• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Next in the war on life's little pleasures: Soda

morcerf

From an email I received:

A perspective article published on April 8, 2009 in the New England Journal of Medicine (NEJM), raises the idea of adding an additional tax on high sugar drinks. The NEJM article notes that sugared drinks may represent the single largest contributor to the obesity epidemic in the United States. They identify drinks such as soda sweetened with sugar, corn syrup, or other sweeteners and other carbonated and uncarbonated drinks, such as sports and energy drinks.

ABC news reported in an April 8, 2009 news story that the governor of New York was proposing an 18 percent tax on sugared beverages. The ABC article addresses the question if higher taxes would lower the consumption of sugared drinks by looking at the example of tobacco. Increased taxes on tobacco have been credited with dramatically lowering usage. They then claim that economic studies on soft drinks show that a 15 percent tax on sugared beverages should drop consumption by 12 to 15 percent, and higher taxes would have stronger effects.

The authors of the NEJM article summed up their conclusions by stating, "A penny-per-ounce excise tax could reduce consumption of sugared beverages by more than 10%. It is difficult to imagine producing behavior change of this magnitude through education alone, even if government devoted massive resources to the task. In contrast, a sales tax on sugared drinks would generate considerable revenue, and as with the tax on tobacco, it could become a key tool in efforts to improve health."

Opening quote of the article:

Sugar, rum, and tobacco are commodities which are nowhere necessaries of life, which are become objects of almost universal consumption, and which are therefore extremely proper subjects of taxation.
— Adam Smith, The Wealth of Nations, 1776

Full article:
http://content.nejm.org/cgi/content/full/NEJMp0902392

Take it, only make the tax MORE on the high fructose corn syrup garbage, and LESS on pure cane. Lets see the nuances of high-end sugars start to come to market.

I'd still pay my tax on good iced tea, and you can tax the soda garbage, forget obesity, look at obvious dental implications.

Take it, only make the tax MORE on the high fructose corn syrup garbage, and LESS on pure cane. Lets see the nuances of high-end sugars start to come to market.

I'd still pay my tax on good iced tea, and you can tax the soda garbage, forget obesity, look at obvious dental implications.

I've read several articles that state the health differences between high fructose corn syrup and cane sugar are negligible. Basically, it's sugar either way ;)

- Tim

High fructose corn syrup is said to block the production of the hormone that tells you you're full . . . so, basically, it acts to increase consumption of any food product it's in. Geee . . . they wouldn't do something like THAT to people for a buck in this country, now, would they? :rolleyes:

Anyhoo, the ingredient to pay attention to isn't the sugar, in whatever form---it's the citric acid. Check the label; it's there in pretty much EVERY soda or sweet tea type product. People think "citric? like vitamen C?" but that's not what it is (vitamen C is ascorbic acid).

It's an industrial solvent. Friend of mine used to use it in a sprayer, to clean the sugar sludge out of winery tanks at Gallo. It's there in your soda to keep more sugar in solution than is possible by any natural means. To make that soda higher in sugar content than anything that exists in nature . . . anything that our bodies evolved to cope with.

I stopped drinking sodas years ago, so the tax isn't a concern for me . . . other than the obligatory rolling of the eyes at the seemingly endless attempts, having failed to legislate morality and clean-living and other high-minded-sounding virtues, governments are willing to make to coerce the populace toward them through social engineering and taxation.

~Boar

I've read several articles that state the health differences between high fructose corn syrup and cane sugar are negligible. Basically, it's sugar either way ;)

- Tim

Yea, but I like sugar sweetened drinks WAYYYY better :cool: