• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

My Starter Tobacco Collection

SkyKing

Greetings all:

After much time on the boards, here and online trade magazines and tobacco review sites, over the last month I've ordered 7 pipes to alleviate my PAD symptoms and have structured my TAD as follows, so as to dedicate a pipe to various blend styles.
Now lets see if my starting tobaccos fit with my starting pipe collection

Aromatics
Sutliff Molto Dolce 
7 Seas Black
Lane Limited - 1-Q (Have to try it for nothing other than it is a touchstone among the BOTL - whether you hate it or love it 

Latakia/Balkans aka English
GL Pease Sextant 
GL Pease Westminster (Balkan)
G. L. Pease - Lagonda (Balkan)
GL Pease Picadilly (English)
Sutliff Balkan Luxury (English)
GL Pease Gaslight (English)
Dunhill - My Mixture 965 (English)

Orientals/Turkish
GL Pease Embarcadero
Robert Lewis - Orcilla Mixture

VaPerique blends
Escudo (VaPer)

Virginians/burleys
GL Pease Jack Knife Ready Rubbed (VA/burley)
Samuel Gawith - Navy Flake (VaLat)
Samuel Gawith - Full Virginia Flakes (Straight VA)
GL Pease Union Square (Straight VA)
C&D (Straight Virginian)

I'm wondering if VaLats can live VaPers in the same pipe? Or am I making this too complicated?

I lit up the Jack Knife read rub a couple of times over the weekend. Have to say it was a welcome change from the English styles I've been smoking. In fact, now that I was knowingly and consciously smoking a straight Virginian, I could identify the Virginia taste on which English tobaccos are based.

Also tried the GL Pease Embarcadero for the first time.  Again, smoking an Oriental forward helped me identify the oriental taste present in many English blends that I've tried.

I've a burley based tobacco waiting. Hope that prove equally interesting.

How's it coming so far? You had some great tobacco on that list. What are you still looking to try?

Thanks for asking. My tastes are all over the chart. I would say my favorites are;

SG Navy Flake, a VaLat
Escudo, a VaPer
GLP Jacknife plug, a VaBurley
GLP Sextant, an English

I've also added several cigar blends to my little collection
GLP Key Largo, C&D Havanna Dreams, C&D Billy Budd, and Hearth and Home Stogie. I really liked the Stogie blend, followed closely by Key Largo. I haven't cracked Billy Budd yet.

Another standout was Peter Stokkebye's bulk Luxury Navy Flake, a VaPer. It was really nicely - maybe perfectly - balanced and I would rate it as high as most any VaPer I tried. A little more laid back, it will go in my rotation as a regular and as a change of pace from some of the more full bodied flavors I favor.

I tried three of the most highly rated aromatics, and none of them rang my bell. They are polite tobaccos. In my cigar circle, polite is the term we use for scotches or cigars that are without character or challenge. We refer to them as polite whiskeys or polite cigars. Some master Cigar blenders would punch you for calling their cigars polite.

But they were pleasant enough and I will keep a tin or two for social gatherings so that non-smokers might enjoy the polite room notes. Oddly, of all that I smoked in my house, my wife complained only about 7 Seas. Maybe she is getting acclimated to the aroma of better tobaccos. She once was a Miller fan but now often asks me to share my IP beers with her.

I have a routine now. I pick one tin and smoke at least a bowl from it every day, sometimes more if I feel like it. For variety, I smoke anything else that day that suits my fancy.This lets me get intimately familiar with a blend while getting a little variety. I know some recommend smoking a tin of a blend exclusively while getting acquainted but I like the variety.

As to what I want to try next, I will depend on my BOTL to make recommendations.

Pax

You'll get no gruff from me for smoking aros. I always have 1Q on hand. I have a bag just sitting on my work bench in my garage.

