• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

New Pipe Buying Advice

To err is human, to smoke, divine.
I've never bought a 'new' pipe and I have some questions I wanted to address before I pull the trigger on a purchase.

I know that the quality of pipe you choose greatly influences your smoking experience (ability to keep pipe lit, proper draw, taste, smoke temperature, etc). I've experienced this first hand because the first pipes I bought were cheap estate pipes on eBay and I only actually enjoyed smoking out of one of the four. All those pipes have since been decommissioned and my regular smoker is a Big Ben I picked up when Alan (LilBastage) had a pipe sale a couple years ago. I love the way my pipe smokes. I can always keep it lit, the bowl is easy to pack, and the smoke is relatively easy to keep cool.

Heading into a cold winter, I want to have at least one or two more pipes to work into my rotation. I've been looking around on eBay at nicer estate pipes and trying to stay to the big brands, but very few interest me. The ones that do often go for nearly the same price as a brand new pipe!

Long story short, I'm trying to take the gamble out of my pipe purchase. I've been looking at churchwardens (I'd love to get a good one) and found that Savinelli has brand new ones for ~$55 (linky). Now that I've seen a brand new Savinelli for less than a lot of estate pipes go for, I'm skeptical as to whether or not this is a good pipe. How do I tell? Am I pretty safe with anything Savinelli, Dunhill, Peterson, etc?

Essentially, I don't want to shell out $60-150 for a pipe and end up not being able to enjoy it. Thanks for any input, guys. :thumbs:

Edit to add: I'd also take any advice on where and how to find good estate pipes!

I'm glad you're enjoying the Big Ben. :thumbs:

I have 3 Savinelli pipes. All are fine smokers. The only Savinellis I've ever heard complaints about are the filter pipes being smoked without the filter or converter. I have a Sav filter pipe and with the converter in place, it smokes fine. I've never tried it without the converter.

I would say you're pretty safe with most of the bigger names. There's always the chance you'll get a dud, but for the most part, you should be alright I would think. Of course, this completely discounts personal preferences in the mechanics of a pipe and how they match up to your smoking style.

Keep in mind that you may have to break in the new pipe and the first several smokes may not give you any idea as to how the pipe will end up smoking over the long haul. I used to poo-poo the break in process, but my experience has taught me that pipes without a bowl coating benefit greatly from a gentle break-in. The pipes I've purchased with a coating smoked fine from the get go, so I don't go through any process with them.

YMMV, of course. Good luck! :)

I've been looking at churchwardens (I'd love to get a good one) and found that Savinelli has brand new ones for ~$55 (linky).

Why doesn't this surprise me? You always gotta go for the gusto Matt.

I am planning on buying a pipe pr two in the very near future...Jon got me hooked!

Essentially, I don't want to shell out $60-150 for a pipe and end up not being able to enjoy it. Thanks for any input, guys. :thumbs:

There are Boswell's in that price range as well. I just got a Petersen from my friends in lab. It went out on me 2-3 times but I attribute that to user error. It smoked well though while it was lit.

I am planning on buying a pipe pr two in the very near future...Jon got me hooked!

Damn straight sucka, and Jesus here got me hooked back in 08. Funny how things come full circle!

Ok, I pulled the trigger on the Savinelli Chuchwarden. Thanks for the advice, guys. I'll let you know how she smokes after I get a chance to break her in. :thumbs:

Ok, I pulled the trigger on the Savinelli Chuchwarden. Thanks for the advice, guys. I'll let you know how she smokes after I get a chance to break her in. :thumbs:

Pics!!

Good choice! I've got a couple of Savinelli Signatures. I think you'll be pleased.