• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

New project: Icebox Humidor

tmoney2007

I finally found an icebox that suits my needs (big, cheap, nearby and not needing much work). I had to drive over an hour to get it but I think it is worth it. 95% of it is in great shape, not perfect but structurally sound. Its almost 4 ft tall, so there is lots of room inside and all I have to do is fix a couple things and get it lined in spanish cedar.

2qntpaa.jpg

The top latch is a little loose, but that is a simple fix. One thing I'm a bit leery about is the veneer on the top door is bubbled pretty badly, but I'm afraid to replace it because I'm not sure that I'll be able to get any finish to match. The veneer on one of the panels on the left side is messed up, but I may just try to stabilize the messed up part.

I am also thinking about insulating it somehow since it gets pretty hot and humid in my part of the country.

Anyone have any experience with this kind of thing? I'll need all the help I can get.

Cut a slit in the veneer with a single edge razor so that the trapped air underneath can escape during the fix. Use the slit to inject glue into the void with a syringe. Press the veneer down carefully, wipe clean, and set something flat and heavy on it, separated from the surface with wax paper in case there's more glue leakage, until it dries.

Oh, and GREAT humidor project! :thumbs: That'll really hold some boxes! Is it a real, insulated icebox or a decorative model?

~Boar

Its a pretty big ripple (you can see it catch the light in the picture), but I can take the door off and try to repair it.

It is a real insulated icebox, but I don't know what's behind the tin. I'm thinking about putting foam insulation in before I put the spanish cedar in.

simulac I remember those days good luck with the little ones. Do what Boar said, if you need a syringe I can help as I work in the health care field

Cut a slit in the veneer with a single edge razor so that the trapped air underneath can escape during the fix. Use the slit to inject glue into the void with a syringe. Press the veneer down carefully, wipe clean, and set something flat and heavy on it, separated from the surface with wax paper in case there's more glue leakage, until it dries.

Oh, and GREAT humidor project! :thumbs: That'll really hold some boxes! Is it a real, insulated icebox or a decorative model?

~Boar
That is exactly how my Grandpa taught me to repair veneer.

Yeah, those icebox humidors aew great looking. Still have never found one that I could pry away from the owner.

simulac I remember those days good luck with the little ones. Do what Boar said, if you need a syringe I can help as I work in the health care field

Cool, I'll remember that when I start the project. I've got a couple other things going on, so I won't be able to get started on it for a bit, but I'm excited.

I couldn't find one for less than about $600 for a while, and that was for a much smaller one. This one popped up on craigslist for $200 and I had to grab it.

I am also thinking about insulating it somehow since it gets pretty hot and humid in my part of the country

If it's an icebox it should already be insulated and have a decent seal on it. I can't open the photos due to my location and the internet speed but most Iceboxes I've seen converted have just had some fans and cedar added....

goodluck...looks like a fun and rewarding project...

Cheers,

R