• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Montecristo Peruvian - Buena Fortuna (REVIEW)

LGHT

Banned
Montecristo Peruvian - Buena Fortuna
(5 x 47)

montip.jpg

Produced by Menendez & Garcia in the Dominican Republic, the new Montecristos are solidly square-pressed and wrapped English Market Selection wrappers from Jalapa, Nicaragua. The filler is identical to the regular Montecristo line, with the exception of Peruvian ligero added for extra strength.

Recently received the cigar in a PIF and I've heard of them, but never tried one before. I don't believe they are very popular, but a great smoke for the price. The wrapper was very dark and had firm box press. Wrapped in a nice Nicaraguan leaf you could smell the dark full flavor smoke yearning to be taken. The construction seemed perfect and I always enjoy box presses as the burn seems a lot slower than normal.

The flavor was somewhat harsh upon lighting, but the short cigar hard enormous amounts of dark chocolate and earthy taste. It was the equivalent of a dark chocolate bar. You still could pick up a slight hint of spice as the smoke continued. This was a very unique tasting cigar that I was really starting to enjoy as it's power increased slightly. It also smoothed out quit a bit after the first 1/2" or so. The burn was great and it smoked very slow for it's size. Around the half way point of the cigar it did get a lot stronger, and started to heat up a bit, but nothing a purge couldn't resolve. I smoked the cigar with a nice cup of dark roast coffee that added a perfect little side taste between herfs. The richness and full body of the cigar was becoming more and more obvious as I was about down to the last inch. I believe the Peruvian ligero added a nice addition to the regular Monti's as they typically are more toward the medium full body.

This was a great new taste that I enjoyed quit a bit. Can't wait to pick up a box and let them rest for a few years!!

Appearance: 7/10
Construction: 8/10
Flavor: 17/20
Finish: 7/10
Smoking experience: 16/20
Aroma: 7/10
Overall impression: 17/20

Total: 79/100

Except for the initial harshness, these are pretty decent cigars if you get the Maduro wrappers. As they age they just get better and better. The sharpness at the beginning goes away. Yum

Very nice review; thanks!

I love cigars with Peruvian tobacco; very unique taste. :love:

Anyway, I highly suggest that you try the maduro. The Broadleaf wrapper on it is really nice. Also, try the Padilla Hybrids and let me know what you think!

Thanks again for the review!

emodx said:
Except for the initial harshness, these are pretty decent cigars if you get the Maduro wrappers. As they age they just get better and better. The sharpness at the beginning goes away. Yum
[snapback]202580[/snapback]​

LC-Smoker said:
Very nice review; thanks!

Anyway, I highly suggest that you try the maduro. The Broadleaf wrapper on it is really nice.

[snapback]202775[/snapback]​

I have to agree, the broadleaf wrapper makes this a much nicer cigar. I keep them around always...just in case. Spicey little cigar.

Thanks for the review. :thumbs: