• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Need some advice

TugBoat

I've been reading the Pipe forum off and on for awhile now, and I think you guys can really help me out.

I'm thinking about taking up piping, I love my cigars I just don't always have the time needed to enjoy a good one without throwing it out. From what I've read about pipes not only are relights not a problem if you don't finish a bowl but you can also just pack a smaller bowl when you know your time is limited.

My plan is to pick up a couple corn cob pipes and a handful of different bulk blends to see how I like piping and see what tobaccos I enjoy.

What I need is any advice on what tobaccos to try. I'm planning on placing an order from pipesandcigars.com and already have a few that I have read about picked out, I'm just looking for suggestions or any tobaccos that are "must try" for a beginner.

Thanks for any help.

~Darrell

Get a variety. I ordered my tobacco based on ratings and I ended up with a lot of similar stuff. Get an English blend, an aromatic and a burly. that should give you some idea what to buy next.

So far I have enjoyed the bulk blends from Boswell better than the tinned stuff I have. Boswell's Burly, Magnum blend and Northwoods have all been very tasty for me.

Also, I haven't really enjoyed smoking my corn cob pipes compared to my briars. Some like them, but for me it is much more enjoyable to smoke the briar, smokes cooler and tastes better. If you have the money and are serious about trying pipes you might want to think about getting one.

I am very new to pipes so take my advise with a grain of salt. I'm sure others with much more experience will add some advise.

-mark

You've been given great advice. The only thing I differ on is the cob. I thoroughly enjoy smoking my cobs (especially with burley blends), but everyone is different.

If ordering from pipesandcigars.com I"d suggest getting a Hearth & Home sampler. Go through the descriptions and order blends that are different. About the only thing that it not in the H7H series is a good aromatic. There are a couple to choose from, but I don't like eggnog and my Grandma's kitchen didn't create too many aromas I'd like to remember. :laugh:

You should be able to get a Virginia, a Burley, an English, a VAPer, an Oriental, and even a Scottish blend with that sampler. Throw in an aromatic like Butternut Burley or Trout Stream and you should have enough tobacco to last you quite a while. That's the only bad part about ordering online, you have to order enough to justify the shipping. You could end up with some tobacco that's not to your liking.

Of course, if you throw in a pipe to get to the "magic number" your shipping is free... :whistling:

Good luck to you!

I'm not joking when I say if you want something you and everyone around you will love that is very aromatic and sweet, but not overbearing.

Stanwell Melange, it's on sale at pipes and cigars i think.

Don't pass it up!

You can always check out the review sites, but remember that they are all biased towards the personal preference of whomever is smoking it. Just like with cigars, everyone has there biases. The best way to learn and know, is to smoke it yourself.

stick with your plan and buy those cobs as your first pipes, they will smoke better than a cheap
briar and if you taint your pipe with a tobacco you don't like you aren't out much coin if you
want to toss it. cobs also dry out faster than a briar so you can rotate them faster. they are also
easier to break-in than a briar.

also, burley is best enjoyed in a cob.

a great starter tobacco than can easily been found in a small pouch is carter hall.

edit: if you go the cob route and buy one with a filter, throw out the filter before you even start.

My advise would my to find a person at your local B& M to show you what to look for in a pipe. And what to avoid . This is what happen to me exactly.

Try looking at all the board pipes. I ended up buying a britania for $60 and it smokes great

Hope this helps

I should clarify my statement about the cob pipes. I have two and am glad I have them for the reasons burro stated. They are great for trying out new tobaccos and they can be smoked more often which is nice. I'm just saying, for me, I started enjoying pipe smoking much more after I smoked my first briar and didn't feel I was experiencing pipe smoking to the fullest until then. But it's just my opinion and you could likely experience something much different.

-mark

Thanks for all the advice. :thumbs:

I plan on ordering within a couple days and I'll keep ya'll updated on everything goes.

Tobacco reviews in my opinion can be an excellent resource . How I use it is as follows; I find a few guys whose tastes are similar to mine. Say a guy loves Haddo's Delight, Escudo, Penzance and Astley's 109. I then look for all of the other blends this guy might like. I try and look for guys who have been there a long time and have reviewed at least 50 other blends. Once I see their tastes are similar to mine, then I will try tobaccos based on their opinions.