• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

New to pipes and looking for suggestions

Glassjaw

Hey guys,
I am new to pipes and just got the English sampler from 4noggins. My favorite is the Chipman Hill. I believe the incense-like flavor I like in it is the Latakia, but I'm new so I'm not sure. I am looking for suggestions for some tobaccos that are similar to the Chipman Hill. Thanks for you time.

Yup, that peaty smoky flavor is indeed Latakia. If that's to your liking I would suggest you try to get some of Samuel Gawith Squadron Leader. The tins are hard to come by, but you can still find the bulk pretty easily (pipesandcigars.com usually has it and will sell in quantities as small as a single ounce). Also try Peterson's Old Dublin. Its one of my favorites. If you want to try heavier Latakia blends, I would suggest starting with Cornell and Diehl's Star of the East because its good, cheap and available. You may also want to try Esoterica Margate (very heavy Latakia) and Penzance if you can find it. Also, Dunhill Nightcap is a good strong Lat blend. Being a cigar smoker you may want to try C&D Billy Budd, too. Its a solid English blend with a little cigar leaf thrown in.

I'd also suggest you pick up a tin of Orlick Golden Sliced to get a feel for a Straight VA blend - quite the opposite of an English blend, the VA will be sweet rather than smokey. You may even want to try some Escudo, as its pretty much the bench mark for VA/Per - the addition of Perique makes the blend a little spicier.

Thank you very much for your response! I look forward to trying those tobaccos.

Another good one to try if you like Latakia is Esoterica Penzance if you can get a hold of it.

Good suggestions so far. If you want to try something else, give one of the McClelland Grand Orientals a try. Each one has a different Oriental featured in the blend. Also, the Christmas Cheer for a good VA.

Christmas Cheer!!!!!!!!!!! C&D opening night is also good, BBF if you can find it is also a fav!

Christmas Cheer!!!!!!!!!!! C&D opening night is also good, BBF if you can find it is also a fav!