• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

My first bourbon tasting event

PetersCreek

Codger-in-training
On Saturday, October 9th, I attended my first formal bourbon tasting event at a local restaurant, The Spenard Roadhouse. The $40 ticket bought a seat to taste 5 whiskeys brought back from the bourbon chef's recent trip to Kentucky with a few appetizers in between. However, while the Roadhouse promotes itself as having the best bourbon selection in town...and arguably, they do...this wasn't strictly a bourbon tasting, as we'll soon see. Now, this isn't a full blown review of each whiskey tasted. I defer to AVB on that front but I did want to share just a few of my notes from the event. So, first up...

Black Maple HIll, ~8 years old, 95 proof — This orphan of a bourbon is distributed by CVL, who obtain product from various distilleries that meets their blending specifications. The published tasting notes described light maple and nuts in this one. Me, I got the traditional but subtler vanilla character, underscored by some leather, pepper, a touch of honey, and light oak smoke.

Rowan Creek, 12 years old, 100.1 proof — The published notes say some locals argue that Kentucky limestone water gives bourbon part of it's unique character...and the Kentucky Bourbon Distillery in Bardstown is said to have access to the best limestone spring water in the state from Rowan Creek. I agree with the notes about the pronounced buttery mouth feel of this bourbon. Vanilla was also prominent along with cinnamon and other spice flavors...perhaps allspice. I liked this one much better than the Black Maple Hill.

Bernheim Original, 5 years old, 90 proof — From this point on, the bourbon tasting became a wheated whiskey tasting. From the Bernheim Distillery, this is said to be part of a trend toward thinking outside of the bourbon box. Hearing "wheated" I expected bread- or yeast-like notes and was right on the former. There was the typical vanilla flavor, touched with a light, airy bread character. Some mixed, dried fruit flavors were there as well but I couldn't put my finger on one. Pleasant but I'm not sold on the wheat yet.

Old Pogue, 9 years old, 91 proof — Poque is rumored to have been one of the first 3 bourbons in Kentucky (which was part of Virginia back then). This was much more bourbon-like than the previous pour. The vanilla sat on a base of light honey, some undefinable spices, and the most unusual of flavors: botrytis. I love botrytized wines but have never found that flavor note in any whiskey until now. This whiskey had a very similar earthy tanginess, without the sweetness or acidity found in such wines. It was very, very interesting and very good.

Parker's Heritage Collection Wheated Mashbill Cask Strength, 10 years, 127.8 proof — I had never tried any of the Parker's until recently buying (on impulse) the cask strength bourbon edition of this collection. Oh my...but that's another story. This edition is quite nice...okay that's an understatement. Had I not been told, I wouldn't peg this as a wheated whiskey but then, it didn't holler "bourbon" to me either. It has big flavors of dark chocolate, caramel, leather, ripe fruit...including subtle hints of raisin. But all of this was far smoother than the proof would suggest. Oh, it let's you know you're drinking a cask strength but it's mature and self-assured enough not to slap you in the face while saying so. Easily my favorite of the bunch but at $200+ per bottle, Brett won't be buying one anytime soon.

The even was fairly well attended I think, with about 20 folks in attendance. The bonus was running into fellow CPer thatguy as well as a couple of other attendees who partake of the leaf. The event even inspired us to tentatively plan our own bourbon, cigar, and whatever tasting on my deck...come springtime, of course.

Enjoyed your review Brett. I have gone to several events like this but can never remember details after the first 2 or maybe three drinks. I'm guessing you took notes.

Great notes and nice "mini" reviews. Sounds like a good time....:thumbs:

The event even inspired us to tentatively plan our own bourbon, cigar, and whatever tasting on my deck...come springtime, of course.
....when do tickets for that one go on sale...??....:p

Very nice. I haven't tried any of them either so it was good to read about your thoughts.

Is the Parker's Heritage Wheated that expensive up there? That's quite a markup.

Is the Parker's Heritage Wheated that expensive up there? That's quite a markup.

That's what we were told, anyway. I thought it was high, given that I paid about $90 for the cask strength bourbon...it was in the "jewel case" at the liquor store, for Pete's sake. What's the wheated going for down there?

About $80 bucks give or take a couple.

edit to add:

$70 here.

Typically when I order I have a few things to purchase so I can cut down on the impact shipping has.

At Alaska prices, that'll probably work out to about the same price as the cask bourbon. I'll definitely pick one up at that price.

That $200 price tag must've been the restaurant's bottle price.

Nice reviews. I did a review of Rowan's Creek and I think the Old Pogue years ago. The Parker's Collection has 4 bottles out and at least one of them is in the $200+ range so it could be that you saw listed. The current 10 yo is about $80 as stated.