• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

My Winodor

Barnaby_J0nes

Hi all,

This is my first 'real post' so if I am violating any rules/ not using the search enough/ generally pissing you off, feel free to reprimand me and I'll learn

Anyway, today I decided to 'season' my winodor. My father had an 9 bottle vinotemp which stopped working (temp gauge not working), and he allowed me to rescue it from the rubbish pile.

I know here on CP everyone swears by Heartfelt beads... unfortunately as a recent college graduate who just started a job, heartfelt were a bit out of my price range. Instead I did some research and found that silica crystal kitty litter supposedly works just as well. With that in mind I went to my local PETCO and grabbed myself a bag of their PETCO brand silica crystal cat litter.

I scooped the litter into a tupperware, punched a great deal of holes in the lid, sprayed them down with some distilled water and threw it in the winodor with some empty boxes I had (Gran Habano six cigar sampler box and an empty box of Graycliff G2), I'm planning on buying a few boxes to put in there as well, as soon as I start getting paid.

About three hours after i finished the setup, my hygrometer was reading 70% (perfect for me, I prefer 70-72%)

Here's a few pictures, and I hope this post has been informational for anyone who is looking for a slightly less expensive alternative to Heartfelt (I'm sure this has been discussed previously, I'm just offering my own testimonial for what its worth.)

8DeK5.jpg

zvSCE.jpg

YEUzq.jpg

Nice setup!

I was just thinking about picking up some of that litter, $9.99 for 10 lbs isn't bad at all!

I will never understand why guys have hundreds if not thousands of dollars worth of cigars and then cheap out on the humidification.
Not to rain on your parade barnaby but step up with some viper beads at least

Nice setup!

I was just thinking about picking up some of that litter, $9.99 for 10 lbs isn't bad at all!

I paid about $22 for 8 lbs, but that could be because I bought it in store, at PETCO, and also because i flat got ripped off.

I will never understand why guys have hundreds if not thousands of dollars worth of cigars and then cheap out on the humidification.
Not to rain on your parade barnaby but step up with some viper beads at least

Donnz,
I certainly mean no disrespect as I am still new to cigars, but If the litter crystals are working fine maintaining the humidity where I want it, and the sticks smoke great isn't that the point?
I feel like so long as the litter does what I need it to its a "to each his own issue" but feel free to point out where I am wrong as I am eager to learn

Lad,

If you like the "kitty litter" silica, use it. The stuff works well. I've used it for 5 years with zero problems!

"If it's not broke, why fix it..."

I have used KLH for years......works just as good. I tend to avoid the stuff with the blue beads though. As long as it is odor neutral i guess you will be OK.

I have used KLH for years......works just as good. I tend to avoid the stuff with the blue beads though. As long as it is odor neutral i guess you will be OK.

I definitely made sure that the blue ones were odor neutral. Apparently the odor neutral blue ones, in an open environment, constantly absorb and release moisture to attempt to reach a 68% equilibrium (absorbing odor in an open environment)

But as long as it keeps my winodor at a good 70% rh, and doesn't add foreign odors or flavors to my sticks, I'm not overly concerned with the science.

EDIT: some minor grammar issues

Enjoy your new setup. As far as what to use...use what works for you and fits as comfortable as possible in your budget. There is nothing wrong with that. Money saved on the set up is more money available for cigars, or whatever else you need to budget for.

Don't mean to hijack your thread but can you or someone else explain how to use the Crystal litter? How often do you replace them? I am a newb and this sounds like a great bang for the buck!

Don't mean to hijack your thread but can you or someone else explain how to use the Crystal litter? How often do you replace them? I am a newb and this sounds like a great bang for the buck!

Here is a good discussion on the topic. Just skip over all posts by the tool that started the thread, defetis, and focus on the posts by the Fantasy Football cheater Allofus123.