• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

My first BTL

statelandman

Thanks to a gracious BOTL, I got to smoke my first BTL last weekend. Now I understand what all the hub-bub is about. It was without a doubt one of the finest tasting smokes I've ever had the opportunity to enjoy. I had to savour it slowly with nothing but a glass of icewater - no booze to interfere with the flavor.
My thanks again go out to you-know-who. ;)

Next time try one with a nice not cup of espresso. Really brings out the flavors. I find that water often hinders the flavors of a fine cigar.

I've noticed a lot of these infamous BTL's making their rounds this year. Wonder who got there hands on all of them :lookup:

Sorry for the threadjack - but Matt - really? I have always found I seem to get more flavors out if I did drink water until I sorta "knew" what to expect and could then choose drinks appropiately.

What is your suggestion for a beverage when you first try a cigar out?

Sam

for me, beer, wine, coffee, tea, etc. Why? Because I like beer, wine, coffee, and tea. :)

As for the BTL's, most of the reviews of them seem to say they are a good smoke, but not so insanely good as to justify the pricetag. I hope to find out for myself one day... :)

I've seen entire boxes of them for auction on various places, so they must be at least semi-available.

Never tried the BTL but I have read alot of other's reviews and most say that it is an average smoke not worth all of the hype but you seem to really like it alot. I would like to give one a try when I find one. :)

Many folks don't think it is worth the hype.

However a BTL will always have a spot set aside in my humidors ;)

and as long as I don't pay some of these outrageous prices for them, I am fine with spending a little more than normal on a few of them.

Phil

Water does nothing to enhance a cigar much in the same way it doesn't really add to the essence of foods, like a good wine that compliments a nice steak. Certain cigars go well with certain beverages and water is not one of the beverages. I'm no expert on choosing beverages with cigars, but there are certain cigars that match well with cognac, some that match well with a fine scotch and yet others that go good with rum or wine. Each one enhances the other and brings out flavors that may be missed if you're drinking water. Another example is putting parsley in a food dish. It really doesn't do anything to add flavors, as parsley is pretty bland, but, it brings out aromas in some foods, which in turn add to the eating experience.
I think coffee goes very well with many cigars and really brings out flavor profiles in a milder cigar. Often times when I drink water while smoking it does the opposite of what you'd think. It doesn't cleanse the palate, instead it seems to add to the build-up of aftertaste and sometimes ruins a cigar towards the end, making them harsh tasting.
Now, everyone's palate is different and this may not be the case with all smokers. But, it is my experience.

As far as price ratio to worth ratio.... MSRP is $13.50. They pretty much hang well with other Dominican cigars in that price range.

BTL's are a psychological smoke...pretty cigar, rare, with alot of hype...they'd never stack up in a blind taste with comparably priced cigars or even less expensive Fuentes.JMO...and probably the first time in 2 years I disagreed with Matt.LMFAO :p

I don't know if I want to get into the question regarding water and its ability to add or detract from a cigar smoking experience. But I do know that for me, any kind of alcoholic beverage definitely can influence the taste. And for my one (and only) time with a BTL, I didn't want to be influenced by anything but the cigar.

Everyone's tastes are different, Jeff, but to me the BTL is the best of the entire Hemingway line, though I like a maduro classic now and again. It really has nothing to do with rarity, since I can pretty much smoke one whenever.

Statelandman, if you didn't want to be influenced by anything other than the cigar than you shouldn't have anything to drink. :) ;)

Matt R said:
Statelandman, if you didn't want to be influenced by anything other than the cigar than you shouldn't have anything to drink. :) ;)
Helluva idea, Matt! Why didn't I think of that? ???

Matt R said:
Another example is putting parsley in a food dish. It really doesn't do anything to add flavors, as parsley is pretty bland, but, it brings out aromas in some foods, which in turn add to the eating experience.
I agree with the substance of what you said, but... as someone who eats the garnish, let me tell ya, parsley is anything but bland. :)

I do agree completely that drinks just plain go well with cigars. Coffee, beer, tea, cognac, wine, whatever... they all clean the cigar smoke out of your mouth a bit, and add to the taste as well. hell, I've even been known to dip the end of a cigar into some cognac while I'm smoking it.

I don't really like smoking a cigar without *something* to drink along with it, and water just doesn't cut it for me -- for me, it adds to the harshness of a smoke rather than smoothing it out like a beverage with a bit of sugar and other tastes in it does.

moki said:
water just doesn't cut it for me -- for me, it adds to the harshness of a smoke rather than smoothing it out like a beverage with a bit of sugar and other tastes in it does.
Exactly....