• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

my noob is showing

thatsonofa

Reaction score
Can beetles show up out of the blue? Like if my humidor is inside my apartment and I have never had beetle problems can they show up?

I dont have an issue with them, but ive never seen them before and wasnt sure...

Can beetles show up out of the blue? Like if my humidor is inside my apartment and I have never had beetle problems can they show up?

I dont have an issue with them, but ive never seen them before and wasnt sure...
If the conditions are right they can show up at any time. The eggs are present in almost all cigars according to some people.

That is correct, most if not all tobacco has beetle eggs embedded. If the conditions are right, basically temp in the humidor too high (over 70 is questionable, over 72 is bad), the eggs can hatch.

Dave

Your noob is showing?? Then zip up your pants! :sign:

Speaking of temp....you know, the oddest thing is that I go to this shop where the temp inside one of the display cabinets is always between 77 and 80 degrees, yet I have never ever seen or heard of a beetle problem. I go to this place often and have become good friends with the owner, so I would be the first to know if something like this had taken place. So, this temp and beetle thing has my truly perplexed.

allot of it also factors into control all though there isn't a whole lot that can be done, some factories are infested. For instance all of the stuff from ernesto and la gloria/el rico typically has a really bad problem. I work in a shop and cant say I have seen a box where there wasnt at least on hole. Now I will say Iv'e never seen one crawling out of an rico/gloria product, but they are there.

thatsonofa, this is a good essay on the subject of beetles from cA.

allot of it also factors into control all though there isn't a whole lot that can be done, some factories are infested. For instance all of the stuff from ernesto and la gloria/el rico typically has a really bad problem. I work in a shop and cant say I have seen a box where there want at least on hole. Now I will say Iv'e never seen one crawling out of an rico/gloria product, but they are there.
From the same article, "Freezing twice will ensure the beetles and their eggs have been killed," says Ridge-O'Connor. "It's the only foolproof way to get rid of them if you find them in your home."

Fuego, are you saying all El Credito products have a beetle problem, but you have never seen proof of a hole or beetle? I am a bit confused by the post.

p.s. a little newb to newb advice would be to use spell check. ;)

Your noob is showing?? Then zip up your pants! :sign:
He said noob, not nub... :sign:

Some manufacturers freeze their cigars before shipping. I have read that a regular household freezer will not get cold enough to completely eradicate the problem. There is also a time factor in that the eggs need to be kept below a certain temperature for a period of time, usually said to be several hours (one source said 48 hours). I wish I could remember where this was, but I can't. :(

It is best to keep your cigars in conditions less than 70* if you possibly can. A lot of people never see beetles, but the chance is always there. Personally, I would rather play it safe and keep my cigars a little cooler than risk losing a good portion of them to beetles.