• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Most disappointed stick of 2015

jsm11

Secret Squirrel
So, what new release were you hyped on, yet it fell flat...

Me: Padron Damaso

And it's not that it was a bad stick, just not up to the hype IMO, or to my expectations...

Last edited:
Damn it good question.
I'm going with the 2015 Crowned Heads Las Calaveras. Based on the 2014 release, the hype was off the charts and I should have known better than to buy 3 boxes.
It's good....just not 3 boxes good.
Also, that Damaso is a close second.

Wow, I almost bought some Damaso the other day...glad I didn't now.

I'm sort of under a rock when it comes to new releases, but hopefully hanging out with y'all will help me stay on top of the finer things in life.

I saw a stick, today, at my local B&M that definitely disappointed me this year.

I know we all have different tastes, so hope this doesn't offend.....but I didn't like the Kentucky Fire Cured Fat Molly.

If I was at a BBQ cookoff or smoking a brisket or pork butt, it would probably go fine with the smoke in the air.

As a standalone, the heavy wood smoke flavor was overpowering and made me feel a bit queasy.

There's always the chance with a new release that time will help. But I agree the new Las Calaveras was a disappointment. I thought the CG was better than the Robusto, though.

I saw a stick, today, at my local B&M that definitely disappointed me this year.

I know we all have different tastes, so hope this doesn't offend.....but I didn't like the Kentucky Fire Cured Fat Molly.

If I was at a BBQ cookoff or smoking a brisket or pork butt, it would probably go fine with the smoke in the air.

As a standalone, the heavy wood smoke flavor was overpowering and made me feel a bit queasy.

The KFC is a miss in any form for me...

Damn it good question.
I'm going with the 2015 Crowned Heads Las Calaveras. Based on the 2014 release, the hype was off the charts and I should have known better than to buy 3 boxes.
It's good....just not 3 boxes good.
Also, that Damaso is a close second.

Glad I got a box of Churchhills still from the original release, disappointing to hear the blend has not held up. I smoke an original here and there and they're still one of my favorites...

DE Undercrown Shade, and the Warped Corto. Just not much character in the Shade to me, and there is just a strange, rough flavor to the Corto that I'm not sure time in the humi will eventually correct.

DE Undercrown Shade, and the Warped Corto. Just not much character in the Shade to me, and there is just a strange, rough flavor to the Corto that I'm not sure time in the humi will eventually correct.

The Undercrown Shade was my choice, as well. I really like the traditional Undercrown, so I had high hopes for it, especially as I *do* like some milder cigars and I'm not averse to Connecticuts. I had the opportunity to smoke one the other night whilst hanging out with William (Oke & Coke). There just wasn't anything to the Shade, though. I'd like to hear his take on it, as I know he picked up one, as well. Glad I didn't buy a box from online, first...

I happen to like the KFC. It's not an everyday smoke, but as said -- there are times where that character just fits the mood and the situation. It's one of those cigars where you know THAT is the cigar you want to reach for when it's time to reach for it... but not before.

Cubanacan's Hirochi Robaina line. It was good, but not mind-bendingly game-changingly awesome like the cigar bloggers made it out to be. The resulting meltdown between Robaina and the people behind Cubanacan make it clear this was a release not worthy of chasing.

There's always the chance with a new release that time will help. But I agree the new Las Calaveras was a disappointment. I thought the CG was better than the Robusto, though.
Totally agree. The CG was easily best

I knew the Damaso would be a bust before I ever even sampled it. I was hoping for another option for Thanksgiving or Christmas morning with my coffee. Fail...

I know I will start a firestorm with my nomination for the biggest bust for 2015, but here goes. Hands down PSD4. I was gifted one with two years of age on it, and let it set for another four months to settle down after the trip. I was not WOW'ed. I have never tried one before, but why would I go out of my way to acquire a box, take up space to age, when I could just smoke a Padron? Just my two cents.

I really wanted to like the Damaso, bought a few, smoked most of them.....just not getting it done for me. I was hoping for a tasty, complex but mild smoke. Huge disappointment.

None of my sticks are disappointed. They are all happily marinating at 65% :D

....but um...I dont think it was '15 but this year was the first time I got to try it...I really wanted to love the AJ Fernandez New World. It ended up being just so-so to me.

UC Shade here too. I keep giving CT sticks a shot and they just keep letting me down. Hey, can't please everybody!

None of my sticks are disappointed. They are all happily marinating at 65% :D

....but um...I dont think it was '15 but this year was the first time I got to try it...I really wanted to love the AJ Fernandez New World. It ended up being just so-so to me.

UC Shade here too. I keep giving CT sticks a shot and they just keep letting me down. Hey, can't please everybody!
Have you tried the Perdomo Habano Connecticut? It's my favorite Connecticut but the My Father Connecticut CG is also a staple in my humi.

Have you tried the Perdomo Habano Connecticut? It's my favorite Connecticut but the My Father Connecticut CG is also a staple in my humi.

I haven't. I'll have to put it on the list!

I knew the Damaso would be a bust before I ever even sampled it. I was hoping for another option for Thanksgiving or Christmas morning with my coffee. Fail...

I know I will start a firestorm with my nomination for the biggest bust for 2015, but here goes. Hands down PSD4. I was gifted one with two years of age on it, and let it set for another four months to settle down after the trip. I was not WOW'ed. I have never tried one before, but why would I go out of my way to acquire a box, take up space to age, when I could just smoke a Padron? Just my two cents.

Might of had a dud or may just not meet your taste buds...

As they say, different strokes for....

I have a different take on the Shade and the Las Calaveras 15, both of which I really enjoyed though the Shade wasn't in my profile wheelhouse. The Damaso was a big disappointment, but also the Don Carlos Eye of the Shark. I smoked one and it was completely unremarkable. Granted, I've never preferred the Don Carlos line over other Fuente offerings, so YMMV.

For me it was a 5er of Short Story Maduros. Just not a cigar I could get it to with all the hype I've heard about them over he years I had pretty high expectations.

The PSP #2 and PSD #4 also didn't do much for me. The PSP #2 was just blah where as the PSD #4 was not bad per say just not as good as they have been in the past, it had a lot more spice and not very well balanced. I'll give them a few years and it should hopefully mellow out and become a much more enjoyable smoke.