• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

New use for PG

Ah-Ha!
I always was a fan of PG. Let's see the "beads" try to stop a bullet. :D

Also, since we're on the subject of other uses for PG. . .
Mix it with boric acid, then spray or brush the solution on wood to make it termite proof.

polyethylene glycol and Propylene Glycol are somewhat different substances

Propylene Glycol (PG) Molecular Formula: C3H8O2

Polyethylene Glycol (PEG) Molecular Formula:(C2H4O)nH2O

If you will recall, ethylene Glycol (EG) is a main Ingredient in AntiFreeze:

Both ethylene glycol and propylene glycol are clear, colorless, slightly syrupy liquids at room temperature. Either compound may exist in air in the vapor form, although propylene glycol must be heated or briskly shaken to produce a vapor. Ethylene glycol is odorless but has a sweet taste. Propylene glycol is practically odorless and tasteless.

Both compounds are used to make antifreeze and de-icing solutions for cars, airplanes, and boats; to make polyester compounds; and as solvents in the paint and plastics industries. Ethylene glycol is also an ingredient in photographic developing solutions, hydraulic brake fluids and in inks used in stamp pads, ballpoint pens, and print shops.

The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has classified propylene glycol as an additive that is "generally recognized as safe" for use in food. It is used to absorb extra water and maintain moisture in certain medicines, cosmetics, or food products. It is a solvent for food colors and flavors.

Propylene glycol is also used to create artificial smoke or fog used in fire-fighting training and in theatrical productions.

However, Polyethylene glycol (PEG) is a water-soluble, waxy solid that is used extensively in the cosmetic and toiletry industry. As the molecular weight of PEG increases, viscosity and freezing point increase. PEG 600 is used in WAXWORKS experiments due to its freezing point just below room temperature (about 19.5°C). Although PEG is water soluble, solubility is greatly reduced at temperatures approaching 0°C, allowing experiments to run for 15-20 minutes before dissolution of PEG becomes pronounced. At higher temperatures (above 10°C) this length of time is much shorter.

Isn't that just what you guys wanted, A chemistry lesson from the Ultra useless Purobrat (PB) Molecular Formula: H2O(coffee)

Ok. . . so the "PG" that protects our cigars from low RH, won't aid in the war on terror. BUT it will aid in the war against termites! That still puts it one above the beads! :p

I will agree that it is a great compound for many things. :D

However, Beads are "Better" for our Humis, at least IME

lbrief said:
Ok. . . so the "PG" that protects our cigars from low RH, won't aid in the war on terror. BUT it will aid in the war against termites! That still puts it one above the beads! :p
PG protects from "over humidification" not low humidification. its the water that does that!

I agree with PB, beads work better in my humi that PG.

Now, as far as body armor, I think I'd go with the PG :p