• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Montecristo #2

puffnstuff

altruistic pervert
Well, what can I possibly say that hasn’t already been said about this classic?
Nothing, I’m sure, but it only feels right to pay homage to a cigar that provided me such a fan-friggin’-tastic smoking experience.
I’ve had nearly-zero previous experience with real Montecristos before today. I did, however, have a Petit Tubo a while back, which was quite nice, otherwise all I’ve had are the Dominican #2’s…which, now I know, is like a new Harley D. owner saying that he’s ridden a unicycle before.

My reviewing skills leave plenty to be desired, but Beefcube requested that I give it a go anyway.
(Much props out to bfreebern for providing this wish-list fulfillment!)

Having said that…

OOOOOOooooooEEEEY!
The moment I pulled this beauty from the single-cigar zip-lock bag in which it was sent to me, I took a whiff and was blown away by the lovely, sweet, almost raisin-like scent.
I clipped about 1/2” from the cap, took a pre-light draw (which was perfect; not too tight, not too loose) and noticed remote hints of vanilla.
With that, I couldn’t grab my lighter and a bottle of Henry Weinhard’s Gourmet Root Beer quickly enough to get the hell out to the garage to light it up.
The first couple post-light draws were surprisingly spicy. Not too much so, but I didn’t expect any spice at all. The spice didn’t last much longer than about a 1/2” before it gave way to the more sweet, smooth and creamy flavors that I was expecting.
At about the 1/3 mark, it seemed to settle into the groove that would last for the rest of the smoke. Also, it was about this time that I finally connected the dots between this smoke and the slight similarity in flavor that it had with the few other Havanas I’ve experienced. Not that it tasted the same at all, but I think I’m beginning to be able to distinguish what Cuban tobacco, in general, tastes like.
Back to the individual characteristics of this #2… What I could discern in flavor from the gobs of smoke it was providing was vanilla and (here’s where I’m probably be making a fool of myself) Ovaltine!
Alright, alright, if not Ovaltine specifically, then at least pre-mixed-with-milk cocoa.
It stayed consistent and true to the last 1” or so, at which point I let it die a respectable death. “…it’s better to burn out, than to fade away” …and fade, It hasn’t. I’m currently enjoying the finish that this curvy, medium-bodied’n’sexy smoke left me with.
Construction was flawless and it burned perfectly without a single need to be corrected.
I found myself silently thanking the gods-of-the-leaf with every puff I took from this stick-o-heaven.

Ummmm…I like Montecristo #2’s. :D

This one came from a box of 03’s or 04’s. I can NOT imagine what one of these with some real age on it would be like.

Wow! Nice review. :thumbs: I have only smoked one of these myself, but I would have to agree with you. One outstanding smoke.

I could never get excited about these but I'll grab one every now and then for variety.

puffnstuff said:
“…it’s better to burn out, than to fade away”
[snapback]173065[/snapback]​

Kurgan from the Highlander

Nice Review!

That tingling coffee ground taste with a background of cuban twang in the last quarter. Mmmm. Mmmm.

Nice review. Just got my hands on a 5-er...thanks to mrjingles usa. Can't wait to smoke another one. I WAS ALMOST OUT. :(

Thanks again for the review and the reminder. :p

I had one of these yesterday and all I can say is WOW! A very nice smoke and I really enjoyed this Monticristo Vitola.

:cool:

Young these can be pretty in your face but with a little age they can be one of the smoothest smokes going.

This must have been a youngin then, but I do enjoy that taste. You'll never guess what aged premium ISOM I am smoking at a wine party tomorrow night ;) . I'm finally breaking into that sampler!

:cool:

lucasbuck said:
Young these can be pretty in your face but with a little age they can be one of the smoothest smokes going.
[snapback]174856[/snapback]​

Sheriff has smoked something other then Cohiba? Blasphemy!

puffnstuff said:
This one came from a box of 03’s or 04’s. I can NOT imagine what one of these with some real age on it would be like.
[snapback]173065[/snapback]​

I am very patiently aging a No.2. I wasn't too impressed with the No.2, so I'm hoping in time with age it will change my mind.

coventrycat86 said:
I could never get excited about these but I'll grab one every now and then for variety.
[snapback]173125[/snapback]​

Ditto -- these don't really do anything for me. I'm glad that puffnstuff enjoyed it tho!

Monte #2 is one of my favorite ISOMs. Very nice review! This are so creamy and give off a lot of smoke with every draw - a real pleasure to smoke. :thumbs:

I had always hoped that the monte #2 would be my first cuban. BUT, a friend of mine brought me a cuban cohiba Siglo 3, so that's the one cuban I've had. It was pretty good, but it was very old, and had not been taken very good care of. I've always heard that #2's are pretty inconsistant...when they are great, they are the best...if you get a great one! Thanks for the review, it was very helpful and just makes me more determined to try one!

lucasbuck said:
Once in a while. Just to confirm that Cohiba is still peerless ;)
[snapback]174874[/snapback]​

You hit it right on the mark! Cohiba is the best!
Ree

ree ree robusto said:
lucasbuck said:
Once in a while.  Just to confirm that Cohiba is still peerless ;)
[snapback]174874[/snapback]​

You hit it right on the mark! Cohiba is the best!
Ree
[snapback]175060[/snapback]​

They may be, but I would rather get a box of PSD4s and a box of RASS, HdM Epi #2 or Monte #2s for the price of one box of Cohiba.