• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

New to pipe smoking

pyro92

Deputy Pyro
Hey guys, I'm new to both pipe smoking and cigar smoking and I have been reading a lot of positive reviews on the Christmas Cheer blend and I'm curious if it would be worth the price and size of the tin for me to try out. From what I understand it's pretty mild with a sweet taste which is what I like, I'm just used to buying my tobacco in smaller amounts since I am just looking to try out new blends to try out to find a favorite. I'm also considering trying some Boswells Christmas cookie which I believe I will like after reading some reviews on it.

I just purchased a few different tobaccos I found recomended on here, as well as some I found myself. I tried to find some smells like/taste like tobaccos but I'll have to try them out myself. I'd also appreciate any suggestions you guys have of anything to try out, I'd like to try some non aromatics as well.

McClellands Christmas Cheer is definitely not an aromatic, if thats what you're after. It is a straight Virginia tobacco, with a lot of natural sweetness to it. That being said, it is a favorite of mine. I suggest giving it a go, if you dont like it, I'll gladly buy the rest from you. Its one of the most popular tobaccos around! If you want more of an aromatic holiday blend, try McClellands Holiday Spirit. Its cased with cocoa, pecan, and rum, and perfectly sweet.

Christmas Cookie on the other hand, is quite an aromatic. I enjoy it quite a bit, and I dont smoke aromatics often. You cant go wrong with mostly everything Boswell sells. They make great tobaccos.

Christmas cheer is pretty sweet (and I suspect may have the slightest of sweateners added to it). Its definately a good transition from Aromatics to straight Viginias. You may also like H&H Anniversery Kake. Which is also very sweet (chocolatey). For something stronger, but still slightly sweet, try McClelland's Blackwoods Flake or Samuel Gawith's Best Brown Flake (if you can find it).

You should also try something of the English Variety. Blends like Duhill MM965 and Peterson's Old Dublin do a very good job of balancing sweet and smokey.

McClellands Christmas Cheer is definitely not an aromatic, if thats what you're after. It is a straight Virginia tobacco, with a lot of natural sweetness to it. That being said, it is a favorite of mine. I suggest giving it a go, if you dont like it, I'll gladly buy the rest from you. Its one of the most popular tobaccos around! If you want more of an aromatic holiday blend, try McClellands Holiday Spirit. Its cased with cocoa, pecan, and rum, and perfectly sweet.

Christmas Cookie on the other hand, is quite an aromatic. I enjoy it quite a bit, and I dont smoke aromatics often. You cant go wrong with mostly everything Boswell sells. They make great tobaccos.

Interesting, I was under the impression CC was an aromatic, I'll deffinatly have to give it a try.

You can also try the McLelland's Bulk 2010. It is reminiscent of Christmas Cheer, and very economical.

Christmas Cookie is an aromatic, but a very good quality one. All of Boswell's blends are good quality. I personally rarely smoke aromatics, but when I tried both Christmas Cookie and Boswell's Best, they were both great, but I favored Boswell's Best between the two. Another good aromatic is the Peterson Holiday Blends. I just had some of the 2011 this past weekend and it was excellent. Lots of cinnamon and spice flavors...if you could out Christmas in a pipe and smoke it, this was definitely it lol

A couple of others I enjoyed when first starting we're McClelland's 221b series Honeydew and Arcadia. Samuel Gawith Squadron leader was another one I liked from the first bowl as well.

I have an empty humi that I never set up so I keep some of the unopened and ziplocked pouches in there. Probably not smart, but I don't know if I'll ever set it up so whatever. I bought a dozen canning jars (available at your local hardware store or supermarket more than likely) for opened tins and other baggies.

Do you guy keep your pipe tobacco in the humi as well?

I keep my sealed tins in a couple of large Tupperware type tubs and some in boxes in a closet in the basement. Anything that's been opened or was bulk I put in mason jars and they're stored in the same closet. I haven't found much info on the subject, but what I've read was down closer to 40% or so RH is what to shoot for. I would think trying to keep a stable temp and keeping excess humidity away from your tins is probably better to avoid tins from rusting.