• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Montecristo Cuban box holograms

AVB

Jesus of Cool, I'm bad, I'm nationwide
I've seen a number of Montecristo Cuban #4's, #2's and even some #1's for sale on the net. Some claim that the hologram in the right hand corner is "proof" that they are real while others say that not all have the hologram. Anyone know the real story about this?

I know that the hologram is a new counter measure put on the box by the government of cuba. On boxes from 2000 and up contain the hologram, new seal (which by the way glows under a black light revealing the crest from the left side in the middle, and the serial numbers on the right turn black, while the alpha letters stay red, also new factory codes were issued as you may already know). But even with all this, a counterfeit can still be made. Most likely not, if purchased out of the country(i.e. Spain, England, Canada, etc.) Well, enough with the CIGAR 101, if it's cuban tobacco(and you can tell), and you got it cheap.....then you got a deal! That's the way I see it. :D

LMAO, just FYI. There is a guy whom I recieved a couple of Esplendido's from. When I recieved them, I could tell that they were fake (the label was NOT right, there was no tripple-seam cap, The wrapper color was off, the taste was WAY off). I emailed him my results and he emailed me back with... ARE YOU SURE. I said yes I am pretty sure, I can tell a fake when I see one. He said alright sounds fair and sent me off another sampler of cigars this time he sent (2 Fohiba Esplendio's, 2 Fohiba Robustos, and 2 Fake (not sure on these) Partagas Serie D No. 3 EL) The cigars came in a PSD3 EL box WITH that stupid hologram on it. (he was trying throw me off with that box I could tell) Now the box looks completly legit ( I stared it UP and DOWN and it has ALL seal PLUS that stupid hologram (which does look cool) and there is not one difference between that box and those I have recieved before) but the cigars inside the box were off. I could tell that THESE Cohibas were fake mainly because there was a slight disscoloration of the band (VERY MINOR) but the BIG one was the comma bettween Havana , CUBA. The comma was more of a dot where on my legit Cohiba's there is A DISTINCT comma WITH a tail. Plus there is no tripple seam cap on any of them. (I won't BOTHER to smoke any of those) I am however sceptical about the PSD 3 EL's The bands look legit and so does the wrapper on the cigar along with the box. The roll does look off along with the cap compared to the other 2 I have. I am pretty sure it is fake but don't want to make that call until I am possitivly sure. BTW, matt and emo if you read this I should have the Fohibas we talked about previously out to you by monday please let me know what you think! Thanks guys it'll help this guy sleep better at night. So I think I am gonna hafta smoke one of the PSD 3 EL's to see if the taste is on. I really doubt it will be and that is why I wrote all of this. I believe that the box is fake (a good one) and so are the cigars (he says they came IN that box). Anyway, just don't take the holo seal as a "SURE" legit cuban before you give it the once over. As far as I am concerened fakes are easy to spot as long as you are looking for them.

Phil

Not meaning to thread jack here- but a while ago- I saw an ad for some Monte (somthings- #4's if I remember?) for sale on ASCM, the guy happend to be in Dallas, TX - and I live in one of the suburb's of big D, so we agreed to meet- I bought the boxes (2 of them) thinking they were 100% legit (I didn't know d!ck at that point). The bands were real, and the box was real- the cigars were not. I was lucky- the guy owned up to "not knowing if they were real for sure", and offered me a full refund! Lucky Toaster!!!

You can buy cuban bands and boxes on EBAY for crying out loud. (those pos sellers!)

Lastly- I've got some friends who have actually been down there to Cuba, and most of the Cohiba's IN cuba are fakes... Still cuban tobacco but not cohiba's, they tell me they are still pretty good! :D I ordered some years ago off Yahoo auctions, and I think they were fakes, but were excellent cigars none the less....

:thumbs: Toaster

Ya, I have read a lot about the street hustlers and corner shops that have nothing BUT fakes. I have been told that when in cuba you need to buy from the factory shops. I personally would not want to purchase cubans from ANYWHERE in Cuba for fear that they can get the bands even easier than we can on ebay!!!!

Legit cubans are like phantoms. People make fakes and counter-measures and all that jazz (queue up Chicago) all the time. In the end, you can't really be sure what you have is legit. Even if you buy from a legit source, what's to prevent them from sending you some really high quality knock-offs and slipping the real bands on them? Boxes can be opened and resealed with relative ease. Purchasing from a more guaranteed source just means a better piece of mind, IMO. As much as I went to delve into buying cubans, it's like diving into shark infested waters. Everyone and their dogs is trying to get a piece of the cuban cigar pie.

Just another .02 from the phish. As you can tell by the analogy with the sharks above... phish and sharks don't get along. :D

Usually most fake cigars are not rolled properly, for example, no tripple seam cap, a lot of times a box pressed cigar WILL NOT BE boxed pressed when you know it should be, off colors in the wrappers (don't use this w/monte #4's because I have seen them all the way to light green), usually fakes don't cut properly (If I have a cigar that just goes to hell after I cut it I have to wonder because it's only happened once or twice w/a real cigar and they were domestics other than that I have never had this issue with ANY ISOM cigar that was genuine. I has happened on 2 fakes though. I think I could tell if I got a knock off, even a high qualitly one. As long as I have had the cigar before, the blend and flavour would be the only true way. Usually initially apon lightup I have been able to tell instantly. Now I am not saying in everycase I can pull the fake, but, 99% of fakes give telltale signs that they are so. and the other 1% reveals itself once you light it! I believe I have a very high quality knock-off and even before I had tried the legit blend of Esplendido I knew that was not right. Now I have broken down and tried a legit Esplendido and I knew from the second that I sparked it up I was right w/the fake too. My .02 on that subject. I would also be willing to send you one of these fakes for the subject of learning.

LMK

Phil