• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

New shop tools

jgohlke

My other hobby
I've been working on this for 6 months and it is finally coming together. Here's the pic:

standard.jpg

The story:
My wife works in a store located in a local strip mall. One of the other stores was a picture framing store and the guy bought another store across town and consolidated both of his locations to the one bigger store (across town). He put the word out that he had some extra stuff for sale, so I stopped by to check it out. He had this really nice 2 miter saw setup mounted on a table with fancy extensions and measuring stops. It was very impressive, but not for sale. He has some other very specific framing gear that I wasn't interested in and I was almost ready to leave when I spotted in the back room, on the floor, 2 Dewalt miter saws. He said they were broken and he had replaced them with new ones (the ones he was using). A couple of days later, he discovered that the miter saw table he had planned to move wouldn't fit, so he offered that up for sale. Long story short - I picked up the 2 broken 12" Dewalt Combination Miter saws and the table for $150 total.

One of the saws was an easy fix...he had left out the washer that increases the arbor size from 3/4 to 1". I actually found the washer stuck in a saw blade in his pile of "saw blades to be sharpened". The other saw turned out to have more problems. Apparently, he had started the saw with the blade lock on (the button you push to keep the blade from moving so you can change the blade). This mechanism jams the transmission gears so the blade can't turn. The motor of the saw has enough torque to spin anyway and this was what I found when I took it apart:

standard.jpg

Notice the shaft is hour-glass shaped? It isn't supposed to be...it should be straight. The armature spins and drives the big gear which is the same shaft as the blade. With the blade locked, the motor just stripped the gears right off the armature. Imagine how that sounded...

I hunted around and for a while it seemed that the parts would cost more than a replacement saw. I looked online everywhere. A couple of weeks ago I knocked off work early and went to our local Dewalt service center hoping to buy a refurbished saw or maybe scavenge the parts off an old saw. Surprisingly, I was able to buy new parts there for about $100 (local B&M smokes the internet for service and price!).

Once I had the parts, I rebuilt the saw and it hums like new now! I got the table assembled (it's actually two tables side-by-side held together by a 2x4 frame and plywood)...installed the electric service (I had to move an outlet in the shop), hooked up the dust collection and I am ready to make some sawdust!

So far, I've only used the 2-saw setup once....that was making molding for a doorway. I had one saw set up to cut 45 degree angles and the other one for straight cut-offs. It was sweet not having to swing the saw back and forth between cuts.

All this for $250! (well, not including the saw blades....)

standard.jpg

Nice set up. Many years ago I bought my neighbors workshop for 300.00.
it included a table saw, drill press, table mounted band saw, table mounted planner,bench grinder and two heavy duty work benches. The equipement was old but worked fine.

I bought a Dewalt 12" sliding miter saw before I built my garage. Couldn't have done the job without it and it was worth every penny. Not sure I'd ever need a side by side set-up and to tell you the truth I can't see how it is used but more and bigger toys are always good!

Very nice setup Joe, now you can make something really special for the Quad State Herf...... :D :thumbs: :p

Joe nice set up and great story on how to fix things rather than throwing them out.

Wanna build some pinewood derby cars?? LMAO!!!

Very nice setup. This is my next major project, redoing the garage.

make that 2 pinewood derby cars. :D

Not to threadjack, but I've got two to build this year and while I like doing it, I'm not looking forward to it right now. LOL! I've got every tool imaginable to work on metal, but have but one circular saw and a hammer to use on wood.

Not to threadjack, but I've got two to build this year and while I like doing it, I'm not looking forward to it right now. LOL! I've got every tool imaginable to work on metal, but have but one circular saw and a hammer to use on wood.
The magic tool for Pinewood Derby cars is a Dremel. You can use it to shape the body, polish the axles, smooth the molding burrs off the wheels, etc.

Built three winners with a cheapo Dremel clone I bought at Harbor Freight Tools for $20.00.....FTW.... :cool:

Cheers - B.B.S.

Can you make clocks out of cigar boxes with that equipment?????????

To answer AVB's question....it's a framers setup. Typically each saw is set to cut 45 degree angles cuts (like what you'd need to make pictures frames) with each saw swung to the outside. That way it's fast....you can cut the left and the right just by sliding the frame piece. Each saw can have stop set so once you get the jig set, you can make frames (all the same) pretty fast. The guy that owned the frame store did a lot of model home work...I think he made a lot of the same thing over and over.

Once you swing the saw, there are some micro-adjustments you can make to get the saw to cut exactly 45 degree angles. If you need exact cuts (like in picture framing) there is some screwing around with the saw to get it to cut perfect miters. At that point, you don't want to swing the saw unless you really have to....that's why he had 2. One for the left cut, one for the right cut. Once he had them adjusted, he didn't move them.

He had this setup:Phaedra Framing which is too much $$ for what I need, so I built my own.

For my shop, I wouldn't have bought two saws just to have two...but I got them in a package deal. For a while, it seemed that only one of them was repairable, but I managed to get both of them fixed. It's overkill for what I need, but pretty cool and I thought sweet enough to warrant a post....

Just for the record, this isn't my garage...it's my shop. I am fortunate enough to have a stand-alone building, 12x32, barn-shaped in the back yard. We bought the house with the shop already there (it was 12x16 then) and I added another12x16 building to the front of it to make it the 12x32 barn it is now. My last shop was 12x24 and I promised myself a bigger one next time. I've already decided that the next one is at least 20x40!

A man can never have too many tools - especially POWER tools! Well done, Joe.

The magic tool for Pinewood Derby cars is a Dremel. You can use it to shape the body, polish the axles, smooth the molding burrs off the wheels, etc.

Built three winners with a cheapo Dremel clone I bought at Harbor Freight Tools for $20.00.....FTW.... :cool:

Cheers - B.B.S.

That Dremel clone doesnt look too bad. I dont need one, but I might have to go get one :)