• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

New Irons on order!

grateful1

Oh My!
Well, I'm not a good as I thought I was...go figure!!!

I was interested in the new MP irons(blades), so I set up an appointment with the local Mizuno rep..

Well, I'm around a 12 hdcp....and I thought these would force me to have to play better. Yea, what the hell was I thinking! :laugh:

The club fitting system they have is great. I tried numerous shafts with a few different models(all 6 irons) and a couple different shaft lengths.

I currently play Mizuno MX 23's 1+ in over shaft and 3 degrees upright with Dynalite s300 shafts. 6 irons goes about 160-165yd.

Well, it appears I am still at the 'Game Improvement' level as far as clubs go.

The fitting showed the best club for me is the MX 200, 3/4 in. over with s300 xp shafts(lighter than my current clubs) and 3 degrees upright.

The feel on these was great and the dispersion was very small on miss hits. There was more height and distance, and feel was excellent.

It will be a few weeks to get these in...we'll see what happens.

I really wanted to go with a club that will 'work' the ball more, but as my assistant pro said...'Why, when you can hit it straight!' :sign:

What was the MX 200 6-iron distance for you? As tall as you are you should be getting 170 to 180 yds with your 6 iron. Assuming a solid strike that is.... ;)

You cant find a better iron than Mizuno, I am on my second set of MP-32s as I wore out my last set. They make the best forgings in the world. Even Tigers irons are rumored to be Mizuno forgings with Nike markings...

What was the MX 200 6-iron distance for you? As tall as you are you should be getting 170 to 180 yds with your 6 iron. Assuming a solid strike that is....
wink.gif

I currently play the MX-23's and I play my 6 around 165 (as noted above).

Today, I hit the demo club at least 5-10+ yards further with a better ball flight and dispertion. :thumbs:

The thing about these...my miss hits were not far off distance wise, from my current clubs.

Depending on how this all works out, I may re-shaft my current set as a back-up.

Going for a professional fitting was one of the best things I ever did for my golf game when I was still able to play. It forces you to be honest with yourself about your abilities and to use equipment that works best for you.

I hope the new clubs give you the confidence and enough good shots to make working on your game as satisfying as it can be. Man, I miss the links...

What was the MX 200 6-iron distance for you? As tall as you are you should be getting 170 to 180 yds with your 6 iron. Assuming a solid strike that is....
wink.gif

I currently play the MX-23's and I play my 6 around 165 (as noted above).

Today, I hit the demo club at least 5-10+ yards further with a better ball flight and dispertion. :thumbs:

The thing about these...my miss hits were not far off distance wise, from my current clubs.

Depending on how this all works out, I may re-shaft my current set as a back-up.

Good deal. That will put you right there at the 170 to 180 yard 6 iron. Did you order any Wedges with the Zip Grooves?

I'm contemplating ordering the MP-68's. Beautiful blades. I used to play the old Mizzy TP-9 blades for years, then switched to Titleist and am now playing Cobra.

I can't remember a better feeling forged iron than a Mizuno.

I did a similar thing but in a game sometimes called, Golf with a shotgun. I had managed to shoot myself into Double A with a run of the mill Beretta 687. I had won a few of tournements and had shot pretty well with an off the shelf gun. So, I thought, It's time for the shotgun of my dreams and shoot myself into Master class. I got professionally fitted and bought a Perazzi SC3. I haven't won a competition since. Hope you have better luck than I did.
laugh.gif

Doc.

I'm contemplating ordering the MP-68's. Beautiful blades. I used to play the old Mizzy TP-9 blades for years, then switched to Titleist and am now playing Cobra.

I can't remember a better feeling forged iron than a Mizuno.

The best part of this was really seeing what the different shaft combinations did with each model. I even asked to try the 58's with a couple shafts. The dispersion alone was just not good...as I learned about myself! ;)

Another thing I learned yesterday was that my current irons are too long. This was forcing me to pull back on some of the shots.
Well, after a few holes to warm up(range is closed stiill), I purposfully choked down on all of my iron shots...wouldn't you know it, I shot a 38 (par 35) on the front nine(our back)...and this with aerated greens!

:laugh:

I'm playing the Taylormade TP MB Smoke muscleback blades, Nippon N.S. Pro 950GH stiff shafts, Golf Pride red/black multi-compound grips. Such a workable set of irons. High, low, draw, fade, all really easy. I've seen the Mizuno blades, and have always wanted to hit them but just never took the time =)

I had the Nike Victory Red forged blades before this set, and didn't really enjoy them very much. I ended up selling them to get the taylormade smokes. I have a set of the TP MB satin, 3-PW, Precision Flighted 6.0 shafts with taylormade tour velvet grips that I am considering selling. They were going to be my backup set, but I just like the set I have too much to use anything else =)

I live close to Mizuno's USA Headquarters and they customer fit clubs there. It had to be 5 years ago now I could not decide between the MP-60 Cut muscle or the Ping S59 Blades. I really like the feel of mizuno and the tackiness of their grips but I ultimately went with the Ping +1.5" and 2 Degrees upright. I have been extremely happy with them and shot a 77 Wednesday at St. Marlo.

