• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

New to cubans

dlow

Noob
I'd like to try a few Cubans soon (not going to discuss sources, don't worry). Anyways, I think I've got a pretty good handle on the type of smokes that I like now and I'm at the point where s'd feel comfortable branching out and trying a few cuban smokes. To give a short summary, I prefer sweeter, med to full bodied smokes and wrappers that have a lot of spice to them. So far, Some of my favorite non ISOMs include: Ashton VSG, CAO Brazilia, AF Chateau Maduro, AF Chateau Sun Grown, Alec Bradley Tempus, Oliva O maduro, CAO Criollo and CAO Sopranos. Anyone have suggestions for some Cubans I should start out with based on my preferences? Anywhere I can go to get some recommendations or the flavor profile of a particular Cuban? Is there a good starting point for someone like myself who's new to Cuban cigars? Given the prices and rarity of Cubans, I'd prefer to get a few suggestions before I start sampling.

Thanks ahead of time.

I suggest trying cigars that don't require aging to get good results. RyJ Short Churchill, HdM Petite Robusto, Monte Petite Edmundo, Party Shorts, and PSD4s, for example.

Good luck on your journey.

Steve

Its really hard for me to compare NC's to CC's so like vortex said. Grab a few singles and see what you think.

Go for some PSD 4's or any ISOM w/a maduro leaf...that would leave you with the Cohiba maduro line or some of the LE's.

My suggestions would be the Por Larranaga Petit Corona, Montecristo 4, Partagas D4, Bolivar Belicoso Fino, RyJ Short Churchill, Juan Lopez No. 2, Punch Punch, H. Upmann Magunm 46.

A safe introduction to the cc world would be Montechristo, Partagas, Romeo y Julieta. These are classics.
Cohibas, Hoyo de Monterrey, H. Upmann will take you some steps further. (I don't like the cohibas but lots of people do).
Por Larranaga, Punch, Juan Lopez, Saint Luis Rey are the real cubans. But make no mistake. You need to go slow.
For sure don't go for the Cuaba, Ramon Allones, Trinidad, Vegas Robaina. These are not for cc starters. You would probably hate them.

Through the generosity of various BOTL, I've been able to try quite a few different CCs, but am still very much a newbie to them . . . so, based on my own experiences, the two best to begin with would be the Hoyo Epicure # 2 and the RyJ Short Churchill. Not only do they taste great sans aging, they just plain taste great.

The RASS is another favorite, but not everyone likes 'em young. I happen to be someone who does.

~Boar

SNIP<<<<<
For sure don't go for the Cuaba, Ramon Allones, Trinidad, Vegas Robaina. These are not for cc starters. You would probably hate them.

OK, 'splain please. I'm curious.

You would be looking at cigars with rather aggressive character. The palate needs to adjust and be trained into the cuban cigars. It takes some time. You are better off to start with the classics rather than go for the extremes such as Cuabas, RASS etc. Not to mention that ageing is an absolute must for these lines.

Por Larranaga Petit Coronas are great. Can't go wrong with a Monte, especially a #2. You've gotten some good suggestions so far. I would look into samplers so you can find what suites your tastes.

By the way, I can't believe nobody's mentioned Johnny-O! Great smokes at great prices. You might want to let them age a bit, but it will be worth it!

Thanks for all the great suggestions guys. This definitely gives me some starting points.

RASS, RASS, RASS, RASS and more RASS

I have to highly disagree with El Greco. Every RASS I've had was wonderful right from the UPS signature

Johnny-O's are amazing, I also agree with Los on the RASS, speaking of which, my box is almost empty, it's a sad day :(

Being a mainly Cuban cigar smoker, I will list the cigars that you can smoke right out the box, and are smoking well right now:

RyJ Mille Fleurs
RyJ Short Churchills
Partagas Habaneros
Partagas PSD4
Monte 4,5
Cohiba Maduro 5 Secretos
Por Larranaga Montecarlos
Punch Punch

Give em a go.

Being a mainly Cuban cigar smoker, I will list the cigars that you can smoke right out the box, and are smoking well right now:

RyJ Mille Fleurs
RyJ Short Churchills
Partagas Habaneros
Partagas PSD4
Monte 4,5
Cohiba Maduro 5 Secretos
Por Larranaga Montecarlos
Punch Punch

Give em a go.

Thanks. How's the Cohiba Maduro? Is this an OK start for a Cuban or should I go with the traditional non-maduro wrapper that's more representative of cuban cigars? I'm a huge fan of Maduro wrappers, but I know that until Cohiba introduced it's maduro, this was unheard of for Cubans.

I enjoyed my maduro cohibas. if you haven't done so already, sign up for the newbie sampler trade. i would hate for you to put all your eggs in one basket and find you don't like your purchase.

I enjoyed my maduro cohibas. if you haven't done so already, sign up for the newbie sampler trade. i would hate for you to put all your eggs in one basket and find you don't like your purchase.

That probably makes the most sense given my experience. Thanks. I'll probably do that instead. Let me read up on things first, so I'm familiar with how it works and I'll get involved.

I'll add a plug for the newbie sampler trade. It's a great experience. I got some great sticks that I almost don't want to smoke for fear of the road it will lead me down. :p I'm slowly working my way through them though.

That probably makes the most sense given my experience. Thanks. I'll probably do that instead. Let me read up on things first, so I'm familiar with how it works and I'll get involved.

I loved the newbie sampler, great deal....do it! You will get to know one or two guys also

I will be trying the sampler trade soon.. cant wait! Not that I am expecting ISOMs or anything tho... :whistling: