• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

My New Humi and what I have done help needed :)

Lchoke

Ok so heres whats going on I got a new Humi on Thursday night I Wiped down with distilled h2o and put it my Gel Jar AND the Foam puck....(I just read the guide that said to now do that. So I JUST NOW took out the Foam.) Also in there was a shotglass of Distilled. Its been sitting since. Now I tested my Digital Hydrometer that came with the humidor. I did the Towel test first. The result was 88%...Salt tested it 4 times. It read 57% and then 61% and the last to tests read 68%, So I am assuming that was the correct reading? Now I put my hydrometer back in the Humidor yesterday morning. Today I just checked it and it is reading 51%...so heres my questions. Also I re wiped down the cedar today in hopes of speeding things up.
1. Based on my Hydrometer results What should it be reading for my Humidor to be between 67% and 70% Give or take????
2. Based on the reading I am getting in the Humi how lond would you think it should take for it to be ready????
3. When I had both the foam and the gel in there why is that bad? would that have stalled the seasoning process????
4.Any other tips and such would be great. I have been smoking for a while but wanted to start purchasing a few more than 2 or 3 at a time so I have them ready. I also am trying to be very thorough so that I dont waste my cigars/money. So I am sorry if this is an annoying thread but I really could use help....

Thanks Alot everyone.
Seth

There is a lot of info on this site for prepping your humidor. Try searching for each of your questions. You need to be more specific about your humidor type and size.

Consider putting some information into your profile and then write up an introductory post in the new members forum. CigarPass is a valuable resource and a community of friends.

Best regards, Doug

Seth,
Just some friendly advice from one newb on this board to another. First thing I'd recommend is read read read. I read literally hundreds of post in this section plus the guide they have posted. Then follow the advice you receive there. I'd also introduce yourself as recommended above. Theyre big fans of that on this board and following rules/suggestions like that will go a long way.

From reading your problem the first place I'd start is your hygrometer. If you're salt tested it properly you shouldn't be getting such a wide variety of readings. Id do a search for salt testing on here and then follow the step by step directions. If it's not your method of salt testing then it sounds like your hygrometer is the problem. Again I'd do a search for hygrometers on here and find one that fits your budget and accuracy requirements.

The next thing I'd say is relax a little about the speed of seasoning your humidor. I took around two weeks to do mine. Just take your time, follow the advice on here, and don't rush things. Trying to rush things only increases the chance you'll permanently mess up your humidor. Any way good luck.

Ok so heres whats going on I got a new Humi on Thursday night I Wiped down with distilled h2o and put it my Gel Jar AND the Foam puck....(I just read the guide that said to now do that. So I JUST NOW took out the Foam.) Also in there was a shotglass of Distilled. Its been sitting since. Now I tested my Digital Hydrometer that came with the humidor. I did the Towel test first. The result was 88%...Salt tested it 4 times. It read 57% and then 61% and the last to tests read 68%, So I am assuming that was the correct reading? Now I put my hydrometer back in the Humidor yesterday morning. Today I just checked it and it is reading 51%...so heres my questions. Also I re wiped down the cedar today in hopes of speeding things up.
1. Based on my Hydrometer results What should it be reading for my Humidor to be between 67% and 70% Give or take????
2. Based on the reading I am getting in the Humi how lond would you think it should take for it to be ready????
3. When I had both the foam and the gel in there why is that bad? would that have stalled the seasoning process????
4.Any other tips and such would be great. I have been smoking for a while but wanted to start purchasing a few more than 2 or 3 at a time so I have them ready. I also am trying to be very thorough so that I dont waste my cigars/money. So I am sorry if this is an annoying thread but I really could use help....

Thanks Alot everyone.
Seth
I'm of the opinion that wiping down the wood with distilled water is a horrible idea. It takes time to season a humidor, you can't make the wood absorb the water fast without ruining it or warping it. Place a small glass in there with distilled water and let it sit for a week or 2 or 3 and it will slowly come up to the desired humidity. Don't rush it.

To answer your questions:
1. I don't understand this question.
2. It will take it as long as it takes to acclimate, a couple weeks.
3. You don't need foam and gel in there now, you need to season the wood. Put a shot glass of distilled water in there or a boveda seasoning packet (i don't like these). Stop opening it. Leave it alone and let the wood absorb the water.
4. Read around the site.

