• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

My Basement Lounge Project is Officially Underway

sboyajian

After some saving and selling.. I've finally been able to begin my new Project. A fully ventilated, closed off room in the basement. My lounge.

Free from the 101˚ / 90% humidity days of the Virginia Summer and the 5˚ (-5 windchill) winter days that come with it.

The ability to smoke a cigar while I decide to either watch my Sox fight for another World Series or Clint Eastwood tell someone off.

The day has finally come and today I have started my project. Below are some initial pictures of the room. I've determined how much lumber I need as well as drywall. I've located the vent and additional duct accessories. I've also picked out the flooring. With luck, my room will be complete before the middle of September, time allowing.

Picture 1: This is the actual area for the lounge. You can see the chalk line that runs along the bottom of the room. The total dimensions (after finishing) will be 12' 4" x 12' 6" (the nook on the left side of the picture is not included in the dimensions as I will explain later).

Lounge.jpg

Picture 2: This "nook" is 11' x 16". This will used for two things. A 1' panel will be added to the left side of the nook as this is where the air intake from the outside will be located. This will also house the inline duct heater which will help in keeping the room approximately 70˚ when in use. The remaining 10' to the right will be a built in Cabinet Humidor. Shelves along the top with 30" storage cabinets along the bottom.
Lounge2.jpg

Picture 3: This is the view from the far corner (the right side of the picture above). One of the first things I will need to do is to move the vents from the well to the left of the door to the adjacent wall on the other corner. The builder informed me those are only there to provide more air to the utility closet so moving those will not harm anything. The door will be replaced with a french door and will be sealed with heavy duty weather stripping and a heavy duty sweeper.

The wall is noted with a white line. Part of the project is to build a 9' x 12' 4" Exercise room for my wife. She will have a matching French door which will involve relocated the two studs to the right of my door.

For both rooms I will need to build a bulkhead around the HVAC duct that is running crossways from the floor joists above. I will be tapping into this duct for my HVAC for when the room is not in use. The outside intake and inside HVAC will be switched using Electronic Dampers (HVAC Open when not in use, Outside Closed).

Lounge3.jpg

Picture 4: Square Baby!

Lounge4.jpg

Some things I am doing to prevent smoke from escaping out of the room is not putting in can lights. All lights will be wall mountable sconces. We also plan on putting R13 Insulation around the room just to help filter anything additional.

That looks like a good beginning; makes me want to do something similar. Good luck on the project.

A man cave, every man needs one. Looking forward to seeing it finished.

That is very cool. I am currently in the middle of making a Man Cave at my lakehouse. It is just the upstairs of my polebarn but a decent dwelling for the winter.

I'm still trying to convince the boss that when we get married and buy a house someday to let me build my own lounge. So far it seems like she is ok with it, as she loves cigars too...

Damn, that is going to be really nice! Future herf location?

That looks like a great start. Congrats on the Man Cave. Can't wait to see your progress and the end results. Unfotunately, my other half is not keen on the idea and relegates my smoking to the front porch or back patio. It is far from ideal during the cold Northeast winters and humid summers.

I feel for ya man. Nothing fun about smoking in the cold.

Step 1: Purchase Wares - Complete. ;)

Just got back from the lumber store with the following:

76 - 2x4x8's
11 - Treated 2x4x8's
16 - Single Gang Boxes
1 - Two Gang Box
1 - Three Gang Box
4 - Single Pole Switches
20 - 15 amp outlets (two 10 packs).
1 - Dimmer switch (for lights) -- already have the "dimmer" for the vent
New Estwing Hammer (been needing a new hammer for a while)
100' 14/2 wire
5lb box of 16d coated nails

My friend who is helping me will be bringing over his ramset.. I might see if he can do so tonight so I can get a jump.

Once framing is done I have an HVAC guy coming in to determine the work. I have already worked out a trade for him where I develop him a brand new website and he does parts and labor for free.

Works out for both of us.

I have already worked out a trade for him where I develop him a brand new website and he does parts and labor for free.

Damnit... I need to be good at something like that so I can get free stuff....

Wait... I am good at something...

Anyone need someone killed or blown up?

:laugh: Freakin' comedy!!!! Man, PLEASE keep us updated!! I am definitely excited to see this happening... In fact, I think I become slightly excited when I see these threads! Finish it though! :p

And here I was, looking for someone who could draw a straight line. I can hardly wait to see the finished product. I need to come visit the Lurch, then perhaps we can do a herf and christen the room. :laugh:

Very nice job.

And here I was, looking for someone who could draw a straight line. I can hardly wait to see the finished product. I need to come visit the Lurch, then perhaps we can do a herf and christen the room. :laugh:

Very nice job.
Ah hell, the big badass apple AND the grandfather tree, herfing together?!?! :0 I can only imagine what shenanigans would take place!! :laugh:

Looks like a great space, good luck with all the building.

So did I hear that a Herf is at your place after it's done?

What colors are you going to paint the room with? Are you going to get any decorations? I am needing ideas for mine.

I have already worked out a trade for him where I develop him a brand new website and he does parts and labor for free.

Would you take a website as payment? :)

What colors are you going to paint the room with? Are you going to get any decorations? I am needing ideas for mine.
The plan right now is to go with a "cream" color.. just to prevent any dingy white walls. I don't want to go any darker than that as I have no windows, it will just have a single french door which is across from the sliding glass door in the existing basement.

To give the room a bit of an "old world" theme. we're using these wall sconces.

"Candle" wall sconce

My friend drew up a great mock drawing of the cabinet humi, with a bulkhead up top to have some beautiful stuff. That part is going to be a surprise, but I'm sure it will be liked by all.

There will be a few built in bookcases on the side under the duct just to have some more display room. Other than that, I might just print up some nice cigar art, frame it nice with 3" matte and keep it "elegantly simple"

Here are some updated pics.

I've only been able to devote 2 hours last night and 2 hours tonight.. but it's been fairly productive.

Lounge5.jpg

Lounge6.jpg

Lounge7.jpg

Lounge8.jpg