• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

More Fake Cohibas

ulster

The differences should be obvious. In all pictures the fake is in the middle. I just cropped pictures of the bands to show - but I can take pictures of the foot and whole cigar if people are interested.

These were bought in Cuba from a co-worker of a family member in Canada. They came my way as a gift - and as soon as the two cigars were given to me I saw the inconsistencies of the bands.

For some reason I never thought that I would come across fakes - but by way of a "friend of a someone who went to Cuba" here they are....

Bands1.jpg

Bands2.jpg

Bands3.jpg

bandsback3.jpg

Through my newbie eyes the last two pics show the middle cigar to be a larger RG, is that the case? Also, the first two pics show the fake with a lighter shade of wrapper. When comparing the font to two real ones, the differences are obvious. The "H" in Habana is a real give away and the (newb term alert) "thickness" of the font is different. But if you didn't have the real ones to compare to, how many could distinguish? Have you smoked it yet or do you intend to?

Through my newbie eyes the last two pics show the middle cigar to be a larger RG, is that the case? Also, the first two pics show the fake with a lighter shade of wrapper. When comparing the font to two real ones, the differences are obvious. The "H" in Habana is a real give away and the (newb term alert) "thickness" of the font is different. But if you didn't have the real ones to compare to, how many could distinguish? Have you smoked it yet or do you intend to?

I couldn't tell right away, but like Moe said, how can you distinguish when you're "out there" at some douche's cigar table, when he's trying to haggle you?? What are some things you look for?

You really just have to be familiar with the genuine article. I'm pretty sure what I'm about to say is true, I apologize in advance if I'm mistaken. The font would be the fist give away. The H is way off, and the curl atop the C shouldn't cross back into itself. Also the dots are a little too close together.

You really just have to be familiar with the genuine article. I'm pretty sure what I'm about to say is true, I apologize in advance if I'm mistaken. The font would be the fist give away. The H is way off, and the curl atop the C shouldn't cross back into itself. Also the dots are a little too close together.

Exactly - its all in the font and "dots" on the band. I didn't have an exact cigar size to match in the old style band - but then again you wouldn't find an exact match - the sizing is way off on the fake.

Just got back from Mexico you should have seen how many glass top Cohiba 3 packs were being sold on the beach. Managed to save one guy from buying but watched many others get sold from a distance. Its amazing how many people were buying the obvious fakes never mind the ones with the subtle differences.

Notice too the slightly raised gold lettering on the legit and the flat gold lettering on the illegit. The dies to emboss the gold lettering would be expensive.

Like others have stated, some of the easiest ways to tell a fake by the band is the Font on the H and the C. Another telltale sign that isn't prevalent here on this label is on lot of the fakes, the I in Cohiba is usually too close to the H and not spaced correctly. The last thing to look at are the white squares in the band, are they uniform or not.