• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

My Father Le Bijou 1922 Petit Robusto- (Preproduction)

BrooksW

[Note: As with all Preproduction cigar previews, this one will be a list of information about the upcoming cigar and general impressions from smoking it. There will be no final rating given, as I believe it is not equitable to rate a cigar that has not yet been finalized and released to the public. Having said that, initial general impressions are almost always accurate. I am also aware of the fact that there are a very few retailers already selling these, but this stick was given to me before they went on sale, thus the "Preproduction" designation.~brooks]

Another one of the sticks that were handed out at the International Premium Cigar and Pipe Retailers trade show in New Orleans., the My Father Le Bijou 1922 is definitely one of the most anticipated by quite a few smokers...

An extension of the EXTREMELY popular My Father blend by Jose "Pepin" Garcia, the new blend is different then the My Father cigars, and they will be available in three sizes: Churchill (7x50), Petit Robusto (4.5x50) and a Toro (6x52). They are expected to cost $12.20, $7.00 and $11.30 respectively.

The new cigars reportedly use an all-Nicaraguan blend and the wrapper is a dark shade and is called Habano Oscuro (Pelo de Oro or "Golden Hair") ...Pelo de Oro is considered the father of the modern corojo wrapper which was made by combining Pelo de Oro and Sumatran tobaccos and the it is lighter than traditional corojo. The original My Father uses Nicaraguan filler and binder leaves, but an Ecuadoran wrapper grown from Habano seed.

Preview_MyFather_LeBijou_PetiteRobusto_01a.jpg

Preview_MyFather_LeBijou_PetiteRobusto_02a.jpg

I had the Petit Robusto (4.5x50) to smoke...It is a dark, brown, toothy wrapper (quite a bit darker then the normal My Father wrapper), and it smelled like tobacco, chocolate and a bit of hay...It is a great size, and is fairly firm when squeezed...

Dominant flavors are a sweet, creamy oak, some dark chocolate, and a bit of pepper...I also tasted some peppermint at the end of the first third, although it did not last more then 7 puffs (and which surprised the hell out of me, as it was the first time I had ever tasted peppermint in a cigar)...

It is Definitely a Medium stick, with a bit of pepper for the whole smoke, but not enough to bump it into the "Strong" category...Total smoking time was one hour 30 minutes (which is a fairly long smoke for such a small stick)...The draw was Perfect for the entire smoke (just a bit of resistance, which I love) and the burn was fine...there was also a LOT of very dense smoke...

Preview_MyFather_LeBijou_PetiteRobusto_03a.jpg

Preview_MyFather_LeBijou_PetiteRobusto_04a.jpg

Preview_MyFather_LeBijou_PetiteRobusto_05a.jpg

Now the important thing I would want to know (if I was reading a review :) is the difference between the new blend and old blend My Father cigars...well, I can tell you that to me, it seems to be a bit more mild (although not THAT much) and there is a fair bit more of a creamy taste that is not as prevalent in the original blend...To me, that makes it a more complex cigar, but definitely a less "stout" cigar as well...

I would recommend picking up a stick or two when they become available, if only to compare to the original for yourself...just don't be surprised if you like the Le Bijou 1922 more...

Preview_MyFather_LeBijou_PetiteRobusto_06.jpg

~brooks

I thought this cigar was better than the original my father and had more flavor and strength.

Nice review, I really like your pictures. What kind of camera are you using?

For me this was the best cigar of the show and I wouldn't be surprise if it was CA #1 cigar of the year for 2009!

For me this was the best cigar of the show and I wouldn't be surprise if it was CA #1 cigar of the year for 2009!

This was one of the 2 best of the show for me...this one and San Cristobal Sungrown. But I think CA's best of '09 will be the LFD Salomon.

I really enjoy the My Father and I'm very anxious to try these. I'd love to see a lancero.

I just ordered 15 from this fella right here, and they look beautiful! I enjoyed your review. :thumbs: