• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Need info about Tatuaje going bye-bye...

fetterjohn

Non-active but active and lurking!
I was told today from a B&M with a Tatuaje account that all of Pete Johnson's rollers left him to go to Nicaragua. Is this true? Is this the end of Tatuaje cigars? I just started seeing things about the red label and now I here that Tatuaje is to be no more!!! WHAT IS THE TRUTH???

-Fetter

I heard here that he is starting a new line in Nicaragua and maybe that's what the person at your B&M was referring to. Don't believe evrything you here.

I was told today from a B&M with a Tatuaje account that all of Pete Johnson's rollers left him to go to Nicaragua. Is this true? Is this the end of Tatuaje cigars? I just started seeing things about the red label and now I here that Tatuaje is to be no more!!! WHAT IS THE TRUTH???

-Fetter

I don't think that's true; I think it's a case of "telephone" -- Pete is rolling some new cigar lines in Nicaragua (Series P and Havana VI), but that is in addition to his existing line.

If you think about it, it makes no sense -- if anything, people would be dying to do the opposite, leaving Nicaragua, and come live in Miami.

-Fetter
You got to stop smoking whatever you have been smoking. Tatuaje is going nowhere. They opened up the Nicaraguan factory. They are still making Miami Tatuajes. They are not going to open any new accounts on the Miami blends. Any new account will have only Nicaraguans! Now go smoke a CIGAR and calm down!

Aren't they DP's rollers? Why would these guys leave Miami? Doesn't sound right.

What Jabba said.

I'm not surprised at the OP though. In my experience, the average cigar bb lurker/poster has a far more accurate picture of what's going on in the industry than the average retailer.

This is the way I understand the situation. Pete Johnson commisions the creation of cigars. He has no rollers to lose. Don Pepin Garcia and his rollers and factorias in both Miami and Nic. blend and create the cigars. An historical analogy would be, Lorenzo di Medici providing the money for Rafael to paint. The artist is Don Pepin the benafactor is Mr. Johnson.

Doc.

This is the way I understand the situation. Pete Johnson commisions the creation of cigars. He has no rollers to lose. Don Pepin Garcia and his rollers and factorias in both Miami and Nic. blend and create the cigars. An historical analogy would be, Lorenzo di Medici providing the money for Rafael to paint. The artist is Don Pepin the benafactor is Mr. Johnson.

Doc.

That's mostly accurate. In the case of the Tatuaje cigars, Pete tells Pepin what he's looking for in terms of taste, Pepin then goes out and picks out appropriate tobacco from various farms, and has prototypes rolled. Pete then tastes the cigars, and indicates what he likes/doesn't like, what tastes to add to a blend, etc., and the process is repeated.

In any event, this thread gave Pete a nice chuckle. Suffice it to say there's no truth to it at all. Might want to set your vendor straight, Fetterjohn.

Doc.

That's mostly accurate. In the case of the Tatuaje cigars, Pete tells Pepin what he's looking for in terms of taste, Pepin then goes out and picks out appropriate tobacco from various farms, and has prototypes rolled. Pete then tastes the cigars, and indicates what he likes/doesn't like, what tastes to add to a blend, etc., and the process is repeated.

In any event, this thread gave Pete a nice chuckle. Suffice it to say there's no truth to it at all. Might want to set your vendor straight, Fetterjohn.

I wish he was my vendor...just a guy I walked into (couple times actually) that I know had Tatuaje Lanceros. If he was my vendor I would set him straight...he thinks he knows Pete personally. Actually I will be in the area next week and I will go in there...with all guns blazin'. Man...what I thought...set fire to a tobacco store owner!!

-Fetter

I imagine this thread would be great for Pete... what would be the first thing you would do if you found out Padron wasn't making anymore Anniversary cigars! LOL