• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

New here; humidor question

Cjanderson629

Hey everyone,
I recently picked up a diamond crown humidor from my local shop. Shop owner said to season with distilled water over 3 days using the magnetic humi system that came with it. On day 2 I accidentally wiped down only the lid with tap water before I realized what I was doing. I ended up transitioning to boveda packs for seasoning over 2 weeks. Fast forward, it’s been 2 weeks. I open up today to remove the boveda packs and finally place my collection inside and I notice this black spot on the lid. My initial instinct is that I ruined it and it’s mold. After removing the hygrometer, I notice there’s a washer shaped, black “O” spot that perfectly matches the shape of the magnet on the back of it.
Does this look like mold? Or am I reading/getting advice online that it could be iron oxide from the magnets of the hygrometer and magnetic humi system? (Note: the humi system was only in for two days and I can’t be sure on the exact location on the lid it was placed.)
Pics are included. Thanks in advance!
B713BADA-7DA9-4BAC-849F-770DE6EA0D31.jpeg

Attachments

• C24A8496-C16E-4418-935B-9C08AC90C4C8.jpeg
    C24A8496-C16E-4418-935B-9C08AC90C4C8.jpeg
    206.7 KB · Views: 4
Hey there, don't forget to drop into the introduction thread and tell us about yourself.

As far as your humi spots, what is the magnet device made of and does it just rest directly on the wood?

If you rub the black spots do they or did they smear?

Most often mold in a humidor is white and fuzzy on occasion if real bad it's kinda green. But mold spores are everywhere and won't populate if humidity is controlled properly.

Do you have a hydrometer?

Last edited:
Hey there, don't forget to drop into the introduction thread and tell us about yourself.

As far as your humi spots, what is the magnet device made of and does it just rest directly on the wood?

If you rube the black spots do the or did the smear?

Most often mold in a humidor is white and fuzzy on occasion if real bad it's kinda green. But mold spores are everywhere and won't populate if humidity is controlled properly.

Do you have a hydrometer?
They did not smear. Not sure what the magnet is made of, but it does rest directly on the wood. The magnet is actually on the hydrometer. I’ll head over to the intro page now!

Sounds like stains, follow Texas Travelers advice and consider putting something between the magnet and the wood to prevent further staining.

May want to consider calibrating your hydrometer using the water salt method just to make sure everything is working properly.

Good luck!