• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Need help FAST!

Lemon

I have my 150 count humi with perhaps 70-80 sticks in it, and I've noticed several of them have an ammonium smell to them when smoking. What could cause this? I have one pound of beads in it, which I have sprayed with a bottle filled with distilled water. Could I have gotten the wrong kind of water (de-ionized water?)? I need help FAST. Give me all kinds of hints, how should I store them while perhaps cleaning the humi. I have a huge zip-lock bag. Thanks a lot, I'm getting really worried here. I can not afford to lose that many sticks (I have almost 20 RASS's in it!).

Yours worriedly

Lemon

They're no good. Send them ALL to me for proper disposal :laugh:

Personally I wouldn't worry about it. ;) Ammonia is given off as the cigars "age." This is 100% normal for cigars so don't sweat it.

The chicken #%^&@ odor that I sense when I open my coolerdor that contains Havanas is a PLEASANT smell :thumbs:

Just let them sit for a while. What's the date on those smokes? They might just need to rest and age for a while.

ree

I could email the shop to get the date of them. I have the RASS and Guantanamera boxes, it should say the date, right?

Anyway, you have no idea how relieved I am. I'm at a party at a friend's place, and I was so worried I was sweating. I hope letting them sit a while will help, or I've lost a lot of money (which I do NOT have in abundance).

Yep, nothing to worry about. You should notice the ammonia smell dissipating gradually over time. I've been there though. It can really knock you for a loop.

lucasbuck said:
Yep, nothing to worry about. You should notice the ammonia smell dissipating gradually over time. I've been there though. It can really knock you for a loop.
[snapback]194666[/snapback]​

Smoking a stronger cigar, an AF Exquisitos maduro, I didn't notice the ammonia, but I guess I'll have to let the rest sit for a while. Should I perhaps let the humi air for a while every day?

Airing out for an hour or two a day (if it's not too dry) will certainly help speed the process. I've done the very same before when one of my coolers got super strong with ammonia. In a couple of weeks I could barely smell any ammonia at all.

I'll air them a bit every day then! :thumbs:

I checked my RASS box, says FEB 05 :( Damn, I'll have to order another box and age them.

The Rass may be the culprit. If I remember correctly, a lot of peoplr mentions that RA taste ammoniac young. Just open the humi every couple days. This is why I recommend a cooler for long term storage, and the humi for smoking.

It's mostly an ISOM problem as pretty much everyone else ages their smokes much longer before shipping to retailers. The conventional wisdom is that with ISOMs demand has them shipping them off as fast as they can make them, without aging as much as cigars from other countries. I've really never had an ammonia problem with anything besides ISOMs and a few Onyx.