• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Montego Bay... any must see destinations?

Allofus123

Here ducky, ducky, ducky!
Wife and I will be there in a few weeks and its a first visit for both. This trip is a leisure trip and we are not planning any strenuous, exhaustin, or demanding activity (no beaches/swimming/snorkling etc.)so we're looking more for light sight seeing or must eat at places. Its a one day stop on a cruise so we'll be limited to about 8 hours. Our other two port of calls we know well and have an itenerary for them. Any suggestions appreciated.

Kenny,

If you have the opportunity to check out Dunn's River Falls, do it - just make sure you wear a bathing suit! There is likely an offering for Dunn's River as a part of the ship's concierge services - the extra little charge is well worth it - the place is incredible...

Wiki on Dunn's River Falls

I would call this "moderate" sightseeing - I would not consider this "strenuous", but it is cool.

dunnsriver2.jpg

If you're able, do the Appleton Rum tour - That's another great experience

Any "Jerk" stand is a great place to stop. "Jerk" chicken and pork (moderately to very spicy) would likely be very much to your liking.

My parents went to the falls when they went there last year. They really enjoyed them. Said it wasn't too strenuous at all.
B

Kenny,

If you have the opportunity to check out Dunn's River Falls, do it - just make sure you wear a bathing suit! There is likely an offering for Dunn's River as a part of the ship's concierge services - the extra little charge is well worth it - the place is incredible...

Wiki on Dunn's River Falls

I would call this "moderate" sightseeing - I would not consider this "strenuous", but it is cool.

dunnsriver2.jpg

If you're able, do the Appleton Rum tour - That's another great experience

Any "Jerk" stand is a great place to stop. "Jerk" chicken and pork (moderately to very spicy) would likely be very much to your liking.
Sure looks like the place to go see. :) :thumbs:

I was going to recommend Dunn's River Falls as well, but I wasn't sure if it was too active based on the low-impact parameters. It's not strenuous like rock climbing or anything, but it isn't a stroll down the boardwalk eating ice cream either.

I did it back in 1990 or so, and some jerkass up in front of us insisted on lugging his gigantic VHS camera along the entire way. Of course, to nobody's surprise but his, he dropped the sucker from a pretty good height and it bounced and shattered its way down the waterfall.

I'd just find a big bag of weed and smoke about 342 joints while people watching.

Uhhhh...wait, nevermind. :D

Dunn's River Falls is probably a ton of fun, except about 50% of the people on your ship, plus the people on the other 2-5 ships in port that day will be doing it. Imagine trying to negotiate NYC crowds during rush hour, except you're doing it on a waterfall...

I'd recommend the Appleton Rum Tour mentioned already. Or, despite your caveats, try one of the Canopy tours. They drive you up to the top of mountain, you get in a harness and ride zip lines down through the tree tops. It's really quite cool. And it's remarkably safe as well, and I say this having been a high rigger and climbing gym manager for many years. There's a ton of duty free shopping right next to the dock, but there might be better deals to be had in your other ports. I have found that liquor deals in Jamaica are not very good compared to everywhere else I've been.

If I remember my Jamaican geography correctly, there may not be time to get all the way down to the distillery to make the tour if you're on;y there for 8 hours. Not unless there's nothing else you want to do. But like I said, that's if I remember it correctly.

Depending on what time you're there, I think a trip to Rick's Cafe in Negril to watch the sunset should be on the menu. Best place on the island to watch the sunset, great bar with a bunch of mixed drinks made with fresh fruit, and you get to watch guys dive from the top of threes on top of cliffs into the water below.

Edit:
http://www.rickscafejamaica.com/index.php