SG Navy and PS LNF are two of my favorites and both regulars in my rotation. SG Navy is interesting. If you smoke it right away the Latakia is very forward in the blend, but after a few months the latakia settles into the background and the sweet Virginia is the primary flavor. That's when I love it.

My suggestions, If you like PS LNF, try Orlick Golden Sliced. It supposed to have Perique in it, but I never taste it. To me its just straight sweet, light, VA. On the heavier end of the spectrum, I'd suggest McClelland Blackwoods Flake. Deep, rich straight VA.

If you like Sextant, definitely give C&D Black Frigate a try.

How'd you like GLP Westminster? I don't know if I would call it my favorite Lat blend, but its definately the Lat blend I smoke more than any other, by a significant margin. 

Pipe Smoker said:
You'll get no gruff from me for smoking aros. I always have 1Q on hand. I have a bag just sitting on my work bench in my garage.

SG Navy and PS LNF are two of my favorites and both regulars in my rotation. SG Navy is interesting. If you smoke it right away the Latakia is very forward in the blend, but after a few months the latakia settles into the background and the sweet Virginia is the primary flavor. That's when I love it.

| I'll have to order a couple of tins of SG Navy for the cellar. I really, really like this blend right out of the tin. 

My suggestions, If you like PS LNF, try Orlick Golden Sliced. It supposed to have Perique in it, but I never taste it. To me its just straight sweet, light, VA. On the heavier end of the spectrum, I'd suggest McClelland Blackwoods Flake. Deep, rich straight VA.

Just put it in my shopping cart.

If you like Sextant, definitely give C&D Black Frigate a try.

In my shopping cart.

How'd you like GLP Westminster? I don't know if I would call it my favorite Lat blend, but its definately the Lat blend I smoke more than any other, by a significant margin. 

Honestly, can't remember the Westminster blend.  May not have cracked the tin just yet. I'm roaming through my stock at the moment and haven't opened everything yet. I like the Lats some days better than others, or in some pipes better than others. 

I deliberately decided to focus on more Va forward blends and burleys for now, based on the theory that all blends are based on these two tobaccos. I did find that once I familiarized myself with some straight Virginians and burleys, I could better appreciate the English,Balkans, VaPers and other blends. 

Thanks for the recommendations. I'll pull the trigger on my cart the first of August. I;'ve expended my  TAD and PAD budget for July.

If you're looking at VA/Bur/Per, definately five C&D Exhausted Rooster a go. That one put the VA/Bur/Per catagory on the map.

Pipe Smoker said:
...My suggestions, If you like PS LNF, try Orlick Golden Sliced. It supposed to have Perique in it, but I never taste it. To me its just straight sweet, light, VA. On the heavier end of the spectrum, I'd suggest McClelland Blackwoods Flake. Deep, rich straight VA.

...How'd you like GLP Westminster? I don't know if I would call it my favorite Lat blend, but its definately the Lat blend I smoke more than any other, by a significant margin. 
Second on the Orlik. Economical too! often smoke it when I can't make my mind up, and it never fails to satisfy.

I could possibly say Westminster is my favorite Lat Blend. So wonderfully balanced, and the bowl evolves nicely too. 

I'm a sucker for recomendations. I'll have to put C&D Exhausted Rooster on the wish list.

I cracked open the Westminster and am now smoking it in my meer billard. I started out with Englishes decades ago, shortly after leaving drug store aros.  I'm getting a bit of a floral note during the first 3rd of the bowl of Westminster.

Have you tried any of McClelland's Frog Morton blends? I've had a couple bowls of Frog on the Town and find it to be a pleasant mellow smoke. Stokkebye's Luxury Twist Flake is another new favorite, had it for the first time today and it's a quite enjoyable lazy afternoon smoke. I read it has a hint of caramel topping, but it's nothing like an aro.

Tried my first Stokkebye's Luxury Twist Flake last week. It has fast become one of my favorites' - I like maybe as good as any other flake.

I've yet to try any Frog Morton but it is own my wish list.