Glad to hear you had a good experience with Mizuno and I'm sure those will be the perfect set until you need the next level.

I'm playing the Taylormade TP MB Smoke muscleback blades, Nippon N.S. Pro 950GH stiff shafts, Golf Pride red/black multi-compound grips. Such a workable set of irons. High, low, draw, fade, all really easy. I've seen the Mizuno blades, and have always wanted to hit them but just never took the time =)

I had the Nike Victory Red forged blades before this set, and didn't really enjoy them very much. I ended up selling them to get the taylormade smokes. I have a set of the TP MB satin, 3-PW, Precision Flighted 6.0 shafts with taylormade tour velvet grips that I am considering selling. They were going to be my backup set, but I just like the set I have too much to use anything else =)

The TP Smokes are absolutely beautiful irons, and I love the specs on the Nike Reds. Unfortunately, neither is offered in LH or I'd definitely have a set of the TP's. I hate being a lefty sometimes....

I have a set of Bridgestone J-36 Blades in my bag. Nothing crazy, just Project X flighted 6.0 shafts with the Golf Pride two color grips. I really like them, and find that they are pretty easy to work the ball (when my game is on).

Grateful, did you get your sticks yet? How are you liking them?

I have a set of Bridgestone J-36 Blades in my bag. Nothing crazy, just Project X flighted 6.0 shafts with the Golf Pride two color grips. I really like them, and find that they are pretty easy to work the ball (when my game is on).

Grateful, did you get your sticks yet? How are you liking them?

Didn't you see the Davidoff Sale! :laugh:

I got the sticks. Great set up. I may get my MX-23's reshafted and set-up like these. The fellow I play golf with on the weekends (a 2 hdcp) really likes the new ball flght I have with these....so, to me that's saying a lot! :thumbs:

Just picked up a set of MP-58s today and love them! Snuck out today about noon and braved the heat and man are these awesome. I highly recommend them to anyone.
MP-58

Very nice sticks, I just got these a couple weeks ago LINK and I'm loving every minute with them... Great sticks...

Very nice! :thumbs:

My index is as low as it's been, my consistency is better....and I shot a 77 (lowest score ever) a few weeks ago!

Now for a story:

I'm at the range with my friend Brian. I'm hitting a 5 iron up hill to a 160ish yard pin. Nice and easy with a little fade over the pin. He asks me what I'm hitting and I tell him. A couple shot later I ask him what he's hitting (to the same pin)....he says 'An 8-iron!'.
Now, I know he can do that as he is a great ball striker and plays a fine draw.
So, I'm like...shit!
I say, hmmm, let me try a 7-iron.
Sure enough, I start hitting the 7 onto the flag...with some ease. COOL.
Well, Brian says....'let me try a 9-iron'.
Yup, he's throwing a 9-iron onto the flag.
Ummm, I can't have that and drop to an 8-iron...solid full strikes and the balls on the pin!!! NICE!
You guessed it...he drops to a PITCHING WEDGE...160ish yards up hill, albeit slightly....and you guessed it...high draws just onto the front of the pin location.
Yea...I tried a 9-iron next....and I got it the the front of the pin location. WOW.

All along I kept a consistent aggressive tempo and let my left side go at the pin and turn...I NEVER thought I'd hit a 9-iron that far...and that accurate.
That was a few weeks ago and since then I've been able to be confident in taking a shorted iron into some pin locations.

What a great experience!

Oh yea, that 5-iron shot....well, on a par-3 from about 190yds....well, it went over the green...Whoops!

its amazing how much better the golf swing turns out when you really focus on a nice fluid tempo. It syncs the whole swing and hip turn together. I purchased a set of mp62's about a year ago, I've managed to establish the handicap at an 11. Glad to hear your enjoying the clubs, mizuno sure knows how to make 'em.

I am a 4 and have always been the shortest hitter in our scratch group. These guys really get on it and hit it a mile, I have picked up at least 2 clubs in distance as you have Gary in the last year. It is amazing what happens when you hit the ball with a square club head instead of an over the top glancing blow!! I am by no means long, but it is nice to hit a 6 iron 175 in this flat, sea level, heavy air!