• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

My First Review: AF Opus X

Pyre

Back with a vengeance
Seems that everyone and their mother talks about these, so I had to see what all the hub-bub was about. Found them in a local gar shop for $20 apiece, so I bought two. I always buy two; one to smoke and one to store. Quirky?

So after sitting in my humi for about a week, I break one out to give her a go.

Unwrap her and she's beautiful. Perfectly constructed, no flaws.
Cut the end, and the predraw is magnificient. Very easy, but not too easy.

Light her up, and HOLY *&%$! That is one powerful cigar. I must admit, this cigar was too strong for me. Spicy, strong, thick smoke. Must be my newbie palate, but I couldn't enjoy it. Just too strong. I smoked the whole thing and got a wicked nicotine rush. The end of the cigar had kind of like a powdery tangy taste to it.

Sorry I couldn't be more descriptive. I don't feel right posting a "rating" for this cigar, since I didn't enjoy it for mentioned reasons. Maybe in a couple years I'll try this one again.

Pyre

$20 a pop? Which Opus was it?

BTW, do you have a larger version of your avatar.....gotta send that to my brother :D

Don't feel bad...my friends and I smoke these regularly, and some nights they still put me on the verge of puking. Its strong as hades.

Yes, a fairly strong cigar. I make sure not to smoke them on an empty stomach.
Sounds like you either had a Double Corona or a Reserva D'Chateau (which is a churchill size).

The first few times I smoked Opus X, I said "What's the big friggin' deal with these?" but as time goes on, I have come to enjoy these cigars very much.

If I were you, I'd suggest trying a smaller size in the future like a Fuente Fuente or a Perfexcion #5. Others like the "Power Ranger" (which is like a mini-belicoso) but I'm not that fond of them. Gimmie a Perfexcion #5 anyday :thumbs:(that's a 4 7/8 x 40). The Fuente Fuente is a 5 5/8 x 46

The Fuente Fuente is (so far) my favorite size. Only had a couple others. I smoked one at the Baltimore Herf and was in heaven. It's amazing how much smoke these cigars put out. And the draws have been perfect on the recent batch. :thumbs:

If I had to pick one it would be the XxX ( "Power ranger" ) .
Can't get enough of those :D
All the opus are good to me

Bill

Checked my other one I bought. It says "Fuente Fuente" on it, so I guess that's the size? I may have paid a little much for them, but no other shop in my town had them. I received another opus, a little tiny one, in my newbie sampler trade. I'll give that one a go here in a week or so.

they are very great smokes. It's kinda like a "right of passage" that you smoke one. atleast, on this board I would think.

Personally, I like the number #4. But then again, my Opus Shark is still resting in the humi! :D

I've smoked one OpusX, and I couldn't exactly describe its taste :p For a newbie like me, it was certainly a great smoke, but I bet I'd enjoy it more with more experience. It's in the top 3 of my cigars though :D

Pyre said:
Checked my other one I bought.  It says "Fuente Fuente" on it, so I guess that's the size?  I may have paid a little much for them, but no other shop in my town had them.  I received another opus, a little tiny one, in my newbie sampler trade.  I'll give that one a go here in a week or so.
[snapback]180306[/snapback]​

Nope, they all say "Fuente Fuente" on the cello...

As for the strength, yep, young Opus can be barn-burners. :)

For something a little less... robust... try a Series X Opus.