• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

MP3 Players

lucasbuck

Sheriff Buck
I'm tired of lugging my 10 lb. Neuros to the gym so I'm looking for one of the newer mini HD based players. I prefer at least 40gb but 60gb would be optimum. A built in FM transmitter would also be nice. Oh and it must be comatible with .OGG as I'm a bit of a fanatic about sound quality. TIA :)

I dont remember if the iRiver is .ogg compatible, but it definitely does have an FM tuner. :) It's also got a color screen and 6gig hd. The only drawback is that I believe the company is getting out of the mp3 market so dont expect too much support on the product if you have problems with it. However, that also means you can find a great deal on those who have it on clearance. :thumbs:

I like my iPod.....spend a few extra bucks on some high end ear phones... you're ears aren't good enough to pick up the differences between formats in a copact player like these anyway.

I too am an ipod fan I have an original ( 4 gb ) Mini, which has served me like a trooper! I love it, granted formats aren't much of an issue for me. I would really like a new ipod Nano , who knows maybe Santa ( ahem! ) might see I was at least good at it :)

bfreebern said:
I wasn't aware the MP3 players played records?
[snapback]253728[/snapback]​

Isn't it a bit early in the day to start drinking Brandon? I dunno, maybe things are different in the sticks (Busted Feather or wherever it is you live) ;)

I too am an ipod fan I have an original ( 4 gb ) Mini, which has served me like a trooper! I love it, granted formats aren't much of an issue for me. I would really like a new ipod Nano , who knows maybe Santa ( ahem! ) might see I was at least good at it :)

i have a creative zen touch and the wife has an ipod mini. i would go for the creative..longer battery life and pretty small, holds 20 gb and sounds great with my sony ear buds.

I'd go with the Dell Jukebox. You can do more with a jukebox than an ipod...

lucasbuck said:
I'm tired of lugging my 10 lb. Neuros to the gym so I'm looking for one of the newer mini HD based players.  I prefer at least 40gb but 60gb would be optimum.  A built in FM transmitter would also be nice.  Oh and it must be comatible with .OGG as I'm a bit of a fanatic about sound quality.  TIA :)
[snapback]253622[/snapback]​

If you're a sound fanatic, any high quality MP3 or AAC will sound just as good or better than OGG. Your headphones will be the limitation, not the encoder.

I'd steer you towards one of the new iPods... but if FM is a deal breaker for ya, you need to look somewhere else. No other product offers the same total package of hardware, software (iTunes), and the iTunes music store:

http://www.apple.com/ipod/ipod.html

indexfrontside20051011.gif

Some players have more features such as recording, FM, etc., and if that's important to you, go with them -- but I have yet to see a player that combines the ease of use, feature-set, and quality that the iPod offers. The software you use with the iRiver and Dell products just sucks. And then there is the iTunes music store... the ability to store/view photos, and the new video capability. I've actually watched a Lost episode on one of the iPods, it's pretty good.

lucasbuck said:
I'm tired of lugging my 10 lb. Neuros to the gym so I'm looking for one of the newer mini HD based players. I prefer at least 40gb but 60gb would be optimum. A built in FM transmitter would also be nice. Oh and it must be comatible with .OGG as I'm a bit of a fanatic about sound quality. TIA :)
[snapback]253622[/snapback]​

If you want something for the gym -- if that's your primary place to use it -- I'd really recommend the iPod nano instead. No moving parts, incredibly tiny, and the armband keeps it out of your way while you're working out.

It only hold 4gb of music, but it should be more than enough for the gym (1,000 songs or so), and you can swap songs in and out of it very easily:

http://www.apple.com/ipodnano/

indexcompare20050907.jpg
accessoryarmblue20050907.jpg

lucasbuck said:
bfreebern said:
I wasn't aware the MP3 players played records?
[snapback]253728[/snapback]​

Isn't it a bit early in the day to start drinking Brandon? I dunno, maybe things are different in the sticks (Busted Feather or wherever it is you live) ;)
[snapback]253796[/snapback]​

Oh don't be jealous. Shomer shabbos!

:sign:

moki said:
The software you use with the iRiver and Dell products just sucks.
Not necessarily... unless you're also referring to Windows Media Player, which is what I use to organize my iRiver library.

I chose the iRiver for the color screen (before stupid iPods with color came out) and also because I loathe iTunes. The gf has a mini and using iTunes makes me want to rip out my eyelashes one by one.

I just got home from the Apple store looking at iPods. I am asking Santa to bring one to stick under the Hannukah Bush this year.

Believe it or not I think the NANO is Too Small and for the extra $50 I would go for the new 30g Video ipod. It has the new thinner profile (about the thikness of a business card holder) and the new flash memory.

We'll see what happens....

vewyphishy said:
moki said:
The software you use with the iRiver and Dell products just sucks.
Not necessarily... unless you're also referring to Windows Media Player, which is what I use to organize my iRiver library.

I chose the iRiver for the color screen (before stupid iPods with color came out) and also because I loathe iTunes. The gf has a mini and using iTunes makes me want to rip out my eyelashes one by one.
[snapback]254308[/snapback]​

Yes, WMP sucks. :)

What bothers you about iTunes? I think you're the first person I've heard not like it... curious what it is you dislike.

The player is going to be personnal preferance to what all you want to do. I use an iRiver h10 for the gym. I like the way it works - more imprtantly is the earbuds - as moki stated. IMHO the only way to go is Shure E4c. They make a higher end set, but not required for my purpose - the gym. These are hands down some of the best earbuds available and there are deals on ebay all the time.

lkyman - Scott

I use THIS and THESE for my casual listening at work or whenever I want to be anti-social.

I use Winblowz Media Player for organizing my files on the iRiver. Once you get used to it it's not bad.

Hope everyone has a great Turkey Day! :thumbs:

I have had a Creative Zen NX, 30 GB. It was nice, but got a bit too heavy for me. I now have a Creative MuVo Slim 1GB (flash memory). This is an excellent player. Very stylish, handy and had excellent sound quality. Actually from what I've read from reviews, the Creatives seem to have better or at least as good a sound quality as the iPods.