• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Newbie AF/Opus Question

BGarv3

Reaction score
New AF Sungrown??? Anyone know about it or was the Cigar Guy Confused...here is the story.

ok, I go to the mall to get a few things for the kid's school. I spy a smoke shop I have been to a few times but normally they carry the normal mall over priced stuff. Tonight I go in with my son who is 8 and normally I let him choose one cigar for me, sometimes this is good others I end up with an acid of some sort BUT he is learning :D . Of course, he is about a hair from me getting arrested for child abuse because the toy store was opposite the smoke store. There is no walk in humi and I knew this going in BUT they had remodeled and 3 of the 4 walls were now cabinet humis very nice setup.

I start at the first one and taking my time start working my way down the main wall I am thinking to myself prices have dropped greatly since I was in last. I grab a few odd sticks and I hear my son reading some of the smokes descriptions behind me...."Art-uh-Ro Fyou-IN-T O-PUS X" ok he's 8 and don't do the foriegn names too well, I heard all I needed to. I did not want to seem excited or anything :whistling: .....yeah right I spun around like someone just shot me in the a$$ before he got the "PUS" out to find my son holding a plastic bag he pulled out of the humi with 2 Perfection X's marked "Arturo Fuente Opus-X $12.00 ea." I decided this is the humi I want to be in and told my son to hold onto his find. Cigar shop guy comes over, reaches in the humi I am looking in, and grabs ANOTHER bag from behind the 858's and sets it up. I now have 4 perfection X's! I keep looking and the Cigar God(my name for this cigar shop guy now) says "You like those damn AF's? I just got a box of sungrowns over here behind the counter if you want some?"

I THINK these are the Cuban Beli's but not 100%, he was stating that he just had them handed to him from the rep this afternoon and they were supposed to be new to the market. The price(4.50) and size(5.75") was about right and he is not putting them on the shelf yet due to space. I grabbed four of them as well and he tossed in a fifth. I get ready to pay and I have the following....

4 Perfection X's
5 What I believe to be AF-SG-Cuban Beli's(someone correct me if I am wrong)
1 Acid Blondie(My son's pick for me this evening)
5 Onyx something with a "Vintage 1997" wrapper at the foot(never tried the onyx but he had them on special and I have heard good things)
1 AF Short Story(His Last)

Rings up order 48.something :0 , I ask him to "double check it seems you might have missed something" He says "Nope, I gave you a discount for taking that last Short Story and the Opus were 12.00 each bag." I asked if he was sure and he said "I hope so I own the place. By the way, here is my card call me tomorrow and I may give you a good price on this Sungrown box if my son don't like'em" :thumbs: :thumbs:

So to sum it up....I found a new favorite local vendor even if 'local' means a 50 mile drive. :love:

Edited to add: Yes I took him to the toy store for the outstanding find!!

BGarv3,

Please post address and directions immediately. Anyone up for a road trip? Great find, great place.

DevilsMilk said:
BGarv3,

Please post address and directions immediately. Anyone up for a road trip? Great find, great place.
[snapback]221280[/snapback]​

It just southeast of PGH but I think I might want to keep this one as a diamond in the rough and guard it like an ISOM source :laugh: :laugh: . I was going to ask him tomorrow if he had a website or would be interested in setting one up. Hell I would set it up on my leased server and provide hosting....maybe he and I can work something out in trade :whistling:

I know he is officially "out" of Opus for this round but he has "a feeling he wont be out long". I thought these things were pretty hard to get but he seems to think he has some coming in the very near future but they won't be the Perfection X's he said they were going to be smaller.

I was reading in another thread earlier today that someone liked the 858 sungrowns. I am fairly positive that is the "box of 858's" he had the baggies of opus behind. I could take a picture of the one I have left that I got from there a few months ago but I be damned if I can find my digicam. I was looking for that thread because I thought whoever it was liked them and now they were no longer being made. I was going to ask if he had more somewhere and make a list of a few odd things before I go back and see him as he has a lot of Fuente "and older stock" in the humidor in the back and a walk in at home that he just can't get on the floor. I figured I could start making some wish list(s) and maybe find a few very nice deals out there...you know since I am helping him make some room :thumbs: :thumbs:

Nice find, I had nearly the identical thing happen to me today. Went in to a local smoke shop, they had a whole load of opus in almost all of the sizes, all at retail or close to it. I made a large purchase :)

Yeah I love the 858 SG's. Cant find them anywhere since they dont make them anymore. Would be willing to do a trade if they are 858's.

DevilsMilk said:
Yeah I love the 858 SG's. Cant find them anywhere since they dont make them anymore. Would be willing to do a trade if they are 858's.
[snapback]221291[/snapback]​

Works for me I will just drive out there because after looking at the AF Eye Candy Thread I think I saw something else out there I wanted to try. :rolleyes: I have found that the Fuente anything I like the best so far and this guy has two 4' floor to ceiling wall humidors full of various AF product boxed and singles.

Fellas I am thinking I am going to be looking for a new GF before this week is out.

Thats great when you can get deals like that. You will always get great deals and a warm welcome from your local shop if you keep your patronage up with him.I love my local guy. In fact he is probably one of the smallest and most expensive in the area. But that is for the walkin once and awhile customer. He needs to be a little high due to him being in a major mall. But due to me going to see him all the time its 20% or better off for me and usually he can get whatever I want.

Keep going there. He will remember your support and help you due to your patronage.

BGarv3 said:
I was reading in another thread earlier today that someone liked the 858 sungrowns. I am fairly positive that is the "box of 858's" he had the baggies of opus behind. I could take a picture of the one I have left that I got from there a few months ago but I be damned if I can find my digicam. I was looking for that thread because I thought whoever it was liked them and now they were no longer being made. I was going to ask if he had more somewhere and make a list of a few odd things before I go back and see him as he has a lot of Fuente "and older stock" in the humidor in the back and a walk in at home that he just can't get on the floor. I figured I could start making some wish list(s) and maybe find a few very nice deals out there...you know since I am helping him make some room :thumbs: :thumbs:
[snapback]221287[/snapback]​

That was me...I went into a store and the guy had maduro in the sungrown box. I would take some if you can get them. Let me know the details?

I called this afternoon and his son took a few of the sticks from the Cuban Beli Sungrown box but he is holding the rest(about half a box) for me until next weekend or the week after. The time line is based on when he gets me a PRINT OUT of his current backstock and some pricing on it or when I run out and have the time to make the trip down.

The box on the shelf that I thought was Sungrown was just that, the box he had them in...he is currently not sure what is in it but will let me know this week as he pulled it from the shelf while I was on the phone with him. He has an idea of what he has at the shop but the stuff he has at home is basically things he had in another shop BEFORE he moved from a larger stand alone shop to the current location a 2 years or so ago. He has recently been bringing the boxes from home to put on the shelf since remodeling and getting more room and that is how the Opus and some of the other rare stuff is now showing up at the shop.

He now has my email address and phone numbers and he is going to put me on his "call list" for whenever he gets ready to put anything I may be interested in or hard to find/now rare items up on the shelves. Should I get a call for anything great I will, of course, let everyone know.