• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Nespresso hack.

CigarStone

For once, knowledge is making me poor!
Does anyone else use any of the various Nespresso hacks to re-use the pods? I found a couple that work perfectly and now I can make a great cup of coffee for nothing more than the cost of the beans.

Now..............I would love some suggestions on great beans? I have tried all the basic stuff but before I buy some really "good" stuff, I would like to hear some recommendations.

We have a Nespresso, guess I'll have to look up this hack. I haven't heard of it.

It's pretty simple. You take a used pod and you carefully cut the foil top off with a sharp knife. You buy new foil lids which are about 10 cents each or you buy this little green disc and some paper filters, the filters are about 1 penny each. This is what I bought.

Funnel/pod holder
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07SMN2C5S/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Paper filters
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08H4SYJ7N/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Disc
https://www.amazon.com/Silicone-Cap...pY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU&th=1

I push the button on my grinder and grind enough beans to fill the pod, put the paper filter and the green disc on top of the pod, gently push it down and insert it into the machine. It still makes all the crema.

The green disc lasts for hundreds and hundreds of cups. You can use this with any of the pods to brew whatever size cup you want. I just buy beans and grind them as needed. You can get about 40-50 regular cups of coffee from a pound of beans.

hack.jpeg

It's pretty simple. You take a used pod and you carefully cut the foil top off with a sharp knife. You buy new foil lids which are about 10 cents each or you buy this little green disc and some paper filters, the filters are about 1 penny each. This is what I bought.

Funnel/pod holder
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07SMN2C5S/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Paper filters
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08H4SYJ7N/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Disc
https://www.amazon.com/Silicone-Cap...pY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU&th=1

I push the button on my grinder and grind enough beans to fill the pod, put the paper filter and the green disc on top of the pod, gently push it down and insert it into the machine. It still makes all the crema.

The green disc lasts for hundreds and hundreds of cups. You can use this with any of the pods to brew whatever size cup you want. I just buy beans and grind them as needed. You can get about 40-50 regular cups of coffee from a pound of beans.

View attachment 38395

Hmmm, going to have to check into it. I really do love the way coffee comes out of the Nespresso, crema and all. We can find the Nespresso pods for about $1 each, here in town, but if I can use my own ground coffee that would be so much better.

My wife routinely finds new French Press at Goodwill for under $10.00. I confess I have a Keurig for early morning departures, but the FP is so much better.....even for a single cup.

My wife routinely finds new French Press at Goodwill for under $10.00. I confess I have a Keurig for early morning departures, but the FP is so much better.....even for a single cup.

There's nothing like a French Press or Pour over (my preferred method) when I have time. Like you in the mornings, I just throw a capsule in the Nespresso and go from there. The Nespresso is such an upgrade, IMO over the Keurig, which we have as well :)

I just made some coffee in my Bialetti Express Moka pot. It's a change of pace, that I like every now and then.

To my knowledge, there is no way to get the vertuo pods cheaper. But with one of the hacks, you can use your own grounds and save a ton of money.

Anyone have any suggestion on awesome beans I should buy?

To my knowledge, there is no way to get the vertuo pods cheaper. But with one of the hacks, you can use your own grounds and save a ton of money.

Anyone have any suggestion on awesome beans I should buy?

Look into Bird Rock, a lot of members have posted it in the coffee thread. Also, @mmburtch Matt owns Cafe Typica, a coffee shop in the Denver area and he roasts his own beans.

Or you can pick up another hobby and start roasting your own beans :)

Look into Bird Rock, a lot of members have posted it in the coffee thread. Also, @mmburtch Matt has a coffee shop in the Denver area and he roasts his own beans.

Or you can pick up another hobby and start roasting your own beans :)

The last time I was at @jfields house we found out that you can roast coffee in a WhirlyPop popcorn popper so John sent me home with some beans. I haven't tried it yet because I guess it is not a pleasant smell. Maybe I should wait for a day above 40 degrees and fire up the turkey fryer, smoke a cigar, and roast some beans?

The last time I was at @jfields house we found out that you can roast coffee in a WhirlyPop popcorn popper so John sent me home with some beans. I haven't tried it yet because I guess it is not a pleasant smell. Maybe I should wait for a day above 40 degrees and fire up the turkey fryer, smoke a cigar, and roast some beans?

Yep, you can roast beans in an old style popcorn popper. There are a lot of options out there, for coffee roasters. I know Greg @bluue13 has started roasting his own beans.

It smells great, just not in the house great. and if you F it up and they catch fire, not unlike the iraqi oil fields you just have to let it burn out.

It smells great, just not in the house great. and if you F it up and they catch fire, not unlike the iraqi oil fields you just have to let it burn out.

Maybe you should tell your story of roasting coffee inside your kitchen :)

Yep, you can roast beans in an old style popcorn popper. There are a lot of options out there, for coffee roasters. I know Greg @bluue13 has started roasting his own beans.

I use a stovetop popcorn popper that is a step above whirley pop quality. It works really well, the only thing you don't have as good of a control over is temperature, but I've been honing my method. It's a lot of fun!

And definite the biggest surprise factor is how "not good" they smell when you are roasting. But maaaaaaaan the next day....

I'll have to look into these hacks for Europe. Got my wife a Nespresso machine for Christmas, like many it is great if I want a coffee before my train.