• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Moreeke?

About four year ago I was in Amsterdam with my wife and journeyed into a pub to grab us both a glass of red wine. I was not a beer drinker at the time but two short elderly Irish brothers talked me into trying a "special" beer they had on tap. How could I say no? It was a deep amber with a thick creamy head. Malty sweetness and none of what I (as a non-beer drinker) would call that hoppy bitterness. I fell in love.

For the remainder of our stay all I wanted to do was drink big mugs of this "special" beer. They called it special. I still don't even know what that means. I think it was made by either new Holland or Bavaria, and though I have had to guess at the spelling I think it was named "Moreeke."

Anyone tried it or know anything about it? I would pay a king's ransom to get some more, if it is in fact the beer I had. My limited search on-line turns up a "B" grade, but not much more. As a non-beer connoisseur I would appreciate learning more about this flavor profile and other beers that might take its place. I drink Guinness now, as an alternative, but it's not quite the same. Not as sweet, less malt, or something.

Having never tried it I am not sure what would be close to it, but you may want to try some other easily available Belgian Ales. A lighter Belgian Pale Ale would be a good choice like De Koninck or something similar or maybe even Orval.

Belgian ales are not typically hoppy but some of them do have unusual flavors not typically present in other beers.

....probably had hash oil in it....
laugh.gif