• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Montecristo bands

Omskakas

I have several Montes (regular line) bought as singles with different bands, some cigars with embossed and some without embossing. I'm trying to guess which of them are the oldest. Cuban cigar website tells about current (2006) band that Early bands & special releases embossed - later bands not embossed. I'm guessing that none of them are older than 2006. Does this make embossed cigars the oldest? Or are there more recent cigars with embossed bands? If you don't know the answer, please go check your Montes year and if the bands are embossed or not, thanks!

My 2008 sublimes are embossed but 2006 robustos were not. Strange.

I have several Montes (regular line) bought as singles with different bands, some cigars with embossed and some without embossing. I'm trying to guess which of them are the oldest. Cuban cigar website tells about current (2006) band that Early bands & special releases embossed - later bands not embossed. I'm guessing that none of them are older than 2006. Does this make embossed cigars the oldest? Or are there more recent cigars with embossed bands? If you don't know the answer, please go check your Montes year and if the bands are embossed or not, thanks!

My 2008 sublimes are embossed but 2006 robustos were not. Strange.

Search is your Friend! ;)

Search is your Friend!
wink.gif

I might be stupid, but the link didn't help me at all.
unsure.gif

"There are special packaging, of course, but none that I've ever seen like this. FWIW, the ES serial number prefix would put the boxing date around late 2003 early 2004 so this fits with the higher end of your age estimate. Non-embossed flat bands would also be appropriate for that time frame."

Then you may have missed this part.

Basically, it's Cuba. it's a mix of bands for a few years, thus...it could be either.
It's important to some folks to get the box code info when buying and trading...or should I say that it is important.

Also, search some more, this topic has been discussed further and the linkn I provided was a starter.

Does that help?

I might be stupid, but the link didn't help me at all.
unsure.gif

"There are special packaging, of course, but none that I've ever seen like this. FWIW, the ES serial number prefix would put the boxing date around late 2003 early 2004 so this fits with the higher end of your age estimate. Non-embossed flat bands would also be appropriate for that time frame."

Then you may have missed this part.

Basically, it's Cuba. it's a mix of bands for a few years, thus...it could be either.
It's important to some folks to get the box code info when buying and trading...or should I say that it is important.

Also, search some more, this topic has been discussed further and the linkn I provided was a starter.

Does that help?

^^^This helps. Thanks. So, basically you can't tell from embossing or lack of it, if it's 2006 or 2009? I'm not selling on trading those Montes, I just like to know which one to smoke first. I know I have genuine Cubans.

^^^This helps. Thanks. So, basically you can't tell from embossing or lack of it, if it's 2006 or 2009? I'm not selling on trading those Montes, I just like to know which one to smoke first. I know I have genuine Cubans.
The non embossed bands are older

That's great info right there. In fact the embossing has (and I think still is) been optional for montecristo cigars since the transition to new bands. The more valuable the stick, I think, the more likely to see embossing.

Also, I frequently see the embossing off-centered, they've had a hard time managing that level of precision. So, if you're thinking authenticity or aging, lack of embossing is a bad indicator but presence of embossing is a great one.