• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Need Advice

benjiev

"The Honorable"
Okay you Latte Heads I need some opinions on Espresso Machines. I am interested in a Semi to Automatic machine... Does anyone have one?

Let me know my Starbucks Estro Profi has made its last cup of espresso :(

Those little kettles are cool, I thought about one...can't remember the name of it though...

Its all in how much you want to spend. There's a few good home espresso machines....good yes, great no. In my experience you have to step up to the comercial machines to get great espresso consistently. Unfortunaely a good comercial grade machines will start in the $1000+ range which is more than most people care to spend for a home unit.

You might try looking at a Rancilio Siliva (my pick) or a Gaggia Espresso. What I look for in a good home espresso machine is a solid boiler/pump. If the machine can't pump the presure its nothing more than a coffee maker. The Rancilio is a solid stainless steel machine that looks good just sitting on the counter. It runs somewhere around the 4-500 dollar mark. The Gaggia is a bit lower in price (2-300 dollars) and is made partly of plastic but has gotten some good reviews.

Also, if you're going to invest in a good home espresso machine like the Rancilio make sure you have a good burr grinder. The grind is so important in pulling a great shot of espresso.

Too bad Scroto is banned, he actually has some limited knowledge on this subject :laugh:

Well on second thought, he THINKS he has knowledge about coffee but it's probably no more than his extremely limited knowledge about cigars so never mind......... :sign:

I've got a Starbucks Barista and it has worked great for about about 4 years now. I would definetely recommend it.

And the grind of the beans does make all the difference. I don't have a grinder at home, but I get our beans at the same place (Dunn Brothers) and have them ground at the same exact setting everytime, which is around a 4.5 on their machine. Some folks I think like to have their own grinder, that way perhaps the coffee is even more fresh before you make it, but we go through a pound of beans rather quickly so I don't think it matters much for us.

As a gift, I received the Nespresso machine. http://www.nespresso.com/precom/home_us_en.html?

It came with a cool gift box of all the different styles. Admittedly, it is not the higest end machine out there, but I have been consistently impressed with the quality of the espresso coming out of it. I ordered a few different styles of cartiges, and always have exactly what I am in the mood for.

benjiev said:
Okay you Latte Heads I need some opinions on Espresso Machines. I am interested in a Semi to Automatic machine... Does anyone have one?

Let me know my Starbucks Estro Profi has made its last cup of espresso :(
[snapback]230228[/snapback]​

I would highly recommend the Capresso F9 -- it makes some incredible coffee/espresso. Water goes in one side, whole coffee beans go in the other side. It grinds just enough coffee/espresso beans for each cup.

We've had on in our office for almost 2 years -- it kicks mucho ass. Best thing is the maintenance is minimal.