• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

MRN's suggested aging times

texasaero

Cooler Troll
Just received an MRN book. Finally!

I smoke em young. Many smoke well in the last couple of years. Some smoke well right off the plane.

I like tasty cigars just as much as the next guy. But, is it worth the time and effort to store these 3 to 8 years as suggested by MRN? Bang for the Effort?

lucasbuck said:
To me it is. Or you can skip the middle man and buy 'em aged ;)
[snapback]162750[/snapback]​

... The middle man being you? ???

Wildcard said:
lucasbuck said:
To me it is.  Or you can skip the middle man and buy 'em aged ;)

[snapback]162755[/snapback]​

:laugh: Good luck gettin' Craig to part with any of his stash :laugh:

I'm pretty sure he means there are a fair number of places to buy aged cigars. You will of course pay a premium ;)

I personally am not all that excited with the whole aging deal. Most of my favorite Havanas are '04's

Who knows, maybe in a few years my tastes and thoughts on this will change if and when I come to appreciate aged Havanas the way the godd doctor and Craig do.

Bottom line is what YOUR preferences are is what's best for you.

texasaero said:
Just received an MRN book. Finally!

I smoke em young. Many smoke well in the last couple of years. Some smoke well right off the plane.

I like tasty cigars just as much as the next guy. But, is it worth the time and effort to store these 3 to 8 years as suggested by MRN? Bang for the Effort?
[snapback]162739[/snapback]​
I think it can be. The aged cigars I've bought have been superior as a rule. I do think that MRN's descriptions sometimes are over the top (great reference book - but his reviews are hit and miss for me).

I'm really not sure on how long different sticks need to rest - as I have no direct comparisons for older stock - I just haven't been smoking or collecting long enough to have any idea what they tasted like when young.

As far as the Bang for the Effort - if you've got the space and some spare short-term money - then aging your own has a pretty good return, IMO - and is certainly gratifying.

Cheers,

- Oak

It's definitely worth the effort, IMHO -- but try it yourself and see. Buy a box or two of the same brand/vitola. Smoke one every 3 months or so; keep a log/diary, and compare notes as the cigars age.

It is well worth it. IMO there is nothing like a well aged habano. If I had the resources I would definitely age them myself. Since I don't, I buy them aged and don't mind paying a reasonable premium, 25% or less. If your fortunate you can sometimes find well aged stock for almost the same price as current production. I just picked up some '98 Bolvar Coronas for $165.

almost all of my cigars have been purchased young from cuba(less than 3 years old)...wouldnt have it any other way.i age them myself and believe this is a better way than buying aged cigars...the results i get are (in my opinion)way better than any cigar store/internet vendor can achieve.

yes i have patience and the resources to do this(means you have to have a ten year supply too smoke ten year old cigars)and have been doing it since '99(not very long but we all have to start somewhere).

i dont agree with everything mrn says('specially his tasting notes)but i do agree with most of his aging recommendations(minimum aging anyway).

to those guys who buy aged cigars most of the time...try this...about half your purchases get regular retail smokes(ie:less than 3 years)and about half get your aged smokes.in three or four years you will be to the point where you can compare the smokes you age to the ones aged by a vendor/retailer...might be suprised at how much better you can store/age your own smokes.

derrek :)

coventrycat86 said:
Wildcard said:
lucasbuck said:
To me it is. Or you can skip the middle man and buy 'em aged ;)

[snapback]162755[/snapback]​

:laugh: Good luck gettin' Craig to part with any of his stash :laugh:

[snapback]162797[/snapback]​

You got that right :D

The "middle man" being aging sticks yourself. Yes, you usually will pay a premium for aged stocks but it's usually pretty reasonable. I'm convinced that some like their Havanas fresh and some like them aged. Lucky you if you belong to the former group :)

vewyphishy said:
"Full potential realized in 15-20 years."
[snapback]162897[/snapback]​

pffft!
yeah, said the man sitting on a stash of sticks probably numbering no less than in the 5 or 6 digits. ???

Back