• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

My epic journey

Asel.mike

Professional nerd
That's right, an epic journey. I'll be road tripping in a little over two weeks from Houston, Texas to Rapid City, South Dakota to start my college career. I've worked my butt off this summer, and plan to use this road trip as a vacation before college starts. The trip will last 7-10 days (the route hasn't been nailed down yet) and I'll be driving something like 1700-2000 miles depending on my stops. It should be a great time, as I'll be staying in state and national parks, camping in my hammock and smoking an unholy number of cigars.
Once I post my route, and a rough estimate of when I'll be places, feel free to let me know if you want to get together by PM or by posting in this thread.
My first big question/ dilemma is my cigar storage. I was wondering if anyone could share an effective and cheap way of keeping about 150 cigars cool in my coolidor throughout the trip. I am not opposed to maintaining it daily, or something like that. Would putting in a cold water bottle, or something like that help?

Thank you all in advance for your help, and I look forward to hearing from you all if you're available to herf!

I'll be waiting Mike... Put a wet towel over the cooler, it will keep the temperature lower. When it get's dry, wet it again and repeat...

Could I put it in the humi?
Would that have an effect on the humidity?
I'm assuming I'd have do let the sticks warm up again before smoking.

You don't have many good options here... If you use ice packs, you risk condensation issues and over humidifying your cigars.

Dry ice is made up of CO2 (carbon dioxide), and will condense the air, and most likely decrease your RH, or worse, cause hypercapnia if used in a not so ventilated area. You certainly don't want this to happen.

Just keep the cigars near you and out of direct sunlight, and I'm sure they'll be fine.

Keep us posted on your travels, and have a safe trip!

I kept mine in a Tupperware container with my beads and kept the whole thing in the car with me. I would think on days you are out and not driving the wet towel on the outside sounds good. It should lower the temperature from the outside and not change the internal RH much more than any other cooling option. Drive safe.

How about just taking what you need and have someone ship the rest once you arive at your destanation.

What's wrong with a lock n lock type tupperware with beads or water pillows, our even boveda packs? You can keep them with you and throw a hygrometer with each container. It may take a couple of containers, but they are see through so you can see the hygrometers without opening if you want. Just a suggestion, its what I would do. I'm looking forward to see if there is a better way also. Good luck and enjoy your trip brother.

Yeah have someone mail them to you after you arrive. Take what you want to smoke mail the rest.

What's wrong with a lock n lock type tupperware with beads or water pillows, our even boveda packs? You can keep them with you and throw a hygrometer with each container. It may take a couple of containers, but they are see through so you can see the hygrometers without opening if you want. Just a suggestion, its what I would do. I'm looking forward to see if there is a better way also. Good luck and enjoy your trip brother.

The humidity isn't the issue, its the temperature. If sun strikes the humidor in the back seat, It gets hot FAST.

Yeah have someone mail them to you after you arrive. Take what you want to smoke mail the rest.

This may be my solution, I don't think I can keep the cigars cool enough for such a long time.

If you can plan out your route, and know where you'll be stopping, you could always mail packages ahead to the BOTL you're going to meet and herf with. If they don't mind.

I don't mind if you want to send some stuff to refill your stock to my place, but I know we will be burning through mine while you're here. :thumbs:

If you can plan out your route, and know where you'll be stopping, you could always mail packages ahead to the BOTL you're going to meet and herf with. If they don't mind.

This sounds like a good idea, it's what I would do.

You can have them shipped to my house and pick them up on the 22nd.

My route:

The Hyperlink above shows my route on google maps
I'll be leaving on the 16th
16th:Drive to Carlsbad, Sleep in Carlsbad
17th:Carlsbad Caverns, Drive to Albuquerque, Stay in Albuquerque
18th:See Madrid, Drive to Black Canyon, Stay in Black Canyon
19th:Drive to Taylor Park, Stay in Taylor Park
20th:Drive to Denver, Stay in Denver
21st:Hang out in Denver, Stay in either Ft. Collins or Denver
22nd:Screw around and drive to Rapid City
23rd:The day I need to be in Rapid City

Please tell me your driving the car in your avatar! :thumbs:

I wish!
That's my baby! Unfortunately, she needs some love right now so she wouldn't make it all the way there.
I've got her in storage right now and that's where she'll stay for awhile

Come on CJ you Know you want to cruze in that sweet ass car!