• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Montecristo No. 3 - 43 x 5.59" 2007

Spanishcedar

Premium Grade Lumber Stock
My humidor rests at 65F and 66% very consistently. I bought a box of ten of these a little over a year ago. I've smoked them all (while gifting 2 or 3) from then up until now. I smoked one when I first got the box and it smoked green and drew way too tight so I waited a couple of months and had another one... decent. I continued to smoke them off and on and they got a little sick around 4 mo. into it so I waited a couple more months before I tried another one and the sickness had passed.

Today I went outside with my dog and the last Monty no 3 and clipped all the way past the third cap. I normally like to take off as little as I can but these have all been tight so I went ahead and took off quite a bit as I had to do with the rest of the box. To my utter surprise it drew nicely, only slightly constricted but very comfortable to draw on now. Cold, the spice that I always taste on an unlit cigar was present. I warmed the foot with rising aromas of caramel and tobacco, very pleasant, the warmed draw was sweet.

On walking the trail behind my house up to my smithy, I stopped half way in the warm sunlight and fired her up with a wooden match gently caressing the edges of the foot with the heat of the flame and rolling it as they lit. Puffs of smoke getting increasingly thicker and thicker.

Fully lit now, I continued to the forge with the cigar in my hand not knowing what to expect from the first deep draw. Pulling a mouthful of smoke... young flavor, "Damn". This green taste continued about 1/8 of the way in and it began with a leathery hint engulfed with a woody medium body. The woody flavors continued to lessen as leathery notes increased. The two flavors met in the middle and continued for 1/2 of the cigar.

Starting the second half, hints of a roasted coffee began to emerge. All woodiness gone, the leathery hint remained.

Last third, with billowing puffs, chocolaty draws began making for a delicious finale incomparable to the rest of the box... this one was certainly the diamond in the rough.

Unfortunately the last third of the last cigar was the best of the whole box. If I were to get another box of these I wouldn't even touch them for at least 1 1/2 years. I won't be buying any more no. 3's and I am utterly shocked at the difference between these and the Monty no. 2's.

Sorry no pics, was slightly occupied by straightening up the clutter around the forge.