• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Newb pass no more- please put out of misery, rod

Skisomalia

El Triunfador
Anyone like to get one started? Maybe an experienced member could help get this thing off the ground.

edit: List so far

1) Skisomalia
2) 5 O'Clock Somewhere
3) GregSVT
4) ARISTO7
5) br174

If you are a FOG that would like to take over this prospective pass, please do. Just post below with your intent or send me a PM to let me and the rest of the interested parties know.

There are quite a few passes going on right now including 3 newb passes. Wait a little while and I'm sure another one will start soon.

I want in, I see a new one starting up but you need 6 months on the board to get in. Someone help us newbs please

OK, so here is our list so far

1) Skisomalia
2) 5 O'Clock Somewhere
3) GregSVT
4) ARISTO7
5) br174

Would recommend following Jonesy's advice

Really guys, be patient. All of you will get a chance. There are pitfalls in hosting and participating in passes that you just can't imagine at this point.

I'm a noob here myself and I'd really just like to give some noob to noob advice. Patience really is key here. There are plenty of newbie passes that pop up, even a "pass class". I'd really suggest waiting for one of those. Read through some of the old passes, even ones done by established members, and look at all the things that could go wrong. If you do plan on going forward with it find a FOG who'll help at the very least because this isn't a light undertaking.

its funny you guys are stressing patience. I don't think anyone is being impatient. Trust me- I am no padronman, and if you knew me, you would know i am a very patient person.

I figured there would be many newbs interested in starting a pass, and it would be smart to orginize to some degree.

Am i really being out of line? I saw an experienced member pass getting started, and as I was ineligible for obvious reasons but still wanted to partake in the activity, i figured gauging interest might be smart.

If no experienced member wants to step in a leadership position for this pass, then i guess we will have to wait. But i dont think such a question was impatient or out of line.

Just my 2 pesos.

PS: If i am wrong, please explain to me why? I am not going to flip out or anything, but just would like to know.

And to be clear, i have no intention in proceeding with the pass with myself in a leadership position. Never had and never will. I figure a FOG would be a necessity.

I would say there are two main reasons people are concerned. First, you haven't yet built experience participating in passes and running one is not really the best way to get that experience. It is really better to get your feet wet first so you can anticipate the problems, questions and concerns that can come up during a pass and be better equipped to deal with them. Second, we are very protective of our community at large (including newer members like yourself). There have been passes in the past that went south because either the host or participants had bad intentions. Reputation means a lot here and goes a long way towards encouraging the confidence of others that you can handle the responsibility of running a pass AND have the best intentions in doing so. Anyone who was as new to the board as you making this post would get the same response so don't take it as a personal criticism, we just don't know you yet.

maybe this could end up as the new students trying to register for the next "pass class" we create a list and the next "pass class" will be ready to go. cause i definitly want to be in the next pass class

its funny you guys are stressing patience. I don't think anyone is being impatient. Trust me- I am no padronman, and if you knew me, you would know i am a very patient person.

I figured there would be many newbs interested in starting a pass, and it would be smart to orginize to some degree.

Am i really being out of line? I saw an experienced member pass getting started, and as I was ineligible for obvious reasons but still wanted to partake in the activity, i figured gauging interest might be smart.

If no experienced member wants to step in a leadership position for this pass, then i guess we will have to wait. But i dont think such a question was impatient or out of line.

Just my 2 pesos.

PS: If i am wrong, please explain to me why? I am not going to flip out or anything, but just would like to know.
You're not out of line....it's just not something that you can pull off. If you really wanted to get a pass going, I would suggest instead of first recruiting Newbs for a pass that you're not sure will get off the ground, try to recruit at least two experienced members first. This way you have the guidance needed to run the pass, a few shoulders to lean on for problems and proposed trades that are iffy. Like Phil said, we are a community that looks out for one another and although your enthusiasm is commendable, there is no trust built up nor do you have any experienced members lined up to help out. Believe me, we're certainly not reprimanding you, it's just that normally someone that's already run a pass or already has a couple FOG's ready to help starts up a pass sign up.

