• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

new to pipe smoking

dead_man

Reaction score
hey all, i'm new to pipe smoking, but like it so far.
I've got a question for you, about half way, my pipe goes out.
I assume I'm packing too loose, but want to be sure.

thanks

It's not at all unusual to have to relight a pipe in my experience.

Are you tamping down the ash occasionally? That can help.

As counter intuitive as it sounds, you may actually be packing too tightly.

However, you could be packing just fine. Sometimes a pipe needs to be relit. Try tamping as you go as tigger suggested and don't worry about it too much. It's supposed to be relaxing so do your best not to make it stressful. :)

How the tobacco is packed can sometimes be secondary. Sometimes it is just about finding the right rhythm when smoking. I find that things such as reading a book or watching a movie help me find a proper rhythm to keep the pipe lit. When I stop trying too hard, that's when it all comes together.

What method are you using to pack and what kind of tobacco are you smoking?

Last night I packed the bowl tighter than usual, and it smoked extremely well. Half way through I had to tamp it a bit, and that got the bowl going again nicely. The way you pack it makes all the difference.

thanks for all the replies. right now i'm smoking prince albert out of a cheap $20 pipe, it's all i have right now. I use the thee pinch method for packing.