• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Need some advise

symyn

So my girlfriend being the dear that she is decided to buy me a humidor for my birthday (July 24), she searched around some local stores but I told her she was going to find some sweet humidors online for half the price. She decided on this e-store,which now that I look at it seems to be reasonable. She said she called multiple times and the guy who works there was very nice and helpful.

We get the humidor yesterday July 26th (apparently she ordered it last week sometime with ground shipping) and it looks great. This humidor is awesome, I couldn't believe my girlfriend found it, I mean great wood, great finish, and the spanish ceder even made my skin tingle a bit. The old school analog hygrometer is perfect (bought a digi just in case) makes the box look just like an antique. The only problem is there are these gaps inbetween each of the drawers, and not just little gaps we are talking about 1/8th inch. So I read the description, linked above, about The Valencia and I guess that is the way it's supposed to come? WTF?!? From my limited experience which is based upon reading any cigar magazine or website I can get my hands on, I know that you want a "whooshing" sound with you shut the doors. With this humidor you get a sliding sound with nothing at the end.

I figure, I have two options: 1) to call up the owner of Cheaphumidors.com and ask for an exchange for another humidor. This guy seems like a standup guy and you can tell quality and service are two things he holds pretty high in regards to his store. 2) would be to find some 1/8th of an inch one sided felt with a cohesive on the other side to put on the railings. I have read that this can make the humidor snug and keep it stable. Only problem with this would be I would have to put it on all 6 railings as every single drawer is not sealed and I don't know if the owner would take it back if this didn't work because I made my own modifications.

I know there are people on here that know a boat load more than I do, and I am definately open for other options or ideas.

Thanks,
Josh

"Each drawer has about an 1/8" gap to allow air circulation and to prevent one drawer from opening when another is closed."

There is your answer. Just roll with it.

But if you're not happy with the humidor and you're afraid it won't be to your liking, by all means send it back and exchange it for something you'll be happy to have. There is no need to be constantly worrying about the humidor.

Actually yeah, the humidor does have 1/8" gaps on the drawers. It is so when one is closed the air doesn't force another open. There really is no better or worse in that line, and the humidifier should compensate for anything, and it does allow some air flow. But listen, check it out for a week, or as long as it takes, and let me know. You want a different one, no problems at all.

PS - thanks for the compliments!

Haha, when I was typing up my post I was half thinking that the owner of cheaphumidors.com might eventually read it :) You my friend are a class act :) I figured I would definitely give it 20 days or so to stabilize, I started the calibration of the hygrometers last night around 11pm, so I will wait till those stabilize before I get the humidor ready to go.

"Each drawer has about an 1/8" gap to allow air circulation and to prevent one drawer from opening when another is closed."

When I first read this I thought there was some sort of locking mechanism like a filing cabinet that prevented another drawer from opening, which isn't the case, but now I see why the gaps are there.

In the past have you recieved anything negative about The Valencia once it had been properly marinated? Do you think I need to add felt to the railings to make it a little bit snugger?

I am planning on buying some very good cigars (even bought some thanks coventrycat86) currently I have these cigars sitting in my server room, which takes care of the temperature, but the usual humidity around Huntington Beach is between 60-80%. Is there a better place I should put these cigars while my humidor is getting humid :) ?

You went to the right place my friend. I bought my Humi from there as well. I have also made a few other purchases from his site and have had OUTSTANDING service. :thumbs:

BTW . . . love that humidor you got and a good price too. Let us know how it holds the RH.

- Jason

Note from Ms. Crabtree You need advice not advise. When you give advice then you advise that person. :D

In the past have you recieved anything negative about The Valencia once it had been properly marinated? Do you think I need to add felt to the railings to make it a little bit snugger?

Nothing negative about it really. Some people, like yourself is concerned with the gap, but like I said, it doesn't really effect anything. I wouldn't sell it if it did. But certainly just check it out for a few weeks. For something temporary put them in a ziplock or tupperware with a clean, moist/damp, new sponge. Open at least daily to purge the excess air. That will hold you for a while.

dsabot,

You might want to take out your sigtag link. It's against board policy.

