• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Need New Printer

gr8full2day

FNG in Training
Hello brothers,

I need some help from youse guys wit all them smarts. I need a new printer for our network at home. The lil' woman wants an all in one (printer, scan. copy, and fax). We have a cable internet connection, so maybe the fax part isn't feasible or is it? I have a desktop and a laptop sharing the cable connection in a wireless router, that I can add a printer. I would appreciate any possible help/feedback/thread jacking or whatever comes up. Thanks!!!

The newbie,
Gr8full2day

Just replace my home printer. I bought a HP photosmart, couldn't get it to talk to my computer. After several Loooong waits on hold for tech, and 3 usless email to tech I took it back. Now am the proud owner of a Cannon i560. Great printer, terrific pictures, and $180.00 cheaper than the HP, installed in less than 5 min. :thumbs: If you look on cnet, zdnet, and a couple other rating lists the i560 is in the top 5 everywhere.

It's still possible to run your fax while on the cable broadband..matter-o-fact, it's even easier since your phone line is not in use for your internet connection.

For your shopping though...shop till you drop. There are several nice models from HP/Lexmark/Cannon/Xerox that you'll find on sale. Just look to see who's got the best deal running currently @ bestbuy/curcuit city/fry's/wherever.

Considerations are:
-paper loading from the rear-standing up OR loaded from the bottom and pulls it up...the top-loader takes up more desk space.

-dpi on scanning capabilities

-how much do the ink cartridges cost?!? When it's time to refill..say all the cartidges put together, does it equal the original cost of the device? Here's where many make their killing. :angry: Personally, I'm about ready to move to a laser just because of this fact...and buy reconditioned/refilled cartridges.

-what software comes with it..specifically for the scanning...test the OCI (optical character recognition...scanning text) on a machine in the store if possible. OmniPage Lite is a great one to have packaged in it.

-do you want to wait 2-3 months for your 'mail-in rebate'

I just bought an HP 1350 copier/printer/scanner. It does great pictures and was only $149.99. Also able to print right from a memory card.

Thanks alot for the input gentlemen!! I truly appreciate it, the ole lady has become insistant on a Dell, because we have Dell 'puters..I personally like a couple other models, but

"Happy Wife=Happy Life!!!"

Epson for Photo Printer....HP for Laser Printer. I have tried to stay away from the all in ones, the scanners usually stink, and when you copy it sucks up your ink big time!