• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

My Humidor & smokes (tell me what I'm doing Wrong)

teal

I figured it was time I posted some pictures of my currently overflowing humidor. My wife got me the humidor for Christmas this year (yes, she's definitely a keeper--she is also responsible for the Hoyo's). My humi was getting a little out of control, so i decided to take rearrange everything, hence all the pictures. The top shelf I'm currently thinking of as my "junk shelf." I've found that having most of the humidification on the top shelf works best. I had a really tough winter here and so I had to bring in some extra humidipaks to help bring the RH up. As the weather changes, I'm switching back to all beads. I use two digital hygrometers (both salt tested: one is +1-2%, the other -9% ALWAYS SALT TEST!!!). I should have taken a picture after I rearranged everything, sorry.

Let me know what you guys think or if you think I could improve the set up with anything (and yes, I know it's TOO SMALL!!)

Clicky!

I don't really know that you ARE doing anything wrong........?

I see you save your cigar bands in there, maybe move em out and you can fit one or two more smokey-smokes??

I don't really know that you ARE doing anything wrong........?

I see you save your cigar bands in there, maybe move em out and you can fit one or two more smokey-smokes??

No, I don't "think" I'm really doing anything wrong, but I'm incredibly anal about humidor conditions, and since I really don't have that much experience with maintaining a humidor through the seasons I'm always on the look out for cigar-care tips and what not. Questions like, "should I be rotating how each cigar sits in the humidor (rolling them over)?" keep me up at night!!

As far as the bands go, I've been meaning to start a cigar-journal where I would tape my bands onto a page and just write a little about each smoke so that I can keep track of what I like/don't like and how age changes the cigar. Of course, I've been meaning to do that for a while now! Plus, I'm on my way to a bbq tonight so I'll definitely be freeing up some room!

No, I don't "think" I'm really doing anything wrong, but I'm incredibly anal about humidor conditions, and since I really don't have that much experience with maintaining a humidor through the seasons I'm always on the look out for cigar-care tips and what not. Questions like, "should I be rotating how each cigar sits in the humidor (rolling them over)?" keep me up at night!!

I can identify with that for sure, but at this point, between searching and trial and error, I'm just starting to hit my stride... I bought an Oust Fan today and installed it in my 250 ct. humi, so I'm anxious to see what happens after a week with that in there. Half of the battle is keeping the lid closed, but you don't have that problem with your glasstop!

As far as the bands go, I've been meaning to start a cigar-journal where I would tape my bands onto a page and just write a little about each smoke so that I can keep track of what I like/don't like and how age changes the cigar. Of course, I've been meaning to do that for a while now! Plus, I'm on my way to a bbq tonight so I'll definitely be freeing up some room!

Yeah, my wife saves em', she saves them in a Isla De Sol box because she thinks they're cool. For me, I save the ones I liked, and it helps ME keep track of my preference, or what I smoked in case I am sitting around wondering about one I had that I can't recall.

Anyways, good luck bro! :thumbs:

Just to share with you my experience... I have my 50 ct. humi in my dorm where the room's humidity fluctuates between 30-40%. With just the foam and 50/50 solution, (I know, I need to upgrade to beads) the humidity in the humi can only reach maybe 53-58%. I have been putting a small shot glass half filled with water in the corner, which brings it to right around a steady 63-64% RH. I suspect that the seal might not be ideal, but I have certainly found that supplemental humidification is a must.

OK its all wrong. Smoke all the cigars and start over from scratch.

Looks great. you'll find that as your humidor gets seasoned over time the way you have to take care of it changes. Its a never ending process but thats half the fun. I rotate my cigars within the humidor. I don't worry about rolling them on there sides but even rotating them isn't a necessity if you have the proper humidity in the entire humidor.

Good luck and enjoy.

I never realized how much time it takes up worrying about cigars, now that I see how much it costs to stock up a humidor I am always thinking about them damn things. Is the temp right? is the humidity right? should I freeze all incoming cigars? what about beetles? Just so many things to protect your investment, but if you're like me, when you do something you wanna do it right so that's all just part of the game, it will be second nature in no time after being on this forum so much. Good luck... but honestly I think it's all preference... if it puts your mind at ease by rotating your cigars every so often then that 's what you should do unless it hurts them, maybe even devote a time during the week for humi maintenance and cigar logs, something I've been meaning to do.

Guys,

You are fine! Don't worry so much about your damn cigars :)! In a 50ct/100ct humidor, you shouldn't have to rotate your cigars. If it makes you feel better put some beads on the top and most on the bottom. YES your cigars closest to the humidifier will be more wet. I tend to keep my 'not so great' or '$3' cigars around my humidifiers if I can help it or if I think about it. Also, make sure no naked cigars are touching your humidifing device, I learned that the hard way. Lost some RyJ churchills last summer due to them touching my beads.

This hobby is supposed to be fun, don't stress too much about your cigars or the RH reading. Test them by smoking one and noticing if it seems to wet/dry/just right. If you need help determining if a cigar is too wet/dry or how they'd smoke when wet/dry, contact your favorite FOG. :)

Have fun!

I see the problem here, you've dedicated a half a drawer to Gurkas! LOL JK bro.

Looks OK to me, other than you've probably reached capacity for that humi and if you
continue to buy more than you smoke, you're goint to need another one.