Thanks for all of the help so far very helpful. I was under the impression that I should check it daily. Now I see that I need to leave it sit for atleast another week before I even open it. Thanks again I will post an introduction within the next couple of days and retest my hydrometer if it still is showing inconsistencies I will look to replace it any suggestions that are a good value? No price range just want one that works. thanks again guys.

Do a search on hygrometers.... you'll find numerous threads on the subject. You can get a decent one for around $20.00.

I'm of the belief that if you're going to spend hard earned change on pricey cigars, shouldn't you give them the best house available? You wouldn't buy a Lambo unless you had an adequate garage would you? Spend some money on a good, reliable hygro that's not going to give you wacky readings. I salt test hygros every six-months for accuracy. I also change the batteries at that time.

As far as the humidor goes, give it time to soak up that H2O. This process will take awhile, but it's worth it in the end. PM me if you have any further questions. I'd be glad to answer any questions you might have, no matter how dumb you may think they are...

Good advice here.

It sounds as if your salt test is not correct, or your hygrometer is intermittent.
Wiping down the cedar with distilled water does speed up the conditioning process.

When placing a shot glass of water in a new humi, it can go above the recommended
70% rh, resulting in the need to leave it open for the excess water to dry. Take your time.
You can open it to check rh every day. Don't leave it open too long, though.

Get some beads. Beads are the easiest, most maintenance free method to keep your
humi at proper rh.

Chemyst :cool:

thanks everyone loving this forum.....Today I ordered Heartfelt Beads and a better Hydrometer from Heartfelt.....Gonna let it suck on the H2o and add the beads when they come :)

ok so I got my beads and now I am a little confused I have a perfectly calibrated Hydrometer now and It has read 65% in the Humi for the last 2 days. I have in there 2 shotglasses of H2o and the Gel stuff. Should I remove anything and put in the beads? I have read the guide 3 times and I still think I am a little lost lol Should I leave it as is until its over 72%? or is it at 65 ok to put the beads and start filling with smokes?

ok so I got my beads and now I am a little confused I have a perfectly calibrated Hydrometer now and It has read 65% in the Humi for the last 2 days. I have in there 2 shotglasses of H2o and the Gel stuff. Should I remove anything and put in the beads? I have read the guide 3 times and I still think I am a little lost lol Should I leave it as is until its over 72%? or is it at 65 ok to put the beads and start filling with smokes?

It is called a hygrometer , which is used to measures relative humidty. (A hydrometer measures specific gravity of a liquid.)

Remove the gel goo from the humidor.

Read the instructions with the beads - add distilled water to the beads if instructed. I prefer using a clean misting bottle for necessary applications of distilled water. Did your beads come in a tube ? (Panty hose work great to hold beads, especially if building a coolidor.) Place beads in humidor.

I would put a single shotglass of distilled water in the humidor temporarily, as long as you don't run the risk of knocking it over. Remove the shot glass in 2-3 days.

Ok So charge the beads.
Remove Gel and one shot glass.
Put in the beads and keep one shot glass. (For a couple of days)
And Im good to put some smokes in? Thats sounds simple thanks for the clear easy steps and also the correction Hygrometer good to know. Thanks a lot!!
and my beads came with a puck shaped thing that holds them and I got the syringe for charging.

It is called a hygrometer , which is used to measures relative humidty. (A hydrometer measures specific gravity of a liquid.)

Remove the gel goo from the humidor.

Read the instructions with the beads - add distilled water to the beads if instructed. I prefer using a clean misting bottle for necessary applications of distilled water. Did your beads come in a tube ? (Panty hose work great to hold beads, especially if building a coolidor.) Place beads in humidor.

I would put a single shotglass of distilled water in the humidor temporarily, as long as you don't run the risk of knocking it over. Remove the shot glass in 2-3 days.

Good call on the beads and hygro...

It sounds like you've got a good grasp on your storage issues. Now all you've got to do is smoke one!

Once again I am amazed by the level of knowledge and speed of reply on this forum thanks so very much all of you I am so happy to have found this place.

On a side note:

Lurch, I find myself watching your avatar for minutes on end forgetting everything in my head.
Thank You.

Back