• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

New Humidor on the way!

toliver

I am a fairly new cigar smoker. I have smoked one every now and then for years, but just decided to get my own humidor and stock it.

I bought a Reed & Barton - Biltmore humidor. I bought it off e-bay. I had no idea what I was doing and I did not find this forum until after I had bought the humidor. I hope it is a good one. It is suppose to hold 100 sticks.

Other than what I have read in this group, I have no idea how to get it started. Can anyone give me a step by step "To Do List" on how to get started in getting the humidor ready.

I have a box of H. Upman Coronas on the way and I just bought a box of Padron 2000. How long will theses last not being in a humidor? My humidor should be here any day now. Every now and then I can buy some good cigars as singles. Are these decent everyday smokes? Any suggestions?

toliver said:
I hope it is a good one. It is suppose to hold 100 sticks.
[snapback]202951[/snapback]​

As long is it has a proper seal you should be fine... And I'd be suprised if any humi that was touted as holding 100 sticks would actually hold that many... depends on the size of the cigars, so the 100 cigar figure is an estimate and will vary depending on your preferred smokes

toliver said:
Can anyone give me a step by step "To Do List" on how to get started in getting the humidor ready.

Fill your humidifier and put it in the humi... then you will want to calibrate the hygrometer to ensure an accurate reading... this is done by taking a bit (a couple teaspoons full) of salt in a small dish and wetting (not soaking) it and leaving the hygrometer sealed in a plastic bag with the wet salt for a few hours. It should read 75% (correct me if I'm wrong here fellas). Once you're calibrated, install the hygrometer and keep the humi closed for a day or three to get the cedar good and humidified. You may want to put a dish of distilled water or 50/50 soultion in as well to speed things along. Once you reach a stable humidity between 65%-75% (depends on the cigars, and the owners preference) you can put your smokes in there.

toliver said:
How long will theses last not being in a humidor? Are these decent everyday smokes?
You want to get them into a controlled enviroment as quickly as possible! I personally wouldn't leave the boxes sitting out for too long.

As far as I know, as long as you keep the humidity and temp good, cigars will last indefinitely... just take care of them and they will take care of you! And as far as decent everyday smokes... depends on your tastes and budget... they sound fine to me, but to each his own.

Welcome to the Board!!!
edit: and you will want to fill in your profile and be sure you have a mailing address in there... you'd be suprised what can show up if you let people know where you are!

Ahhhhh, what they said, yeah. If you get to confused or the sensation of being over whelmed, then just walk into the kitchen and take one of your pills and in no time you will be or feel nice and calm.

Did I just type that out into the group? Damn-it, sometimes the brain just goes and starts spitting out my personel info for the entire world to read.

Just follow the directions on setting up the humidor which should come in the box. it is easy but takes a couple of days before you can put your cigars in it. But I doubt if anyone here will steer you the wrong way.
???

Every now and then I can buy some good cigars as singles. Are these decent everyday smokes? Any suggestions?
Yes! It's also a great way to find out what you like without buying an entire box. Another fun thing is to check out cbid here this is a cigar auction system. They have very good deals on 5 packs of cigars, this is another great way to try something new.

Welcome to the club :thumbs:

It is suppose to hold 100 sticks.

Don't be too disappointed if it does not hold that much. Generally (from what I have seen) they quote that based on smaller size smokes.

Post a pick of what you got when you get it.