• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Need New Laser Printer and Fax

lucasbuck

Sheriff Buck
After ten plus years of steady service my Okidata laser printer and Oki laser fax machines have died on me. My questions are should I get a combo unit or stick with separate machines? What brands and models are recommended? Unit(s) with cheap toner refills would be a plus. TIA

I have an HP 6200 all-in-one. Works great and cost about $200. Ink is not the cheapest, though.

Their laser units work just as well.

I would stay away from dual machines if you are using them in a small business enviorment. If it is for home use then the combined machines are fine.

Working in IT for a large medical group.
I always recommend yuo go with seperate machines.

If you all in one goes broke. Than you are out a copier.scanner and fax until it gets replaced.

Where if one unit goes bad at least you still have the others and you are no totally down.

Also multi units are great for home use but i would stay away from them in a high volume work settings.

What sucks is that new models come out almost monthly. And for some reason the genious's decide to use different cartridges for each machine. WHY NOT keep the same type toner cartridge and just invest in producing a better machine. I hate being stuck with a stock pile of toner I can no longer use.

I have a Brother 7820N all-in-one and love it. It had every feature I wanted:
  • Black/White Laser
  • Flatbed scanner
  • Multiple page feeder
  • Fax
  • Copy
  • Wireless networking
The toner replacements are pretty cheap b/c unlike the H-Ps where you need to replace both the drum and cartridge every time, you just replace the cartridge for about $40/ea at amazon.com. I got my machine at Costco but you can get it for around $300 retail. Plus, it looks cool... :thumbs:

Hope this helps in your search...

go seperates..i have a canon laser fax (forgot the model) and use a color laser for printing by konica/minolta, fully networked as well (2300dl) the toner carts are not very expensive, i get approx 1800 color and 3500 color sheets (and i do a lot of color work for promo mailers) not the fastest printer, but works very well. the laser fax is trouble free, and the toners are cheap, i get close to 2500 sheets out of that unit.

My questions are should I get a combo unit or stick with separate machines?

What brands and models are recommended?

Unit(s) with cheap toner refills would be a plus. TIA

Like it has already been stated, combo is fine for home light duty. Separate for heavy duty or office use.

As for brands and models, you need to match the duty cycle(maximum reccomended printing volume) to your monthly printing volume. Seems like the newer printers just can't preform like the older ones. :whistling: We were getting in HP LaserJet 4000 series and they are a pretty good printer. But they can't beat the 4+ and 5 series. I have a couple of those in service that have over 750,000 pages printed. :0 We have switched to the Lexmark T642 and they seem to be a stable printer so far.

Toner refills and or remanufactured toners(from a reliable source) are something to look into. Some of the Lexmark personal printers have toners that you need to change out a chip board if you refill it. Might be a good idea to search that on any model before you purchase.

I have an old HP LaserJet 6P that is going strong. Toners run $60 at the local stores. Just replaced the toner last month with an unopened OEM toner from a vendor on Ebay for $27 shipped. (Ebay does have it's place) ;)

I use to use a Brother multi, then tossed the piece of junk a year and one month after i bought it.

I ended up buying a HP LaserJet 3030. So far i have had no problems in one year (minor paper feeding misfeed which i will get checked), and gone thru 3 toners (about 7000+ pages). Canon puts out a good model too, i hear good things about it.

oh ya, i got it at Staples, and opted for the 3 year extended warranty this time :thumbs: