• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

News from Cuba

moki

el Presidente
hehe -- think any of these were Cohiba Culebras or pipes? :)

FROM CUBA
More than 11,000 boxes of counterfeit cigars confiscated

HAVANA. Ana Leonor Díaz, Grupo Decoro - National police and Customs inspectors said they had confiscated 11,935 boxes of counterfeit cigars and closed more than 150 underground factories in a series of raids.

The cigars, bearing the most prestigious brands the Cuban government sells as a source of foreign exchange, sell at lower prices in the black market, primarily to tourists, and experts say their quality is indistinguishable from that of the officially approved product.

Customs agents said they had confiscated hundreds of boxes from visitors leaving the island from the Havana and Varadero airports.

In a series of raids in three Havana municipalities, police found more than 150 factories where the cigars were made, packed in cedar boxes and fitted with the rings that would presumably attest to their authenticity.

Tobacco industry authorities adopted a holographic seal years back that was supposedly tamper-proof. Yet, during the last two years, they have uncovered evidence of a parallel, clandestine industry engaged in the sale and export of cigars that they have not been able to eradicate

bearing the most prestigious brands the Cuban government sells

I'll bet they weren't:

Vegas Robaina
San Cristobal
Ramon Allones
Saint Luis Rey

Odds are they were:
Cohiba
Montecristo

This is one of the main reasons I avoid Cohiba & Montecristo. Not only that, I'm not big on the flavor of those two brands. Who knows, maybe if I smoke enough REAL Cohibas, I may change my mind someday. :p

experts say their quality is indistinguishable from that of the officially approved product.

Well, if that truly was the case, I don't imagine I'd have a problem smoking a counterfeit like that.

CC - I'm sure you know if you're cautious you don't have to worry about fakes in any brand. If you don't care for Cohibas that's a matter of taste or lack thereof :p Don't avoid them because you're apprehensive about counterfeits. I'd hate to see anyone miss out on a potentially favorite smoke due to fake-o-phobia :D