• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Need help with humidity issue

Snowdust

SnowNYet
I consider myself pretty knowledgeable about RH but am perplexed.

Fifty count Savoy is in the basement with 69 boved. Humidor runs 65-66 steady. My diamond crown digital and newly added Govee with app and charts. Never been above 66.x Room is about 66-68 and 45-50 RH

Cigars are all smoking very wet. Do you think humidity is seeping INTO my box from the room and the cigars are absorbing it, while the air in the box stays in check.

I switch pad to 65 boveda yesterday to see that changes. Avg is done 1%

I consider myself pretty knowledgeable about RH but am perplexed.

Fifty count Savoy is in the basement with 69 boved. Humidor runs 65-66 steady. My diamond crown digital and newly added Govee with app and charts. Never been above 66.x Room is about 66-68 and 45-50 RH

Cigars are all smoking very wet. Do you think humidity is seeping INTO my box from the room and the cigars are absorbing it, while the air in the box stays in check.

I switch pad to 65 boveda yesterday to see that changes. Avg is done 1%

You would know just walking down into your basement if the humidity was that high. The same way you feel it when entering the humi at a B&M. Is your humi full? I'd see if that new lower 65% Boveda puts on some weight over the next week or 2.

Sounds like they all got too wet and are self-humidifying at a high RH. I'd just watch that new boveda... maybe throw another 65 in there too to help them along.

New cigars are often amazingly over humidified by some retailers. They think they are doing the uninitiated a favor, as they'll "keep longer" that way. Of course, over time, if you get much below ~62% you run the risk of crystallizing the oils out of the leaf and damaging the taste of the smoke. Much over ~70% and the risk of mold goes up exponentially. Short excursions don't really count; cigars are amazingly hygroscopic and it takes weeks, maybe months to equilibrate them to their environment.

Round up a bunch of very seasoned (and opinionated) cigar smokers. Ask them their preferred storage RH. You'll get answers from 58-75%. Believe it. Point being, a few points one way or another isn't something to freak out about (like I did when I started this game). I'd go so far as to say it just doesn't make much difference. Really. If you sticks are smoking well, you've got nothing to worry about. Make changes in the environment, sure, but don't expect to see a difference for a couple days. Relax. Enjoy. Worry less, smoke more.....:cool:

New cigars are often amazingly over humidified by some retailers. They think they are doing the uninitiated a favor, as they'll "keep longer" that way. Of course, over time, if you get much below ~62% you run the risk of crystallizing the oils out of the leaf and damaging the taste of the smoke. Much over ~70% and the risk of mold goes up exponentially. Short excursions don't really count; cigars are amazingly hygroscopic and it takes weeks, maybe months to equilibrate them to their environment.

Round up a bunch of very seasoned (and opinionated) cigar smokers. Ask them their preferred storage RH. You'll get answers from 58-75%. Believe it. Point being, a few points one way or another isn't something to freak out about (like I did when I started this game). I'd go so far as to say it just doesn't make much difference. Really. If you sticks are smoking well, you've got nothing to worry about. Make changes in the environment, sure, but don't expect to see a difference for a couple days. Relax. Enjoy. Worry less, smoke more.....:cool:
Yep get all that. My issue is that are not smoking well and they have been kept 65-66%. I am just surprised they smoke so wet at that. I will update after some time with the 65 packs

Try dry boxing one of your smokes for three or four days. I use my desk drawer. As I said, it takes a surprisingly long time for smokes to attain proper humidity.

To the best of my knowledge, there is no way for a 50% RH room to push the RH is a cabinet higher than ambient.