• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

My first CP review

dixieland_conjunction

If it isn't dixieland, it isn't REAL jazz
I picked up, or more correctly had delivered, quite a few c’gars today. This is my first large-scaled purchase of what I consider to be “nice” cigars. As you can read in my profile, I have just recently been able to afford any of substantial value or quantity. After I shipped 5 of the lot’s best (not that I ordered any cheapies this go-round) to Joe.M. for my first newbie 5 blind, I tried to figure out what I was going to sample.

Well, a single in a 5-pack I got for my girlfriend was damaged in transit. Fortunately, it was the only damaged in the whole ~60-stick shipment, but this didn’t affect my obligation to “put it out of its misery.”

Once that was over and I got back from the PO, finally decided on a La Perla Habana Black Pearl Gran Robusto for my pre-scheduled evening session.

Total smoking time: 1hour 10minutes

My reaction:

Appearance & Construction: This had one of the biggest veins I’ve ever seen on a non-seconds stick. I was amazed that this one ever made it past inspectors. However its construction was unaffected. It felt like a Lincoln Log with absolutely not hint of looseness. One characteristic that I’ve not encountered in all my maduro rendezvous was what seemed like a layer of soot on the wrapper. It was pleasantly oily, but black “dirt” came off in addition to the oils. I had to take off my shirt and tie for fear of ruining my sartorial artistry :).

Flavor: I’d heard a lot about its being too strong for people’s tastes. I don’t consider myself to be an experienced full-bodied cigar smoker, but I’m beginning to reconsider my classifications. Even on my empty stomach, it didn’t really intimidate me until I stood up rather abruptly upon finishing. A few lopsided, slow-motion strides and I was back to normal.

I don’t usually use food- or shrubbery-like adjectives to describe flavors, but this definitely had a presence of almonds; very smooth. The aftertastes were quite pleasant.

For the period of the last 15 to the last 5 minutes, it became very spicy. This is the characteristic I seek in cigars: when it gets hot and starts to be peppery, but you don’t want to let the ride end without enjoying it to the last.

Unfortunately, the last 5 minutes were a partial disappointment for such a consistently flavorful sitting. It turned sour on me, but, after being a 70-minute 5.25” x 52 (that’s a looong time for me to take; I’m a heavy puffer), I can’t really complain.

Smoking Characteristics: Along with my shipment came my new Colibri, so get this one lit properly was much less a task that to which I’m accustomed. It was a super consistent, even burn; nice and slow, despite my early efforts to take it in one draw. It did draw a little tight, but considering it was solid enough to have jacked up a car, this was not a deduction. It burned cooler than I prefer, but I’m sure most people don’t like infernos in their mouth as much as I do.

Overall: I’m not fond of the soot issue, but this is one of the very best I’ve ever had. I’ll give it a 90. Based on my past experiences, I should give it a 95-96, but I have to remember all that I have in store with the rest of my shipment. I don’t want to end up with what is essentially a 130 scale because I rated the first few great smokes too highly, only to be bettered and bettered again.

Take these early ratings with a grain of salt…I’m still new to the “nice” cigar arena.

Thanks again for the wonderful site; cheers,
Dixie

Nice review and keep them coming. Keep in mind as you rate cigars that you are basing them on themselves not each other. Thus, just because a stick got a higher review score than another cigar doesn't neccessarily mean it is "better" just that the cigar itself scored high on your scale in relation to everything from construction, to light, to ash, to taste, to whatever critique you use in your scoring. For example OpusX usually scores higher than Hemingways in my scores, yet I prefer Hemingways over OpusX as a regular smoke due to tastes, etc. Doesn't mean I like OpusX "better" than Hemingways, just means that they usually score higher due to construction, smoke, etc.

Hope all that made sense. In the meantime enjoy and will be looking for more reviews.

Sam

Very nice review Dixie! :thumbs:

Keep them coming!

I don’t usually use food- or shrubbery-like adjectives to describe flavors...
LMAO!! "This cigar had a pleasant undertone of Blue Mist Spirea and Japanese Barberry."

Great review Dixie...looking forward to more.

SamGuss said:
Nice review and keep them coming. Keep in mind as you rate cigars that you are basing them on themselves not each other. Thus, just because a stick got a higher review score than another cigar doesn't neccessarily mean it is "better" just that the cigar itself scored high on your scale in relation to everything from construction, to light, to ash, to taste, to whatever critique you use in your scoring. For example OpusX usually scores higher than Hemingways in my scores, yet I prefer Hemingways over OpusX as a regular smoke due to tastes, etc. Doesn't mean I like OpusX "better" than Hemingways, just means that they usually score higher due to construction, smoke, etc.

Hope all that made sense. In the meantime enjoy and will be looking for more reviews.

Sam
Thanks all for the encouragement. If I get a chance to break away for it tonight, I try to post a review of that HdM Dark Knight I’ve been eying all month.

Sam- I was just saying that I expect I don’t have a true bearing of what “good” is yet…..like how typewriters sure beat longhand, but I’ll stick with my laptop.

Cheers,
Dixie

Great review. Very informative and enjoyable to read. Now I feel like I'm giving a review on your review. ;)

A little update:

Now that I have quite a bit more experince smoking premium 'gars, I thought I'd give this La Perla another go.

I just had another one of these beauties a few minutes ago and WOW! Jsut as great as the first. This stick now has the position as my #1 favorite overall.

If you guys can get your hands on one - do. ...but be warned, the soot issue is still present. That's just how they're made I suppose, because this is from a different shipment.

Cheers,
Dixie

Thanks for the update Dixie. I've had very few bad experiences with second or third sticks of the same kind so far. I am starting to detect slight differences though.