I would say there are two main reasons people are concerned. First, you haven't yet built experience participating in passes and running one is not really the best way to get that experience. It is really better to get your feet wet first so you can anticipate the problems, questions and concerns that can come up during a pass and be better equipped to deal with them. Second, we are very protective of our community at large (including newer members like yourself). There have been passes in the past that went south because either the host or participants had bad intentions. Reputation means a lot here and goes a long way towards encouraging the confidence of others that you can handle the responsibility of running a pass AND have the best intentions in doing so. Anyone who was as new to the board as you making this post would get the same response so don't take it as a personal criticism, we just don't know you yet.

that is completely reasonable, but i think there was a little bit of confusion.

When i said "Maybe an experienced member could help get this thing off the ground", i was trying to see if a FOG would be willing to run the pass. I understood this concern, and just wanted to put it out there.

Anyhow, i like the poster under your's response. I think such a class would be a great idea, and would be more than willing to sign up.

My honest question though is what would be the best mode for moving into a position to engage in passes? Is a class a necessary prerequisite to a newb pass? When it comes down to it, i want to take the appropriate steps to being able to partake in a pass, and this post was a reflection of that.

And dont worry, i didnt take it personally. Its just that when i think of guys on a forum telling someone to be patient, i think of the padronman fiasco, more specifically Some 18yo kid with more money than brains trying to get everything at once, and i can assure you that is not what i am. I was somewhat suprised to hear the patiance card because i didnt see anything wrong with gauging interest and seeing if someone more experianced would help get the pass set up

Just my 2 pesos.

You're not out of line....it's just not something that you can pull off. If you really wanted to get a pass going, I would suggest instead of first recruiting Newbs for a pass that you're not sure will get off the ground, try to recruit at least two experienced members first. This way you have the guidance needed to run the pass, a few shoulders to lean on for problems and proposed trades that are iffy. Like Phil said, we are a community that looks out for one another and although your enthusiasm is commendable, there is no trust built up nor do you have any experienced members lined up to help out. Believe me, we're certainly not reprimanding you, it's just that normally someone that's already run a pass or already has a couple FOG's ready to help starts up a pass sign up.

Edit for rereading your post

I will do that; point taken. And to clarify, i was not trying to solely recruit newbs, i was trying to gauge interest on the part of the newbs while extending a request to FOGs to help us out by taking a leadership role.

Try a couple of trades Skisomalia. That's one way for people to begin to get to know you. It's also a great way to fill your humidor with new smokes to try. I can't tell you how many smokes I've received from trades that I loved, but would have never purchased on my own. It's really brodened my selection of smokes and helped me develop a more discriminating taste for certain tobaccos. The passes appear regularly and I promise you that there will be one that will have a place for you. I had the same thoughts when I started on this forum just a few months ago. Since then I've had the chance to participate in several awesome passes, play secret santa, make up contests, trade with all sorts of folks, purchase dream smokes from other BOTLs, and most importantly, herf with some really fine people. If you can come out and play, head to Hilands tomorrow afternoon and we can see how you do on your second Opus and talk more about this place.

Geoff

Try a couple of trades Skisomalia. That's one way for people to begin to get to know you. It's also a great way to fill your humidor with new smokes to try. I can't tell you how many smokes I've received from trades that I loved, but would have never purchased on my own. It's really brodened my selection of smokes and helped me develop a more discriminating taste for certain tobaccos. The passes appear regularly and I promise you that there will be one that will have a place for you. I had the same thoughts when I started on this forum just a few months ago. Since then I've had the chance to participate in several awesome passes, play secret santa, make up contests, trade with all sorts of folks, purchase dream smokes from other BOTLs, and most importantly, herf with some really fine people. If you can come out and play, head to Hilands tomorrow afternoon and we can see how you do on your second Opus and talk more about this place.

Geoff

I'll send you a PM regarding highlands (i think i will leave the chica at home manana), but that is some really good advice. Oh, and on the Opus, you've got me hooked; I bought a fiver of them that arrived today, and am trying to let them age a bit (i've made it 8 hours so far). I will heed your recommendations, and try the trade section.

I wasn't trying to be impatient, I was only expressing interest whenever this DOES take place. There's plenty of shit going on as is, I get it. This really if anything is just people saying that whenever it's convenient, they'd be interested in a taking part in a pass, not that they want to jump the gun and get into something they don't know how to deal with. I will wait as long as is necessary to become a part of a real deal pass. Anyway, have a great weekend yall, and hopefully no hard feelings.