• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Newb Question

Shahnbuckeye

Heres a question for you FOG's and fellow Newbs also.

What is your opinion of ISOM's vs. (Dominican, Nicarauguan, Honduran) in general. I know this is a broad question but what I am trying to get at is your opinion of post-embargo ISOMS and their relative value compared to the rest of the cigar world. Has the rest of the world caught up? Has the quality of ISOM slipped? Are the ISOM's worth the money?

Not looking for a stick by stick comparison just a general comparison.

You know what... people smoke a ton of Acid cigars and absolutely love them. Others will only smoke cubans. There is no answer to this question, Bro! :D

Try a lot of cigars and smoke what you like.

It appears you want a very simple answer to a very complex question. There are too many variables to answer your question simply.

Taste, cost, value, (as well as many other variables) are subjective; which will cause MANY different responses.

Different smokes for different folks.....if you like it buy it......if you're willing to buy it, it's worth the price.....to each his own.

Looking to this issue from a European perspective (we can buy Cuban cigars legally) I think that the fact that Cuban cigars are more ore less forbidden fruits in the US makes them desirable, and people get unrealistic expectations from them.
There are Cubans like Jose L Piedra which are not really good and on the other side of the spectrum there are cigars like for instance the H.Upman sir Winston that are shear brilliance (IMO).
The same goes for NC's I am now smoking an AF Rothschild and really enjoy it, maybe tomorrow I will treat myself and smoke an MC2 that I will probably also enjoy.
On a personal note: I think the Cubans can make the best cigars in the world, but other people completly dissagree , so to sum things up it is all a matter of taste and therefore very personal.

Hope this helps,

Rene

Thanks Rene, that is the kind of response I was looking for. I wasn't asking the question to make a decision as to what to smoke or buy, I was just looking for a discussion of the state of the cigar industry today. Something along the lines of Califormia v. French wine. I know tastes are subjective (thank god) and it would be a boring world if they were not. I personally enjoy trying many cigars and comparing their attributes. Thats what makes this hobby fun. Thanks to all who have responded. Cheers

I do think that everybody that likes cigars should at least give the Cubans a try I think the are a part of the cigar family that I would not like to mis.

Rene

Good and bad cigars on both sides.

And IMHO you can't really compare the 2. As a matter of fact I dont think you can compare cigars from any particular part of the world. Especially the ones that are hybrid blends using wrappers, binders and fillers from different parts of the world.

My 2 cents to you , is to smoke as many different cigars as you can from different parts of the world.
You can be the only true judge of what you think is best.

My best advice and not trying to be a smartass, is to do some looking and searching on this topic here on CP. There are a great many threads where this has been debated with many great points.

Thanks Rene, that is the kind of response I was looking for. I wasn't asking the question to make a decision as to what to smoke or buy, I was just looking for a discussion of the state of the cigar industry today. Something along the lines of Califormia v. French wine. I know tastes are subjective (thank god) and it would be a boring world if they were not. I personally enjoy trying many cigars and comparing their attributes. Thats what makes this hobby fun. Thanks to all who have responded. Cheers

Oh man, you just dialed Moki's home phone number.

Good and bad cigars on both sides.

And IMHO you can't really compare the 2. As a matter of fact I dont think you can compare cigars from any particular part of the world. Especially the ones that are hybrid blends using wrappers, binders and fillers from different parts of the world.

My 2 cents to you , is to smoke as many different cigars as you can from different parts of the world.
You can be the only true judge of what you think is best.

x2, I have smoked good and bad from all countries. Its like trucks, some swear by ford other by chevy. Its all about what you like, try and experiment to see what your taste is.

Good Luck brother!!!!!!

From a virtual babe in the realm of ISOM's

I have found that the common name ISOM"s are often not worth the price.....conversely....I have found some off brand ISOM's that I feel are well worth the going price.

And whoever said Chevy makes a truck is smokin dope :)

What about Australian wine?!

Coming from a guy who lives right next to the Barossa Valley, I can safely say (after visiting some of the organic wineries) that we hold our own when it comes to the worlds best wines. Especially the Reds.

*shakes fist*

What about Australian wine?!

Coming from a guy who lives right next to the Barossa Valley, I can safely say (after visiting some of the organic wineries) that we hold our own when it comes to the worlds best wines. Especially the Reds.

*shakes fist*

Don't worry i'm with you on the Australian wines, i have had a few and they are real good. However i do have to throw in wines from the Finger Lakes region, we do have to cover all the bases here :whistling: .