• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Montecristo #2

flamchop

65/65
I received this smoke in a trade a while back. This is my first time smoking the legendary Montecristo #2.

The cigar had some give in the fingers... not too firm. I've heard about how these can be hit or miss as far as the taste and the draw, I figured what better time to find out than on the last day of 2008. Perfect time to bring the year to a close with a Cuban that has a few years on it.

I clipped and took a draw. Mostly a cedary tobacco flavor... no grass, no ammonia. The wrapper was in decent shape, the only flaw being a few nicks around the foot from handling. I noticed a fair amount of tooth, much more than on the Monte Edmundos I've been smoking.

I torched the foot and was greeted with a slight coffee flavor and the faintest amount of spice and cream. After a few draws I had to re-clip as it seemed to be tightening up on me. The draw never really opened up until the last few inches, but I was able to get enough smoke out so it wasn't too bad. For me, the smoke remained mellow throughout with flavors of very mild coffee and woodiness. As the smoke progressed, I felt the flavors and the power getting stronger. The spicy flavors picked up around the halfway point, and by the final third they were gone and it was just wood, leather, and tobacco until the end... with a lasting finish. No burn problems at all.

This being my first Monte 2, I know I have to smoke a few more to really get a good feel for them. But my first impressions are that while this smoke has lots of flavor, it isn't quite a full-bodied smoke, at least not in comparison to others I've been smoking. The flavors were nothing but pleasant, and I enjoyed the smoke. I just wish the draw had been a bit better. The sweetness that was present in the Edmundos wasn't present here. In all honesty, I'm not sure if any of the Montecristos fit my ideal flavor profile... but I have a lot more sampling to do!

What I'm wondering is, did you pick out this cigar at the same time I was picking out my Monte 2?? :laugh: Man that is just sooo coincidental. I wasn't even planning on smoking a Monte 2, but something else entirely. :whistling: Mine was a definite medium in strength and that probably means full to most as I'm pretty used to the strong ones nowadays. Absolutely fantastic cigar! Great review Mike!

What I'm wondering is, did you pick out this cigar at the same time I was picking out my Monte 2?? :laugh: Man that is just sooo coincidental. I wasn't even planning on smoking a Monte 2, but something else entirely. :whistling: Mine was a definite medium in strength and that probably means full to most as I'm pretty used to the strong ones nowadays. Absolutely fantastic cigar! Great review Mike!

Ha maybe! I picked it out around 3:00pm :) I knew I was going to smoke this one because I've never had one, and I need to smoke a few more to get a good grasp on them. I hear such wonderful things about them I can't really make a judgment from just one so I'll probably post another review after I smoke a couple more down the road for comparison. I really think the draw problem in mine is what muted the experience for me. :(

I like the Monte #2's. The problem for me with these is that they are usually rolled tight and have lots of problems with plugged ones as well. When you get a good one (draws well) it can be a fantastic cigar. When you factor in the price however(considering all the plugged one's) they are not a great deal.(and frustrating as well!). I've stopped buying these for now and have moved on to other vitolas.

I like the Monte #2's. The problem for me with these is that they are usually rolled tight and have lots of problems with plugged ones as well. When you get a good one (draws well) it can be a fantastic cigar. When you factor in the price however(considering all the plugged one's) they are not a great deal.(and frustrating as well!). I've stopped buying these for now and have moved on to other vitolas.

That is very bad luck for you then Lemon. When I think of model construction, burn, draw, and just overall performance, I think of the Monte #2. I've smoked many out of many boxes from many years, and I can't say I've had one that was plugged. I've had a couple with firm draws, but nothing that affected the cigar much.

Better luck next time!