Got my desktop (The "Milano") from the same folks, and after it "pickled" appropriately it's been a rock steady humidity maintainer. With 65% beads it runs 63-67% all the time. Every month and a half or so, when the humidity gets down to 62% I'll add some H2O but it's been great.

Only $00.02 is that they do take some time to "settle down", RH wise.

Good luck - B.B.S.

PS: Your girl friend rocks.....nice gift.... :thumbs:

Yea she is pretty cool, she even smokes from time to time. She hasn't had anything really good, but I'll hopefully rectify that before too long. Right now she has been hitting up the Moontrance and the CAO eXtreme's. Hopefully I can get her a Padron this weekend, so she knows why I might drop 45 bucks for 3 sticks :)

btw, good looking out Seamus, I will definately try and get her to buy that for me, but for Christmas :)

Korean&Proud said:
damn 45 for three sticks, what are you buying?

K&P
[snapback]205512[/snapback]​

either the 26's or 64's

bfreebern said:
dsabot,

You might want to take out your sigtag link.  It's against board policy.
[snapback]205433[/snapback]​

You CAN put the link to your site in your profile under "your website information" ;) :thumbs: Like THIS GUY did. Then when someone clicks your screen name to view your profile, it comes up under "HomePage"

symyn said:
Yea she is pretty cool, she even smokes from time to time.  She hasn't had anything really good, but I'll hopefully rectify that before too long.  Right now she has been hitting up the Moontrance and the CAO eXtreme's.  Hopefully I can get her a Padron this weekend, so she knows why I might drop 45 bucks for 3 sticks :)

btw, good looking out Seamus, I will definately try and get her to buy that for me, but for Christmas :)
[snapback]205504[/snapback]​

Yer gettin' a Padron 1926 #9 maduro in your sampler pack ;) :thumbs:

The hygrometer has been stable for the last 6 hours (total of 30hrs), so I figured its time to get serious about this humidor.

Got the humidifier charged, the shot glass filled with Albertson's distilled water, the analog hygrometer inserted, the digi hygrometer is chillin on a shelf, and a seasoner packet is on the middle shelf. Now comes the waiting game :)

I put all my cigars in a huge tuperware box, enclosed them in plastic bags, and threw a damp sponge in the bottom of the box, and placed it under my bathroom sink.

The begining of a new humidor is pretty exciting :)

symyn said:
I put all my cigars in a huge tuperware box, enclosed them in plastic bags, and threw a damp sponge in the bottom of the box, and placed it under my bathroom sink.

The begining of a new humidor is pretty exciting :)
[snapback]206116[/snapback]​

Just don't mistake your sink for a urinal when you get up at 3 A.M. :p

HAH like I would do that! (well maybe when i was in college, but I was very drunk and she was hawt!)

Anyways, humidity isn't going to be my problem, temperature is. I have tried 3 different places in my bedroom and they are all around 76-77, so I put the humidor downstairs this morning, hopefully I can get it down around 70 degrees. That's the one bad thing about living in Huntington Beach all the houses don't have AC unless you built it in the last 5-7 years.

Wish me luck :)

Got the temperature down to 71-72 degree's in my downstairs closet, so that is going to have to do :) As for the ongoing RH struggle, it has leveled out around 66% on the bottom shelf and around 71% on the top shelf. I have the humidifier on the top shelf with the 50/50 solution, and a gel type container that I bought from cheaphumidors.com on the bottom shelf.

Should I buy some beads and get rid of everything else or do you guys use beads with the humidifier?

You have gotten a nice humidor. Have fun and enjoy filling it up.

As for were you got it. You got it at a A-1 place and they have some great service. They will be there to help you with any questions that you have t anytime. I lso know that if you are not happy they will give you 100% refund and get you waht you want.

I have dealt with them many times and each time I never had a problem.