• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

My first choir concert.

MrErskine

I know this has nothing to do with cigars, but I am so proud of my choirs that I want to let everyone know.

I am a new teacher, and new to the school that I am at. I am a middle school choir director, and, frankly, middle school has always scared me. I came into a bad situation. I had two, total kids, between three choirs, and nothing to build off of. There was no sixth grade choir last year, so the seventh grade choir is brand-spanking new, and, of course, the sixth grade choir is just getting a jump start. My eighth graders have had 4 directors over the past three years and you can tell that they are wounded from so many people telling them that they are not good enough.

When I came in, I made no apologies for the expectations that I have for them because I know that the talent level is there. The sixth grade took off like a shot, and I was excited from the beginning. They kept getting better and I kept raising the bar for them. The seventh grade grew and grew and grew for 6 weeks, and then it took another 6 for them to start acting and participating as I set for them in my expectations. The eighth grade... Well, they have never had one true set of expectations and they have struggled with me, and fought with me.

Even up to yesterday, I wasn't sure about the eighth grade and how they were going to do. I wasn't worried about the other two, but I felt confident.

I am EXTREMELY happy and proud to announce that not only did they choirs hit a homerun tonight, they FAR exceeded my expectations, and I am SO proud of them. My eighth grade pulled it off, and I think that they are going to go forward now that they know what victory feels like. my seventh grade, I think is about ready to take command and set the new standard between all of my choirs and my sixth grade.... My sixth grade is ready to be the flagship. I know it seems odd to think that the youngest ones are going to be the ones that are my show group, but they don't think that they can do anything but succeed.

I am very proud of them! They showed up the middle school bands, and I am looking forward to whatever is next!!!!!!!!!!!

I know I sound like a new parent, but.... I am very proud of what they have done!

Congratulations! Music is an important part of any well rounded education and a well performed concert can result in goosebumps!

Congrats. My wife is a music teacher and spent a few years doing middle school. Lots of work for an audience of parents who are only interested in seeing their kid. Keep up the good work.

Congratulations!

I sing (bass) in a choir (as well as men's chorale, men's quartet and mixed ensemble) and I also teach young people (non-musical) and I know how difficult directing a choir can be and how difficult teaching kids can be. Put both of those together in one setting and you have my total admiration!!

Keep up the great work!

Bravo! As a veteran of high-octane high-school/competition music, this is great news. Keep that program going! I only wish that I could have finished college with my MusEd degree.

Keep up the good work, and make those kids sing in German. It builds character.

-Chris

Thank you all very much.

It hasn't been easy, but I have seen a change in most of the students from the first dreadful month. As far as I am and have always been concerned, the sky is the limit, and if they'll be pushed more, I'll set the bar higher each time. (I know, combining cliches is bad form.)

I knew of one other person from a choral tradition, BBS though I never knew DesertRat was one of them! The last group I sang with was Lunds studentsångare in Sweden as a first tenor.

Here is a taste

Congrats on the success! You should be proud of yourself also for doing a great job directing them. Middle School is one of the toughest age groups to handle. Well done!